New Mower, oil recommendations?

Just got a Cub Cadet ZT1 and it got very little use this summer due to the heat and lack of grass growing. as I enter the first winterizing prep, i'm curious about oils. The previous mower didn't warrant much love from me (it was 15 yr old i inherited as i bought the house). I just used John Deere oil in it but I'm seeing recommendations for things like diesel oil like Rotella T6 in small engines. I was just gonna buy synthetic 10w-30 which the manual states SAE 30 and 10W-30 are both recommended. I'm wondering about the additives though. Cub Cadet makes oil but I'm always suspicious about whether that specific oil is any better. CC obviously isn't a refinery making oil, so it's rebranded oil made for them. maybe it's Supertech, or plain dino oil IDK.

thoughts?

Air cooled engines do far better with an oil that has an HTHS above 3.5, and generally over 3.8. As always, a less robust oil will be just fine until oil temps climb into the insane range.

I use Rotella T6, 5W-40 in my 18HP Kawasaki powered JD garden tractor. 20 years down the road, it's running perfectly.

For something that would get year round use like in the winter as a plow/blower attachment. I'd use a synthetic 5/10w30 but for straight warm weather a HD30 would do just fine.

Last edited:
yeah i don't use it for winter. once the rains start here in the NW I don't mow. So maybe May through September is my mowing. HD meaning straight conventional SAE 30?

Something like Rotella has the below ratings:
CF-2ObsoleteCAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009. Two-stroke cycle engines may have different lubrication requirements than four-stroke engines, so the manufacturer should be contacted for current lubrication recommendations.
CFObsoleteCAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009. Later “C” category oils are usually suitable or preferred for diesel automotive engines for which “CF” oils were specified. Older equipment and/or two-stroke diesel engines, especially those calling for monograde products, may however require “CF” category oil.

Lawn mower oil has this rating:
SJCurrentFor 2001 and older automotive engines.

That castrol HD you mentioned is SM,SN,SJ,SL

i normally wouldn't care about mower oils but i'm a stickler for my car and since this is a brand new mower that i'd like to not have to replace for the next 15 yrs i care

If price is no consideration Amsoil Small Engine oil can be a good choice. My 11 year old Big Dog 42" started life on Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 but switched to the Amsoil about 5 years ago.

Why do people buy something and then disregard the factory recommendations ? Asking for an oil recommendation here is like asking how many different oils are there on the market .

correct, i know CC doesn't make them. it's a Kawasaki. the manual says 5w-30 but has a range to allow 10w-30 as well. i'm more curious if the people here know if the "stuff" in lawn mower engines is truly needed or of the small engines are made to different performance specs over the years to tolerate motor oil. I'm in favor of buying a gallon jug and pumping it in vs those tiny lawn mower bottles. I didn't know about what it shipped with, that's interesting. what if the Cub Cadet bottle is just relabeled T6? sounds like a good youtube test video

Kawasaki's manual also says to use API ratings SF,SG,SH,SL,SJ. Interestingly Kawasaki's own oil KTECH 4 cycle is diesel rated and has zinc additives. For what it's worth i'm planning to also use ethanol free gas after reading about that for small engines.

Far more important than the brand is a commitment to regular oil changes. I would use QS Full Synthetic 5W30 and every 50 hours or once a season.

This screenshot was taken right from the Kawasaki manual. It shows that 10W40 is the preferred oil.

Attachments

• C612D282-2368-46DE-BC97-10C64FBDDEA6.jpeg
    C612D282-2368-46DE-BC97-10C64FBDDEA6.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
This screenshot was taken right from the Kawasaki manual. It shows that 10W40 is the preferred oil.
At that point I'd use Delo SAE40 and call it a day especially if it gets exceptionally hot in the environment but never really used below 60F, however 15w40 also is just as good.

I say this only because I see the bottles in our fire pump house which is never really below 60F in the winter with no block heater hence why it's used.

Last edited:
even though i won't run it before 32 F obviously, i'm thinking the 10W vs the SAE for winter freeze protection, unless that's not a thing

You'll go broke running E0 fuel in a ZTR. Just drain the carb bowl/run it out of gas or put E0 fuel in it for winter storage.

The Kawasaki FH500V motor on my mower has 1800 hours on it and has never had anything but Rotella 15-40 oil and pump gas.

Just got a Cub Cadet ZT1 and it got very little use this summer due to the heat and lack of grass growing. as I enter the first winterizing prep, i'm curious about oils. The previous mower didn't warrant much love from me (it was 15 yr old i inherited as i bought the house). I just used John Deere oil in it but I'm seeing recommendations for things like diesel oil like Rotella T6 in small engines. I was just gonna buy synthetic 10w-30 which the manual states SAE 30 and 10W-30 are both recommended. I'm wondering about the additives though. Cub Cadet makes oil but I'm always suspicious about whether that specific oil is any better. CC obviously isn't a refinery making oil, so it's rebranded oil made for them. maybe it's Supertech, or plain dino oil IDK.

thoughts?
I've always had good luck with Royal Purple 10w-40 or 10-30 in my mowers

Back