New gun confiscation law in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garak - were I in your shoes, I would own a few Garands! I mean, I own one anyway, but the Garand is both an historic artifact, and a very effective .30 caliber rifle...good for hunting, of course...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Don't forget your gem Cuomo. He and Bloomberg are on the same page.

Exactly. I mean the people of NYC must not be bothered by this as evidenced by the fact that they just elected a classic liberal Democrat for mayor, by a landslide!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: R80RS
Weren't semi-auto rifles & shotguns banned in Canada at one time? And Garak's reference to handguns - I thought those were effectively banned in Canada as well.

No, but many specific examples of each were restricted or prohibited. Restricted means use only at a range and serious storage rules; a "step up" in licensing requirements to buy/sell/trade. Prohibited is essentially the same except no more are allowed to be imported or sold or transferred (except under certain conditions, with some grandfathering among those who possess such weapons, and certain dealers). To confuse the issue, certain prohibited weapons and accessories are not grandfathered (i.e. high capacity semi-auto magazines, silencers, and so forth are to be destroyed; fully automatic examples can be grandfathered).

Most military style long guns are restricted (with most facing the magazine limitations since military long guns tend to be autoloaders). All pistols are restricted and have been since the 1930s. Small caliber centre fire pistols are prohibited (much more recently) as "Saturday Night Specials."

Of all things, there are virtually no restrictions on M1 Garands, which, as you all of course know, was the U.S. WWII era long gun and not a Canadian one. They are specifically exempted from just about every regulation out there.

@OVERKILL: Check the regulations, specifically the list of restricted and prohibited firearms. They regularly add .50 BMG firearm models as the manufacturers down south come up with them. But, you are quite right with respect to other semi-auto rifles and shotguns. If it isn't "scary black" you're okay, unless it's a Mini-14 (thanks to Marc Lepine). If it's a Mini-30, you're okay, even if it is "scary black."

Yep, clear as mud, right?

Thanks for setting me straight. I travel to Canada frequently, but never with a firearm or to do any shooting.

@OVERKILL: Check the regulations, specifically the list of restricted and prohibited firearms. They regularly add .50 BMG firearm models as the manufacturers down south come up with them. But, you are quite right with respect to other semi-auto rifles and shotguns.

Last time I checked the Barett M82A1 (semi-auto) .50 was restricted. But the M99, which is the bolt-action version was not.

frontierfirearms.ca has a number of .50's for sale, here's the M99:

http://frontierfirearms.ca/firearms/50bm...ted-barrel.html

Quote:
Classification: Non-Restricted

smile.gif

This makes me chuckle. I lived in NYC for 24 years. What I do for fun on the weekends now would get me locked up forever out there.

I'll take a half-dozen guns, two dozen "scary capacity" magazines, and a thousand rounds and just have some fun at a match. Some of these matches have women and children as participants!

Oh, the huge manatee!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Garak - were I in your shoes, I would own a few Garands! I mean, I own one anyway, but the Garand is both an historic artifact, and a very effective .30 caliber rifle...good for hunting, of course...

I have been thinking about that more and more. They are fine rifles. I've done a lot of shooting on the old .303 Enfields, but never a Garand yet.

Thanks for setting me straight. I travel to Canada frequently, but never with a firearm or to do any shooting.

I'd advise caution if you do, and call ahead first, as it were. We get lots of hunters up from the States, and I hate to read about them getting in trouble over a simple paperwork mistake or grabbing an extra gun that should have been left at home.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Last time I checked the Barett M82A1 (semi-auto) .50 was restricted. But the M99, which is the bolt-action version was not.

Well, that's good to know. Last time I looked over the list, there were several examples of bolt actions and semi-auto .50 BMGs on the list. And it's not exactly like Barett is new or marginal in that segment of the market. Perhaps somebody had some common sense and revised the list in the other direction. Several years back, .50 BMG FMJ was going for about $5 or $6 a round. I'd hate to see what it's at now.

No, that's actually not too bad. But, the price I quoted was in the day before online price competition. There's really only a couple gun shops left in the city. I'd be afraid to ask what they want for rounds.
wink.gif

No, that's actually not too bad. But, the price I quoted was in the day before online price competition. There's really only a couple gun shops left in the city. I'd be afraid to ask what they want for rounds.
wink.gif

Yeah, that's why I go to that site, LOL!! Their prices destroy anything in town. Pricing in the GTA might be decent but if I can just order it on-line and have it show up?
21.gif

Plus, they have some really great selection
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
New York State will be next, followed by the entire country.

Maybe NYS will be next, but I don't think the entire country will follow. People are waking up to this (and more) and demanding their liberties remain intact. Even gun grabbing Illinois approved a concealed carry bill this year, the last state of the 50 to allow concealed carry. This was done through a state legislature and governor from a party not known for their sympathy for second amendment rights. Public demand for action on this apparently got their attention.

The country will not follow. Other than in NY and Cali, gun owners are winning. Illinois just passed concealed carry laws. Ohio is in the process of making it easier to get a permit, and changing to laws to favor citizens for using a gun to defend themselves. There are may other instances where we are winning. Stop the doom and gloom thinking.

thumbsup2.gif

I'll have to do some browsing. We did get a Cabela's here, now, though. Everything got ruined with the legislative hit on military stuff anyhow, which is my preference for shooting and collecting. Well, if my military preference is for Garands and .303s, I guess I'm okay.
wink.gif

Maybe NYS will be next, but I don't think the entire country will follow. People are waking up to this (and more) and demanding their liberties remain intact. Even gun grabbing Illinois approved a concealed carry bill this year, the last state of the 50 to allow concealed carry. This was done through a state legislature and governor from a party not known for their sympathy for second amendment rights. Public demand for action on this apparently got their attention.

I thought the US Supreme Court handed down a judgment stating that they had "X" amount of time to come up with a workable CC law?

thumbsup2.gif

I'll have to do some browsing. We did get a Cabela's here, now, though. Everything got ruined with the legislative hit on military stuff anyhow, which is my preference for shooting and collecting. Well, if my military preference is for Garands and .303s, I guess I'm okay.
wink.gif

Yeah, you'd be fine with an Enfield or a Garand, LOL!!

The only local gun shop is a local joint, we have no chains AFAIK. I believe most shop in the GTA.

We used to have a nice shop near my house, but after the set of laws that came out from Kim Campbell, they started to limit the firearms stuff, then went under altogether. Others closed due to the advanced age of proprietors. There's one that's been around for a while and likely will carry on; he seems to do quite well.

Originally Posted By: whip

The country will not follow. Other than in NY and Cali, gun owners are winning. Illinois just passed concealed carry laws. Ohio is in the process of making it easier to get a permit, and changing to laws to favor citizens for using a gun to defend themselves. There are may other instances where we are winning. Stop the doom and gloom thinking.

Common sense and understanding human nature (even if guns are outlawed criminals will still get them since of course they break the laws..LOL) tells us that the more honorable citizens are armed the better it is for ALL honorable citizens. Because those criminals don't really know who is packing heat and who isn't . Only the most irrational thugs would want to tempt fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back