I'm done with anything made by Craftsman if it has a gas engine

I used to have a 23cc Craftsman leaf blower. It slowly became hard to start until it refuesed to start.

Upon disassembly, I found that the cylinder had come loose from the crankcase. Visually, there was no damage so I ordered a gasket kit (was a Husqvarna kit) and it was reassembled. It never did start with ease like it did before. I finally junked it.

I have a Craftman string trimmer with the same 23cc engine that's been trouble free for over 15 years; except for the fuel tubing becoming brittle.

My Craftsman mower has a Honda engine. Obviously, this too has been trouble free for over 20 years.

I inherited a almost new Husqvarna mower that had the same Honda engine. This one was like a Briggs-Stratton engine. It was very hard to start. I always suspected it was the automatic choke system that was the culprit. I finally gave it away.

I've got two of these little Craftsman mowers and they've been real good.

Sorry to spoil this Craftsman hating thread. :giggle:

I'm seeing a trend here. It looks like Craftsman's older mowers were pretty decent. What is this MTD company, and why do they seem to have their mitts all over every walk behind mower? Sounds like these are the ones to stay away from...

MTD = Mower Trash Dump :D

It's a company that makes cheap mowers because one company making all of them is the only way they can sell them that cheap :sneaky:

Most of them have the cheapest Briggs and Stratton engine available.

Thankfully, that segment is being taken over by cheap electric mowers like Sun Joe. And if you have a small lawn, you don't need a gas engine anyway.

Murray is who made Craftsman mowers years ago. Murray decks of 20 years ago have a distinct look. The average gas mower today has a smaller engine than years ago. Even after B&S switched to OHV engines, they got smaller.

Honda up'd the size of their engines on all but the most basic push, non bagging model. You can get a 200cc 21" Honda mower.

I started a thread about a Lawn-Boy weeks ago. My dad bought a new Toro Super Recycler with the 190cc B&S engine wanting a powerful engine to deal with fall leaves. He likes it.

I've got two of these little Craftsman mowers and they've been real good.

Sorry to spoil this Craftsman hating thread. :giggle:
I'm glad you like your Craftsman mowers, but in my case, the hate is justified...

My 20 year old Craftsman mower still does the job.
I think my rider is from 1999, the HST is getting pretty "loose" but every year it hangs on, and the simple filterless motor seems to run like new. I probably only put 12-15 gal through it a year for hopefully less than 30 hrs so it make go for a lot longer?

I have 2 JD JX75 and 1 JD 14SB commercial grade 21” walk behind mowers. The 14SB has a bad blade brake clutch so it’s my parts mower. All have the Kawasaki 6 HP pressure lubed engines with oil filter, 5 speed Tuff Torq transmissions, aluminum deck, blade brake clutch etc. I gave $70 for the one on the right about 10 years ago, and $150 for the one on the left about 18 months ago on Craigslist, and I gave the seller $150 cash without even haggling with him! They’re both 1998 models and sold for about $700 each 25 years ago. I check CL often ( especially in the winter months ) and snapped them up, knowing mowers like these are no longer built and are much more robust than anything on todays market. I wouldn’t trade either one of my 25 year old JD mowers for any new 21” gas powered mower from Lowe’s, Sears, HD etc.

Attachments

• 32CC7D36-BDB9-4760-9392-24695830C45E.jpeg
    32CC7D36-BDB9-4760-9392-24695830C45E.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 35
Times have changed. MTD used to be a great company, when they still made their products in Ohio. There are plenty of old MTD's still out there but their new products are Chinese trash.

Fashion and rivet on a new exit chute out of aluminum sheet or something similar. On the gas cap, maybe replace the gasket with a thicker silicon rubber one or similar - might help hold it on with the vibration.

All consumer product have been cheapened, because low cost sells. If your buying low cost you should just plan on fixing, rebuilding or replacing something up front. If you end up not having to, then consider it a win. Or you can go spend triple the money on a John Deere or something.

Once in a while you get lucky. 10 years ago this summer I bought the cheapest Troy Bilt (MTD) mower Lowes sold. 140CC engine - has plenty of power for my needs. Haven't had one problem with it. Every spring I sharpen the blade, change the oil, air filter and spark plug, fill it full of ethanol free and I am off for the summer. No different this year so far. Knock on wood.

I'm seeing a trend here. It looks like Craftsman's older mowers were pretty decent. What is this MTD company, and why do they seem to have their mitts all over every walk behind mower? Sounds like these are the ones to stay away from...
MTD= Modern Tool and Die. The better higher end mowers were made by Husqvarna having a model number begining with 917.... any other designation were made by MTD.

Times have changed. MTD used to be a great company, when they still made their products in Ohio. There are plenty of old MTD's still out there but their new products are Chinese trash.
Some of their stuff is still USA made and seems to be of good quality. My Ultima ZT2 I purchased in 2022 for example, but that’s a $4,700 zero turn so kind of apples to oranges.

Also when did friggin push mowers get so expensive? I swear I paid like $350 for a Toro just a few years ago, they’re $500 now!

Some of their stuff is still USA made and seems to be of good quality. My Ultima ZT2 I purchased in 2022 for example, but that’s a $4,700 zero turn so kind of apples to oranges.

Also when did friggin push mowers get so expensive? I swear I paid like $350 for a Toro just a few years ago, they’re $500 now!
I guess push mowers are one of the many items that has gone up double or triple the rate of inflation...maybe they're doing it to try to get people to quit buying gas powered lawn mowers...

Last edited:
For many years, prior to the mid/late 2000s, 98% of Craftsman walk-behind lawnmowers were manufactured by Roper/AYP/Electrolux (and used Tecumseh engines almost exclusively), NOT Murray or MTD. Murray and MTD did supply a few riders, but not many.
There are really good mowers available, but the prices are very high. IMO the 21" aluminum deck Toro Super Recycler is probably the best homeowner lawnmower you can buy, but, for 2023 they have reduced the product line to only four models, three with B&S EXi OHV gas engines and one 60v battery powered, all self propelled. Two years ago you could purchase them for prices starting at $500, the prices now start at $800 and go up from there, pretty stiff for the average homeowner. Furthermore, they are not readily available.
I have noticed that gas engine lawnmowers are rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. This is a big part of the reason why Honda is getting out of the business. FYI, Honda dealers have been told that Honda will continue to supply parts for 7 years after their departure.

I don't know about the MTD walk behinds but I was had a MTD Yard Machine riding mower, 38 inch deck and 14Hp single cylinder B&S motor. I used it for 20 years and never had an issue with it, the deck did grow a couple of smaller holes over the years, but the machine itself was rock solid reliable. Guy I sold it to still cuts his lawn with it, its probably 25 years old by now.

MTD = Mower Trash Dump :D

It's a company that makes cheap mowers because one company making all of them is the only way they can sell them that cheap :sneaky:

Most of them have the cheapest Briggs and Stratton engine available.

Thankfully, that segment is being taken over by cheap electric mowers like Sun Joe. And if you have a small lawn, you don't need a gas engine anyway.

MTD produces about majority of the push mowers on the market, from what I have seen.
even the non MTD products share enough of the same parts to make me think there is one source for some of these parts
and everybody manufacturing mower products uses the same stuff..

Was told at a SEARS store (remember those?) that the lifetime warranty only applied to the none-power tools a few years ago. Message to self not to rely on their reputation of their powered yard equipment and tools, although my battery powered impact driver continues to serve on regular tire rotations.

My parents bought a lawnmower and snow blower years ago when they were painted green . Not sure of the year but both were beasts . (y)

Back