New 2009 GMC Sierra 4.8 V8 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend uses the M1 10-30EP in his 99 Silverado with 15-20,000 mile OCIs with no problems . 260,000 miles on the truck.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
Now, I used to be an Amsoil guy, but the price (preferred member) plus shipping after the price hike just didn't sit well with me. I notice, though, that the XL version is much cheaper, and they sell it at the local NAPA store.

So...is the XL version of Amsoil just as good as the original?

Last I knew Amsoil rated their XL oil for 7500 miles.

Thanks, Guys! Pablo...thanks for clarifying. I went down to the NAPA store and they not only have the XL now, but they also carry the ASL Amsoil. So, I think I am going to go with Amsoil XL while under warranty, and then switch to ASL after.

Another question, though. I got a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty with the truck (3 yr/36,000 bumper to bumper; 5yr/100,000 power train). Power train does mean engine, tranny, etc, right?

Thanks, Guys! Pablo...thanks for clarifying. I went down to the NAPA store and they not only have the XL now, but they also carry the ASL Amsoil. So, I think I am going to go with Amsoil XL while under warranty, and then switch to ASL after.

Another question, though. I got a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty with the truck (3 yr/36,000 bumper to bumper; 5yr/100,000 power train). Power train does mean engine, tranny, etc, right?

Yep. Tranny and Engine. Not the accessories, not the computers or stuff like that. The computers are covered by a 80k mile Fed warranty.

I've used ASL and sadly was not impressed. If I ran Amsoil in my engine the XL is the only stuff I'd run personally.

Someday when I have to make another order with Pablo, I may get a case or 2 of 5w-30 XL to play with. It is the only syn I'd even think about paying full price for. All others have to be discounted.

Also you will gain NOTHING following the OLM and using ASL. XL will do EVERYTHING ASL will do and IMO with you following the OLM.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I've used ASL and sadly was not impressed. If I ran Amsoil in my engine the XL is the only stuff I'd run personally.

So, I am assuming you have been impressed with the XL flavor because of personal experience or looking at UOA's?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

So, I am assuming you have been impressed with the XL flavor because of personal experience or looking at UOA's?

I've never (and been here a LONG time) seen a poor post or UOA from XL.

I've seen, heard and read a few UOAs (incl my own) and ASL has not gotten the best of reviews.

If I really wanted to spend the $$$ on something IMO that did not matter (again my PERSONAL opinion) I'd go for SSO.

Very few people can get the "value" on SSO/ASL and can get closer with XL.

Bottom line is your 4.8l will last with ANY oil as long as you follow the OLM and change it when its time. $10 a quart oil is not needed.

Take care, bill

XL is there to compete with cheaper "synthetics" like M1 and Syntec

Their 100% Synthetic products should be used by the more hardcore synthetic users who don't have any of the every 3k miles OCI stuff in the back of their minds

I ran one change of Amsoil ASL in my Silverado with the 5300, and simple decided that it wasn't for me.

There wasn't an advantage to using ASL in my situation. So, I've switched over to Pennzoil Platinum, changing it every 9 months or 5,000 miles (whichever comes first). What I use my truck for is considered severe service (building houses, pulling trailers, heavy loads in the bed).

For me to take advantage of the benefits of an oil like ASL (15,000 mile changes), it would be in the engine for roughly 27 months. I don't care how good an oil is, I can't stand leaving ANY oil in an engine that long.

However, I continue to run Amsoil in my Honda Goldwing, where I put many more miles on it during a riding season.

Well, after doing more research throughout this site, and considering convenience, price, and availability, I decided to follow the OLM and go with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a PureOne filter.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, Guys!

Jehartley,

I too suggest you use the OLM and drive your GMC until the first oil change is indicated. After that I'd switch to a synthetic as allot of GM dealerships offer synthetic as an alternative to dino.

I just had my oil changed at 6K on my newly bought 08' Impala SS using Mobil 1 synthetic/5W-30. From now on I intend to start using the "OIL Life Monitor" as a reminder too me when the time comes around again. Until then I know the Mobil 1 will protect my engine during the next 6K.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back