New Roll Cart configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting Superflop. I ended up buying the SLF80A I posted a link to.....The seller marked it down $10 with free shipping right after I posted ($189 total).

If the locking switch was in a different place, Like near the handle.....I might have considered a locking one. I can see myself knocking the switch off!

I also have a side project to make a extra long 1/2" non-flex head ratchet out of one I already have. It's the most worthless tool in it present state.....10 1/4" long Snap-on S936 that I bought with a used tool box.
I going to buy a stick of Chromoly pipe & weld it to the ratchet. I got to see what diameter & wall thickness fits best over the handle.

Q8sY0Ut.jpg

Last edited:
Knipex makes good stuff the Cobras are awesome. I bought mine about 15 years ago, back then Lowes had them at a good price. The jaw shape and hard, sharp teeth are great. I hate vice grips because the teeth always flatten out, then they slip.

I once sharpened the teeth on a pair of vice grips with a file, then heated them with a torch and quenched them in oil. I didn't temper them though and the first time that I tried to use them afterward they snapped.

Knipex and grip-on make excellent locking pliers with a much better release mechanism.

Clinebarger, even though they arent as smooth as a snapon ratchet. Check out the long 1/2" ratchets from Armstrong/matco their locking mechanism is much better, located in the flex joint and the switch is not as obtrusive as the snapon version.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Knipex and grip-on make excellent locking pliers with a much better release mechanism.

Clinebarger, even though they arent as smooth as a snapon ratchet. Check out the long 1/2" ratchets from Armstrong/matco their locking mechanism is much better, located in the flex joint and the switch is not as obtrusive as the snapon version.

Thanks, But I bought the Snapon non-locking already.

yeah, I only buy snap-on ratchets myself, I do have a couple cornwell and that partsmaster I got for free though. One of my coworkers has an armstrong and i know matco rebrands armstrong ratchets.

im not sure trav, we do have a matco guy that comes here and ive seen their ratchet, there is no doubt about them being armstrong. armstrong is a APex tool group company.

Last edited:
Matco has another company making their 88T ratchets now, AJ Manufacturing in Chicago.

When the Apex/Armstrong plants were in turmoil (before being closed permanently), Matco had to find another source. The design is the same as the Apex produced ratchets.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I didn't know that thanks for the info, it makes sense.

That's sad......Just about every older quality USA made Lathe came with Armstrong wrenches & tool holders. Another American Industrial Icon lost!

The SLF80A showed up today, USPS left it on my front porch....Glad it wasn't stolen! Gotta send my MAC ratchet in to get fixed & retire it to the home garage.

w4UJhLM.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one of the best tools for the price, Saved my behind so many times it's paid for itself 20 times over!!
It used to be a under $100, It a little over now....Still a great buy!

JeML2hB.jpg

C8mwSKJ.jpg

Also picked up this Snap-on XDHFM2122 0-Degree offset 21-22mm wrench for suspension work. I've been using a worn out 13/16" wrench for 21mm nuts forever. Decided it was time for a good wrench now that I run across a lot more 21mm fasteners!!

The worn out 13/16" wrench (1965 model).....
G8fKd7G.jpg

pZuHrbv.jpg

The shop I work at supplies 1/2" drive impact sockets, At first it was OK....Lately I find myself having to track down commonly used sockets that are being "stored" in peoples tool boxes.

As you can tell, I don't have room for a FULL set of 1/2" drive sockets in my roll cart & it's already WAY over weight!!

Welded some 1/2" bolts to the leg brace of my Shure trans table, Snap-on 10-24, 29, 30, 32, 34, 35, 36, & a shallow 36mm at the end.
9q5UMI0.jpg

kZhmMYm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back