New Quaker State Ultimate Protection

I know what the Fischer-Tropsch process is but it's interesting how Pennzoil Platinum and QS Full Syn to this point are known to be mostly GTL usually say "Interchangeable Low Viscosity Base Oil" on the SDS, but the new Ultimate Protection specifically calls out that it's GTL, I wonder if thid may mark an intent to cut down on GTL usage in the regular Quaker State Full Syn going forward?
Good points sir. I’m intrigued

Attachments

• 81A7225B-DDC1-4E38-88D2-EC8DF0022A5C.jpeg
    81A7225B-DDC1-4E38-88D2-EC8DF0022A5C.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 28
What the **** (insert your favorite angry word here)?? The Fischer-Tropsch distillate can be mixed into pesticides that are sprayed on food crops. Nothing like spraying heavily modified hydrocarbons directly on food sources. Thanks, federal admin of 2015!
Sounds like they're using them in applications in the food production and agricultural industries where PAOs and other mineral oils are already in use, in that case is GTL derived mineral oil really any worse than PAOs or mineral oils processed from crude oil?

I had no issues with QSUD D1 / Gen 2 from my stash ... Trying to see which of the new D1 / Gen 3 Quaker State synthetic oils I may try : QSFS 5W30 or this new QSUP 5W30 ?
Yeah I have about 9 jugs of QSFS dating back to early '21. (I started writing my purchase dates on my jugs and the mfg code dates for cycling my inventory.) Plus one jug of PUP, a jug of PP, and M1EP 0W-30 I have to use up. I run PUP in the colder months since I get piston slap/rod knock/valve tick below 45 degrees. But run QSFS/QSUD from March to Oct. Finally used up all of my Castrol Edge from '20. Eager to try this QSUP next. I'll probably load that up in place of PUP for this next late fall/winter.

Reactions: wlk
Quaker State Synthetic Oils = confusing marketing .
You got that right! Back in '20-'22. I was going crazy looking for QSUD not realizing it was NOS. Then it simply changed over to QSFS, and all the QSHM would hit the shelves then just dissappear. Depending on production/promotion/availability then you would only see QSAM and QSFS 10W 30 and 0W40 or 5W40 on the shelf. You would have to get 5W30 as soon as it would hit the shelves or you weren't getting any. Hence my stock pile.

I would recommend sticking with the grade toyota recommends. We had a 2019 Highlander 3.5L that blew two engines in the first 10k miles. That new hybrid will call for 0W-16.
Are you blaming the engine problems on the oil, and specifically the viscosity that you ran? What oil and viscosity did you use in those engines? What were the operating conditions?
I'm not Mathew but perhaps they were referring to Warranty requirements? If it calls for 0-16w & you run a different viscosity they can try to deny warranty repair on a broken engine?.

I'm not Mathew but perhaps they were referring to Warranty requirements? If it calls for 0-16w & you run a different viscosity they can try to deny warranty repair on a broken engine?.
False. Oil viscosities are recommendations. If a manufacturer denies a claim they’re supposed to have to prove your item caused the failure.

False. Oil viscosities are recommendations. If a manufacturer denies a claim they’re supposed to have to prove your item caused the failure.
Good to know. I'd thought that I read that somewhere already. I suppose they could attempt to "Prove" your oil weight caused the failure by going outside of their "recommendations"? They have deep pockets & when it comes down to it costly to fight against big co's. It may be baseless for them to deny but it doesn't mean they won't try to use it against you?

Are you saying that I could run a 20w-50 in a brand new auto calling for 0w-16 & they couldn't deny the warranty for that reason?

Are you saying that I could run a 20w-50 in a brand new auto calling for 0w-16 & they couldn't deny the warranty for that reason?
If you ran 20W-50 in it and you failure wasn't oiling related and can't be attributed to the higher viscosity, they can't deny your warranty, now if you say put 20W-50 in a car and start it when it's -30 out and the car runs without oil pressure and damages the bearings or the timing chain skips due to lack of oil pressure then yes they could deny your warranty because your useage of the improper viscosity in improper conditions caused the damage.

If you ran 20W-50 in it and you failure wasn't oiling related and can't be attributed to the higher viscosity, they can't deny your warranty, now if you say put 20W-50 in a car and start it when it's -30 out and the car runs without oil pressure and damages the bearings or the timing chain skips due to lack of oil pressure then yes they could deny your warranty because your useage of the improper viscosity in improper conditions caused the damage.
My point is that someone can't just say "False" they can't deny you b/c there are conditions that present reasonable grades being used in a vehicle. You proved my point that there is a potential situation they could reasonably deny the claim based on going outside of "Recommended Viscosity" as the other put it. Hence the importance of staying within manufacturers recommendations.

l like the QSUD oil - its the best value at walmart at $23 a jug. I won't pay more for the new formula simply because i don't do 20k miles on an oil but I can see the added peace of mind mentality as well.

Back