New Lexus SUV First oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've picked up a 2013 RX-450 for my wife. The manual states 10k OCI with 0w-20 Synthetic. I'll be using the Toyota Full Syn. My first 2 service visits are free, but the dealer only checks the car out at 5k and does not change the oil until the second visit which is at 10k. I believe the car comes with a Syn fill from the factory. I cringe when I think going 10k on a brand new engine. But I've never had a car with the factory fill being a full Syn, does the motor need this long to seat the seals with a full syn? Would you wait this long to change the oil as the manual states ? I was thinking of changing at 5k.

Are you thinking of changing away from syn? If you want to change the oil, go ahead. I have an 01 Acura TL that I run 10,000 mile OCI's with high mileage and no I'll effects-- and I proved that that this interval would work with UOAs. Your car is newer and will have no problem with this interval.

Best wishes with that nice ride.

I'd change the oil much earlier than 10K miles too. 4-5k myself. I don't have any facts or statistics to throw at you but how much does an oil change cost? Not much at all. If it makes you feel better, do it. I've always changed the oil on anything new, early and often til I feel it's broken in. Then, depending on how it's driven you can figure out your OCI.

No, you could change it earlier. If it were mine (and the Sienna has more/less the same engine as the rx 350, not sure about the hybrid) I'd change it once at 5000 miles. Maybe dump/fill yourself at 5000 miles and then let the dealer do it at 10,000 and 20,000.

The 3.5 V6 is pretty straight forward except the cartridge filter. I bought a tool on amazon for 16 bucks that makes this easy.

Last edited:
I am personally okay with sticking to manual or OLM, Lexus has a very good record with their engine, except those 10 years ago with camry V6. My father use whatever cheap synthetic on his 01 LS430 and push it for more than 10K oil change, sometimes he change oil filter every 2 oil change, and now his car is more than 300K. My gf's mom's 03 mercedes again more than 10K OCI and is still running good. Of course both cases may not apply to you due to year, different engine, driving habit.
Note:
1) Most of the ppl here are OCD with oil change, it's like their habit to do it, so you ask around here chances are many ppl will tell you "CHANGE IT!"
2) It's not about how much an oil change cost, your decision of changing the oil or not should base on whether it's necessary or not. Not to mention it's a complete waste of resources, well of course ppl will jump in and say "i would waste X-gallons of oil if it save my engine from premature wear", oh well i can't argue with that.

3) the thing i don't understand is why it has to be "4-5k", not 6-7k, or 7-8k? So technology advance, but internal combustion engine cannot push beyond 10K OCI even for first fill? It's a myth because no actual science has proven leaving first fill in engine to the full OCI will harm the engine in long run, of course change it earlier is also unlikely to harm it either, if like some others mentioned, it make you sleep better, change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back