New Smith & Wesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any experience with that new Smith & Wesson Military & Law Enforcement handgun? I have heard that it is very similiar to the Glock.

I have very little doubt that it's similar to the Glock, since their first attempt was nearly a direct copy, and they've incorporated many of the same features into the new gun.

I've read good things about it so far.

I've heard both good and bad. The individual owners seem to like them but, the Law Enforcement folks are having their problems with them. I have owned different models of Smith and Wesson Semi Automatic pistols and found the polymer framed ones to be a headache but, the aluminum or stainless framed one to be fine.

After carrying both semi autos and revolvers on the job I found I liked the revolvers far more. Seen too many malfunctions with semi autos. I have never seen a revolver malfunction, ever. Never had the confidence that if a semi auto malfunctioned on me that I would be able to get it up and running before the bad guy got off a round in my direction. You can be taught to tap, rack, and fire a semi auto should it poop out on you but, time is precious and too many folks are over confident in their gun handling ability.

Try a S&W revolver if you have not already. They are great. I trusted my life to them without question.

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
I have never seen a revolver malfunction, ever.

I have more than once. It's usually a timing issue. If you shoot in competition much you will see revolvers fail.

I have no comment on the Smith M&P's. I trust my Glocks to much.

I don't plan on buying a Smith & Wesson, but I will be shooting their .40 cal ammo through my new SIG P229R when I get it!

I have a M&P.40 and it's sooo much better than my Glock! Go to MP-Pistol.com for more info i=on the M&P guns. Good luck! Nothing against the Glocks, they have served me well. I just had to try one of them these
laugh.gif

"If you shoot in competition much you will see revolvers fail."

Rarely, and typically on lightened triggers, but I saw autos fail often, due to ammo loaded too soft, ammo loaded too hot, bullets too heavy, bullets too light, bent magazines, rough feed ramps, not holding it hard enough, etc., etc.

I've seen guys do respectable slow fire scores at 50 yards with a snub nose revolver, and guys quit a practical pistol station after running out of ammo because they used all of their 15 rd magazines and didn't get 1 hit, and the other way around. Practice makes perfect, but from what I've seen in civilian hands revolvers seem to be much more reliable than semi-autos.

There used to be a saying that a man with a six shot revolver would shoot just one or two rounds on target and save his other rounds in case he needed them. These semi-automatic guns encourage people to blast away with 15 round magazines and hope for a round being on target.

A .22 round on target is more effective then 15 .40 cal rounds that miss the target. And you can't just hit the target. You have to hit the target in the right places. People have been wounded by .44 mag rounds and killed instantly with .380 rounds.

The first thing you have to do is hit the target. Even with a submachine gun you still have to aim.

"The first thing you have to do is hit the target. Even with a submachine gun you still have to aim."

Shotguns too. I remember at one practical shoot station a 12ga was used to knock over a bowling pin at 8 yds or so. A LOT of people missed, some more than twice, before they figured out that unlike on TV or in the movies you still have to aim the thing.

Quote:

There used to be a saying that a man with a six shot revolver would shoot just one or two rounds on target and save his other rounds in case he needed them. These semi-automatic guns encourage people to blast away with 15 round magazines and hope for a round being on target.

A .22 round on target is more effective then 15 .40 cal rounds that miss the target. And you can't just hit the target. You have to hit the target in the right places. People have been wounded by .44 mag rounds and killed instantly with .380 rounds.

The first thing you have to do is hit the target. Even with a submachine gun you still have to aim.

Yep, spray and pray.
smirk.gif

I have a S&W 696P (7 shot .357) with a 4 inch barrel as my go to in an emergency. I am hoping to get an HK 45USP because I really like to shoot with it (and on a steel range it is much more satisfying), but even then I would probably grab for the .357 first. One bad primer and you have lost valuable seconds. I probalby only need 1 or 2 good hits with the .357 and whoever is coming will get discouraged. Plus my wife can shoot the .357 with really good accuracy. She would rather shoot a 357 over a 9mm.

Quote:

"If you shoot in competition much you will see revolvers fail."

Rarely, and typically on lightened triggers, but I saw autos fail often, due to ammo loaded too soft, ammo loaded too hot, bullets too heavy, bullets too light, bent magazines, rough feed ramps, not holding it hard enough, etc., etc.

I've seen guys do respectable slow fire scores at 50 yards with a snub nose revolver, and guys quit a practical pistol station after running out of ammo because they used all of their 15 rd magazines and didn't get 1 hit, and the other way around. Practice makes perfect, but from what I've seen in civilian hands revolvers seem to be much more reliable than semi-autos.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the light trigger issue. It is a timing issue and not a sear spring tension issue. More often this is caused by volume, not light loads.

I will agree that revolvers fail far less than semi's. Obviously I am biased and often refer to the Glock platform as having revolver like reliability.

My point was basically if you think revolvers will not fail you, your mistaken.

Again, not to hijack the thread, I have no comment on the new Smith pistol.

I've never seen the new S&W but used a Glock as a Deputy Sheriff. Loved it. If the new S&W is anything like the Glock it should be a real winner. Some folks alro refered to the .40 S&W as .40 Short & Weak.. meaning, they should have done better.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

'Unfortunately revolvers are low capacity and typically slower to reload.'

For those of us that love revolvers and trust them highly, we gladly trade off the lower capacity stigma and gain a platform that is not bothered by feeding concerns (shape of the bullet nose or hollowpoint opening) nor reliant on reliability issues (a certain powder level to develop enough energy to operate the slide on a semiauto; eg--some semiautos are fussy and need a certain recoil spring to operate with a selected load)

also with enough practice, a revolver shooter can put his/her shots into the heart/lung box or brain box and won't need to rely on a higher amount of rounds

also, the more powerful handgun rounds are meant to be used in revolvers...

.357 magnum, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, .454 cassul, .480 ruger, .500 smith & wesson magnum, .460 s&w magnum, and a few select custom loads that are made in lower quantities (FYI...I do know about the Magnum Research Desert Eagle semiauto and it's selected chamberings; this gun is the drastic exception to the rule)
offtopic.gif
feedtroll.gif
deadhorse.gif
spankme.gif
hornets_nest.gif
bop.gif
pat2.gif
box.gif
chairs.gif

Carried a revolver (Model 10 - five inch) for years without a hitch. Was issued a DAO Model 5946 as a replacement. Have a four-inch Model 19 of my own, amongst others. I am well aware that the revolver platform is appropriately criticised for reloading under duress but I still like it. S&W are putting out eight-round .357's these days. I think that I would carry one of those in stainless in a heartbeat. I do like what I see in the new M&P line, all the same.

John.

If I was in the back woods ANYWHERE, I'd trust a revolver HANDS DOWN to any semi auto. Murphy's Law.............NUFF SAID. When you *NEED* her to fire, a revolver is the only way. And with BuffaloBore ammo, 10 shots of pray and spray is about equal to anything they offer in 357 and up if you are remotely in the kill box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back