New Roll Cart configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How strong is that SO flex head ratchet? I need something stronger than my 120XP.

I said that I would let you guys know about the strength of the extra long FLLF80 ratchet. I just got it yesterday.......But I have been using a coworkers FHLLF80 quite a bit & it WILL handle a least 300 ft lbs!
I broke loose a Duramax Crank Bolt using a cheater pipe with it & they usually take 350-400 ft lbs to loosen.
Really thought doing this would break/shear the drive off....Your still only working with a 3/8" square after all.

I actually broke some teeth on my MAC 1/2" ratchet trying to remove the same bolt (To be fair it is old & worn out), Think I'm going to buy a extra long 1/2" flex head for task like this.

You can see the Flex Head Joint is redesigned compared to the shorter flex heads, I imagine the extra length was causing some issues.

My SO Rep also warrantied out my FCF936 for a FCF80......Very nice ratchet action!!!!

The 2nd pictue is to show the length difference between the FHLLF80 & FLLF80
25JiEVr.jpg

RamUk8U.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How strong is that SO flex head ratchet? I need something stronger than my 120XP.

I said that I would let you guys know about the strength of the extra long FLLF80 ratchet. I just got it yesterday.......But I have been using a coworkers FHLLF80 quite a bit & it WILL handle a least 300 ft lbs!
I broke loose a Duramax Crank Bolt using a cheater pipe with it & they usually take 350-400 ft lbs to loosen.
Really thought doing this would break/shear the drive off....Your still only working with a 3/8" square after all.

I actually broke some teeth on my MAC 1/2" ratchet trying to remove the same bolt (To be fair it is old & worn out), Think I'm going to buy a extra long 1/2" flex head for task like this.

You can see the Flex Head Joint is redesigned compared to the shorter flex heads, I imagine the extra length was causing some issues.

My SO Rep also warrantied out my FCF936 for a FCF80......Very nice ratchet action!!!!

The 2nd pictue is to show the length difference between the FHLLF80 & FLLF80
25JiEVr.jpg

RamUk8U.jpg

My coworker and I both bought one as soon as the tool man showed them to us and offered us $20 off for trading in a broken junk ratchet. My coworker's had a defect, the drive sheared off on his removing a brake caliper. No pipe or extra leverage was used, I don't even think he was pulling that hard. His replacement has been fine. I haven't really thought too much about the load that I have put on mine. It has done anything that I have asked of it so far.

I am really surprised the 3/8 drive didn't shear with that kind of torque being applied. Nice ratchet! Keep posting pictures like that and I wont have any pocket money left. Its like posting a pic of an cold beer in a frosty mug to a hooch hound.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AVB
My coworker and I both bought one as soon as the tool man showed them to us and offered us $20 off for trading in a broken junk ratchet. My coworker's had a defect, the drive sheared off on his removing a brake caliper. No pipe or extra leverage was used, I don't even think he was pulling that hard. His replacement has been fine. I haven't really thought too much about the load that I have put on mine. It has done anything that I have asked of it so far.

Yeah, My Rep said he sells a ton of them.....Me not wanting the plastic/rubber handle is the reason I had to order mine.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am really surprised the 3/8 drive didn't shear with that kind of torque being applied. Nice ratchet! Keep posting pictures like that and I wont have any pocket money left. Its like posting a pic of an cold beer in a frosty mug to a hooch hound.
lol.gif

Me too!!!!....I won't be doing that often. I'll be saving my pennies for a long 1/2" drive, Any suggestions Trav?? A SO one is probably $250 & I really don't want to spend that much on something I use maybe once a week.

I hear you brother.....I'm a tool addict as well!

Last edited:
Bought some Ear Clamp Pliers today as my previous employer thought I owed him mine (Long story & I'm not going to talk trash behind someones back)

Knipex model# 10 99 1220 with front & side jaws, My previous Knipex set just had front jaws.

SADwGKG.jpg

Nice! Have the tried the Knipex Cobra pliers yet? I got the 3 piece set last year, really nice.
I would go Snap-On for an extra long 1/2", no German company makes an extra long, 15" is about the longest I have seen.

Nice! Have the tried the Knipex Cobra pliers yet? I got the 3 piece set last year, really nice.
I would go Snap-On for an extra long 1/2", no German company makes an extra long, 15" is about the longest I have seen.

They are very $$$, but they look very tough. I just wish they had a holding mechanism and be hands free like traditional vice grips. Then again, maybe a death grip is a nice thing?

Good use for vice grips. One of the bolts broke when I was replacing the control arms of her Volvo. This bushing is very very problematic. Lots of space as you can see so there's lots of movement in the rubber. Had to give it a death grip since the broken bolt was just spinning freely in the sleeve since the bushing was basically non existent. Had to back it off with a ratchet so I was able to get a pry bar in there and zip it off with my impact. Had to do this on both sides and was saying the Bible the whole time.

I think I paid less than $80 for the 3 on Amazon, the best price now is Walmart with free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KNIPEX-Tools-...13=&veh=sem

Course I have vice grips but these work great when the piece is bigger than the vice grip jaws like some large rotten EGR fittings. Its a shame no more USA made vice grips but Knipex makes some nice ones Made in Germany with very strong teeth.
Like the job you are doing good old vice grips have saved the bacon many many times especially in the rust belt.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-4104250-Lo...10P1Z7P8S4E7SJ5

Bought some Ear Clamp Pliers today as my previous employer thought I owed him mine (Long story & I'm not going to talk trash behind someones back)

Knipex model# 10 99 1220 with front & side jaws, My previous Knipex set just had front jaws.

SADwGKG.jpg

Thanks for posting these! I ordered them this morning. They'll make an up coming project a bit easier for me.

I think I paid less than $80 for the 3 on Amazon, the best price now is Walmart with free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KNIPEX-Tools-...13=&veh=sem

Course I have vice grips but these work great when the piece is bigger than the vice grip jaws like some large rotten EGR fittings. Its a shame no more USA made vice grips but Knipex makes some nice ones Made in Germany with very strong teeth.
Like the job you are doing good old vice grips have saved the bacon many many times especially in the rust belt.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-4104250-Lo...10P1Z7P8S4E7SJ5

I was thinking you meant these. Oops.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/KNIPEX-Tools-...amp;athena=true

Some of my coworkers have them.....I have more pressing needs at the moment. Being out of general repair/flat rate for 15 years has put me behind on some hand tools. What do you use them for mostly?......I know you can use them anywhere a pair of adjustable pliers are normally used, But I don't use adjustable pliers very much & don't even have a "standard sized pair" in my roll cart. Just my giant Blue Points & a pair of Cornwell branded Channellock Parrot Nose.

I use the Blue Points for trans work....Lacing 3-4 clutches on 4L60E/700R4--Checking rear end-play on 4L80E/TH400 or on Brake Caliper pistons that can't be depressed in place with a screwdriver.
I use the Parrot Nosed Pliers for Inner/Outer Tie Rods & Adjuster Sleeves or to completely trash something more than it already was.....LOL.

Thanks for the 1/2" ratchet info. Never hurts to ask. I jumped on E-Bay & Craigslist to check some prices.....WOW, Beat-up used ones are within 15-20% of a brand new ratchet. This is one of the better deals at $199.....But a new one retails for $217. I would rather give the $18 + tax to my Rep for replacing some of my EOL tools!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thanks for posting these! I ordered them this morning. They'll make an up coming project a bit easier for me.

Just so you know.....These will NOT do on some of the more heavy duty ear clamps like found on CV Boots. I use them for Fuel, Trans, & smaller Coolant hoses because I absolutely HATE worm clamps!

2 of my more favorite tools.....Ratcheting T-Handles (Reversible & Lockable)

1/4" Drive, Part# TMRT8
1/4" Magnetic Hex/Bit, Part# SSDMRT8A

I use these for tightening low torque fasteners. Like Interior Trim screws/bolts, Sheet metal pan/cover bolts, Belly Pan bolts, Plastic cover screws/bolts & Overhead Adjustment.

vwFoXgl.jpg

I use the Cobra in place of Channellock they are much more adjustments with a locking push button and a jaw profile that grips better on hex, square or round.
Even if you don't need the larger sizes the smallest one is a God send sometimes, I needed to change a sender in a confined space but little vice grips wouldn't open wide enough to get a real good grip.

The alternative was to pull the coil pack and a few other bits so I could get a socket on it. The little cobra did the trick with no problem. I find myself using them for all sorts of stuff like holding bolts, pulling springs. I used them yesterday to install the oil drain extension pipe on my compressor.

Just so you know.....These will NOT do on some of the more heavy duty ear clamps like found on CV Boots. I use them for Fuel, Trans, & smaller Coolant hoses because I absolutely HATE worm clamps!

Thanks for the info. My project is for a fuel line, and I have to get another look at a PS return line.

I use the Cobra in place of Channellock they are much more adjustments with a locking push button and a jaw profile that grips better on hex, square or round.
Even if you don't need the larger sizes the smallest one is a God send sometimes, I needed to change a sender in a confined space but little vice grips wouldn't open wide enough to get a real good grip.

The alternative was to pull the coil pack and a few other bits so I could get a socket on it. The little cobra did the trick with no problem. I find myself using them for all sorts of stuff like holding bolts, pulling springs. I used them yesterday to install the oil drain extension pipe on my compressor.

Yeah, I checked out a pair.....I didn't know they adjusted so easy! I can see that coming in handy when your in a tight spot & need to adjust them. Thanks Trav.

Thanks for the info. My project is for a fuel line, and I have to get another look at a PS return line.

They work great for PS return hose clamping!

That 1/2" drive locking flex head is money, its also dual 80 the handle is nice for when you are really pulling on it same with the locking flex... nothing like having it flex when you are really getting afterit. Between this and my long handle cornwell @72 tooth count i reach for this much more often.

The one on the left is a 160 tooth 1/2" i got for free from partsmaster.. pretty nice ratchet came with a full set of universal sockets.

Oh and the 10" knipex are fantastic. The different geometry allows you to use them and requore much less grip strength. And their mini bolt cutters are excellent for rocing those stainless earclamps that never want to cut. Becuase of the way they grip they will hold themselves on a bolt or pipe without you touching them.

And if you dont have some Ronan. 401 multi cuts you are missing out.

The other snapons the 3/8 and 1/4 i bought cause i like the color and sometimes i am weak Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back