New gun confiscation law in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true but I doubt they will or can't enforce it. More of Doomberg's [censored].

It begins: New York’s Bloomberg sending out gun confiscation notices

Mara Zebest is reporting that anti-2nd Amendment Bloomberg taking one last stab at the constitutional liberties of the people before leaving office. NOTE that the notice does NOT mention an option in which the officials will be coming to their door with warrants to search. Maybe that’s because they know they can’t survive legal challenges to support confiscation and will have difficulty obtaining warrants to do so. Thus the notice seems to rely on cooperation and compliance of the people to willingly turn in the guns and to fill out bureaucratic paper work.
GunConfiscation.jpg

Tyranny only has power over the people if we grant them that power. Our given rights are guaranteed by the constitution and these right’s are given by the Creator -- not man. Hopefully, all Americans will remember this truth.

Last edited:
They could have made the weapon illegal and not afforded the owner the courtesy of a letter.

It does sort of seem that once it's in, say, a U-store-it in New Hampshire, it's none of NYC's business. Deregister it per the form provided and they shouldn't have jurisdiction.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They could have made the weapon illegal and not afforded the owner the courtesy of a letter.

It does sort of seem that once it's in, say, a U-store-it in New Hampshire, it's none of NYC's business. Deregister it per the form provided and they shouldn't have jurisdiction.

Bingo

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
It's true but I doubt they will or can't enforce it. More of Doomberg's [censored].

It begins: New York’s Bloomberg sending out gun confiscation notices

Mara Zebest is reporting that anti-2nd Amendment Bloomberg taking one last stab at the constitutional liberties of the people before leaving office. NOTE that the notice does NOT mention an option in which the officials will be coming to their door with warrants to search. Maybe that’s because they know they can’t survive legal challenges to support confiscation and will have difficulty obtaining warrants to do so. Thus the notice seems to rely on cooperation and compliance of the people to willingly turn in the guns and to fill out bureaucratic paper work.
GunConfiscation.jpg

Tyranny only has power over the people if we grant them that power. Our given rights are guaranteed by the constitution and these right’s are given by the Creator -- not man. Hopefully, all Americans will remember this truth.

Wow
crazy2.gif

That makes the Canadian gun laws look down-right liberal!

At least up here, magazine size only depends upon the action and case design. Only semi-auto center fire up here has restrictions on magazine size (ten for handguns, five for long guns). If it's bolt action, pump action, lever action, or rim fire, it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Garak
At least up here, magazine size only depends upon the action and case design. Only semi-auto center fire up here has restrictions on magazine size (ten for handguns, five for long guns). If it's bolt action, pump action, lever action, or rim fire, it doesn't matter.

Pretty much.

- Shotgun is limited to 6 rounds IIRC, 5 in the tube and one in the chamber. They can be pump or semi-auto.
- Centrefire with a mag is 5 except for guns that are grandfathered like the .303's from WWII that hold 8
- Lever action centrefire have no limit
- Rimfire are unlimited. So nothing wrong with a 50-round banana clip on your semi-auto .22
grin.gif

I'm LE in NY and first thing I notice.....If I am going to seize and take possession of your "abandoned" vehicle I must send you a "certified" letter via USPS to the last known to DMV registered owner and Lien Holder.

SO I'd assume, and it's just an assumption; that if challenged for non-conformance there would have to be some sort of proof of service. I'd expect em to make the cops bang on your door and hand the letter 2 ya. BUT most of us, at least where I work have said that will be a no go and you can have the governor use the Natnl Guard for that if they are willing. After Katrina I'd hope they would also refuse. Majority of Chief's support NOT using their local cops for this type issue.

End of day politics trumps so tile will tell.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Isn't that the truth all in exact opposition of everything Bloomberg espoused. Seems pretty weak on his way out; he once vowed to chase the issue wherever it took him. Guess now it's all ok to export the expected violence to anywhere BUT NYC. Wonder how his mayor's coalition would feel if they all ended up in their cities?

You don't have to agree or like guns but [censored] is [censored]. Fact is in NY we have these 3year mandatory sentences for illegal gun possession. Sounds tough....how many years did Plaxico Burress serve??? Was it all 3???

How about someone aims a S&W revolver at you robs you or whatever. Police grab the bad guy with the gun. Guessing 3 years min for bad guy for the illegal possession??? Na, it was piece of [censored] gun and didnt have an operable firing pin....so therefore weapon charge dropped. Funny thing is, you as the victim, didn't know it at the time and now only when it comes to the bad guy getting his just desserts does it matter. When the victim feared he/she was gonna die, well thats just part of the deal here in NY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I'm LE in NY and first thing I notice.....If I am going to seize and take possession of your "abandoned" vehicle I must send you a "certified" letter via USPS to the last known to DMV registered owner and Lien Holder.

SO I'd assume, and it's just an assumption; that if challenged for non-conformance there would have to be some sort of proof of service. I'd expect em to make the cops bang on your door and hand the letter 2 ya. BUT most of us, at least where I work have said that will be a no go and you can have the governor use the Natnl Guard for that if they are willing. After Katrina I'd hope they would also refuse. Majority of Chief's support NOT using their local cops for this type issue.

End of day politics trumps so tile will tell.

When they were discussing doing this in CA, pretty much every LEO I know said no dice to this. I can't see that possibly ending well. If anything the SWAT team would get a lot of practice at busting down doors and getting into firefights.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
- Shotgun is limited to 6 rounds IIRC, 5 in the tube and one in the chamber. They can be pump or semi-auto.
- Centrefire with a mag is 5 except for guns that are grandfathered like the .303's from WWII that hold 8

Actually, the shotgun limitation is only for hunting migratory birds, under separate legislation and regulations from the official gun control rules. The plug is allowed to be removable, unlike the cases with semi-automatic removable magazines (permanent modification or a new low-capacity magazine is required). If your pump action 12 gauge is for shooting skunks (and you're not wandering around with it during duck season), it can hold more rounds.

The bolt actions aren't an issue at all. Finding a centre fire bolt action rifle with a box magazine with a capacity of greater than 5 rounds is difficult anyhow. With a .22 it's easy to find, but it's not a legal issue at all.

Pretty much.

- Rimfire are unlimited. So nothing wrong with a 50-round banana clip on your semi-auto .22
grin.gif

Weren't semi-auto rifles & shotguns banned in Canada at one time? And Garak's reference to handguns - I thought those were effectively banned in Canada as well.

I was in the Yukon & NWT years ago and lever action rifles were everywhere. I would occasionally see one leaning against the wall of a restaurant or store while the owner was inside.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

Weren't semi-auto rifles & shotguns banned in Canada at one time? And Garak's reference to handguns - I thought those were effectively banned in Canada as well.

I was in the Yukon & NWT years ago and lever action rifles were everywhere. I would occasionally see one leaning against the wall of a restaurant or store while the owner was inside.

Don't know, but I don't think so. You need a restricted firearms license to buy a handgun, but I can buy a .50BMG without a problem with just a regular PAL license
21.gif
And there are plenty of semi-auto rifles and shotguns on the market that don't require your restricted license to buy either.

Under New Yorks UNsafe Act signed by emporer Cuomo overnight as an executive order makes 7 round shotguns ILLEGAL to purchase and existing ones require registration now if you already own one. Luckily my shotgun holds 6. Also in NY I am only allowed to load 7 bullets into a 10 round pistol magazine..even in the home. I'm sure all the criminals will make sure to only have 7 bullets.

If anybody recalls, before this new draconian law NY allowed only 10 bullets in a magazine. Then Emporer Cuomo stated "YOU DON'T NEED 10 BULLETS TO KILL A DEER!!" I'm sorry Emporer Cuomo....I wasn't aware tyrannical deer were breaking into houses. Of course the governor's security staff has more than 7 bullets in there guns. You don't need 10+ bullets? Tell that to anyone who has ever tried to use a firearm to bring down someone on PCP. Sorry but 7 bullets may not be enough. There are stories of people on PCP not being stopped by a 9-pellet .33 caliber12 gauge 00Buckshot to the chest at close range.

This law also requires background checks to purchase AMMO. You will NOT be able to buy a box of birdshot without a background check starting in January (although I heard this was pushed back since the state hasn't set up a background check system yet...sounds like a recent federal law I know of...) Also ammo must be purchased in person and online ordering of ammo will have to be shipped to an FFL. Also the state will be monitoring all ammo purchases with your name, occupation, address and ammo type. If you don't believe me look it up.

Last edited:

No, but many specific examples of each were restricted or prohibited. Restricted means use only at a range and serious storage rules; a "step up" in licensing requirements to buy/sell/trade. Prohibited is essentially the same except no more are allowed to be imported or sold or transferred (except under certain conditions, with some grandfathering among those who possess such weapons, and certain dealers). To confuse the issue, certain prohibited weapons and accessories are not grandfathered (i.e. high capacity semi-auto magazines, silencers, and so forth are to be destroyed; fully automatic examples can be grandfathered).

Most military style long guns are restricted (with most facing the magazine limitations since military long guns tend to be autoloaders). All pistols are restricted and have been since the 1930s. Small caliber centre fire pistols are prohibited (much more recently) as "Saturday Night Specials."

Of all things, there are virtually no restrictions on M1 Garands, which, as you all of course know, was the U.S. WWII era long gun and not a Canadian one. They are specifically exempted from just about every regulation out there.

@OVERKILL: Check the regulations, specifically the list of restricted and prohibited firearms. They regularly add .50 BMG firearm models as the manufacturers down south come up with them. But, you are quite right with respect to other semi-auto rifles and shotguns. If it isn't "scary black" you're okay, unless it's a Mini-14 (thanks to Marc Lepine). If it's a Mini-30, you're okay, even if it is "scary black."

Yep, clear as mud, right?

Pretty much.

grin.gif

I was in NWT 2 years ago and shotguns were in civilian hands as were a whole lot of bolt actions.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Under New Yorks UNsafe Act signed by emporer Cuomo overnight as an executive order makes 7 round shotguns ILLEGAL to purchase and existing ones require registration now if you already own one. Luckily my shotgun holds 6. Also in NY I am only allowed to load 7 bullets into a 10 round pistol magazine..even in the home. I'm sure all the criminals will make sure to only have 7 bullets.

If anybody recalls, before this new draconian law NY allowed only 10 bullets in a magazine. Then Emporer Cuomo stated "YOU DON'T NEED 10 BULLETS TO KILL A DEER!!" I'm sorry Emporer Cuomo....I wasn't aware tyrannical deer were breaking into houses. Of course the governor's security staff has more than 7 bullets in there guns. You don't need 10+ bullets? Tell that to anyone who has ever tried to use a firearm to bring down someone on PCP. Sorry but 7 bullets may not be enough. There are stories of people on PCP not being stopped by a 9-pellet .33 caliber12 gauge 00Buckshot to the chest at close range.

This law also requires background checks to purchase AMMO. You will NOT be able to buy a box of birdshot without a background check starting in January (although I heard this was pushed back since the state hasn't set up a background check system yet...sounds like a recent federal law I know of...) Also ammo must be purchased in person and online ordering of ammo will have to be shipped to an FFL. Also the state will be monitoring all ammo purchases with your name, occupation, address and ammo type. If you don't believe me look it up.

It's very messy. Originally the King was sooo quick to ink this prior to CT doing anything he in effect, made every cop in NYS, including NYPD a criminal as there was no exemption to the 7 round nonsense. From what I've read from DCJS there has been 1 instance of arrest for a magazine....western NY and it was a retired Air Force pilot. One of the worst laws ever. Does not a thing to protect citizens from crime. SP are no where near capable of registering all the AR-15's, they can't even keep up with handguns. Add ammo sales and system overload akin to health care.

What's worse is it stymies tax dollars. NY is in rough shape financially and these laws and many like it push business out. Paycheck guy took off after pleading with the state to stop the anti-business tax system. And many more take the pension and flee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back