new here what oil for a 99 f150 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All
i am newish to the forum i have been lurking for a few weeks now i have a 99 f150 that is about due for its 2nd oil change under my ownership "it's a 5.4 with 190k". what i put in last time was citco snth blend 5-30 i got it cheap at the time. i have since put 2000 hard miles on the truck over the last 4-5 months so it's time for a change. Now that i'm done moving the truck gets a break it will get 2-4 hundred miles a month towing/hauling a month unless there's snow when it becomes a DD 200 miles a week commute. The motor runs good minimal oil leaks nothing i'm consernd with. so im looking for a oil recomondation for the thing i dont want to change the oil that often maybe twice a year which i don't plan on more then 8k miles on it in the next year. now i know Ford has a TSB where 5-20 is the new recommended oil for it but i was thinking of using a 5-30 QSdefy right now i get a good price on all QS and rotella oils not Pennzoil tho so if one of those will be good that's another plus let me know what you guys think and if you need anymore info

Thank You
Tom

If you get a good price on QS Defy or Rotella use what is less cost to you. Either maybe able to last a entire year with you driving only 8K a year with the pickup. The 5.4 Triton is very robust I use what ever 5W20 is on sale and I change right at the factory maximum interval of 7.5K/6 months and do not worry about a thing. The grade of oil really does not matter with this engine though if you are comfortable using 5/10W-30 stay with it.

Run a QS synthetic 5W30 and a decent filter (M1, Bosch D+). I would change the oil in the spring and fall. I think 8K is on the edge of an OCI, and you could sure go more than 4K, but oil changes when its not 100F nor 0F are nice. You could just change at 7K, but thats less than yearly which means the month will move.

When I shoot for a 7K change it end up being a 7500 due to various reasons.

How are the motorcraft filters?

And i was planing on the spring / fall oil change regardless of miles being there going to be so low

Originally Posted By: Donald
Run a QS synthetic 5W30 and a decent filter (M1, Bosch D+). I would change the oil in the spring and fall. I think 8K is on the edge of an OCI, and you could sure go more than 4K, but oil changes when its not 100F nor 0F are nice. You could just change at 7K, but thats less than yearly which means the month will move.

When I shoot for a 7K change it end up being a 7500 due to various reasons.

What filter is a D+ I checked the acronyms sticky and I don't see it

Originally Posted By: gametom
Hello All
i am newish to the forum i have been lurking for a few weeks now i have a 99 f150 that is about due for its 2nd oil change under my ownership "it's a 5.4 with 190k".

I also have a '99 F150/5.4L, but many fewer miles (I have about 75K) than yours; used primarily for towing medium weight trailers. I've stuck with the MC 820S filter, and you might consider using the MC synthetic blend oil (available in 5-20 and 5-30). Pretty reasonably priced at WM, O'R, etc., and many on this forum speak highly of it. I do a 5K OCI, never have to add.

QS Defy in 5w30 in the spring and fall. I personally use P1 filters on my 5.4, but Motorcraft filters are good as well.

D+ is a Bosch Distance Plus filter and if you want to do 2 OCI a year then leave the D+ filter in the entire year and just change the oil at 4k...the Bosch filter is very good and will handle 8k miles easy....Use whatver you get cheapest for oil cause with those miles Rotella or QS are both great oils.

M1 AFE 0w30 is a favourite of mine for this application. Currently running AMSOIL 0w30 and it compares favourably.

At only 4k miles avg per change, I would stick to either MC 5-30 and a MC filter, or whichever good quality conventional 5-30 floats your boat...plus a MC filter. If the leaks are a concern, perhaps a high mileage 5-30 would be worth trying for a couple of changes.

For myself, I use M1 0w-30 or 0w-20 in our vehicles, at 5k mile intervals, with Purolator filters. I don't care for using extended intervals, and I change by mileage regardless of time of year. It's only 30 minutes whatever time of year you do it.

Shoveling snow may make it a couple of minutes longer, but it's snow big deal.

Thank everyone for you input i think i'm going to run the QSDefy for a OCI or 2 with a MC filter and see how it likes that oil

I bought the QS defy and took it back.I didnt like the fact that it had seal sweller in it.I called QS yesterday and ask them if I used this and it swelled the seals would I be able the run another oil down the road or would I have to buy this all the time.The gentleman at QS thought that was a good question.I'm still waiting for a reply.I bought MC 5w-30 blend instead and a MC filter.I feel much safer.If it was worded seal conditioner I think I would have used it.I dont think you can go wrong with any of the Castrol products.Just me though.And the guy from QS told me he had a 2001 f150 with a 5.4 and he ran 15/40 rotella.He is from Houston Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back