Mobil 1 - Advanced FS VS Truck/SUV for towing?

Hello all-

My NEW 2023 GMC Sierra 3500 HD, 6.6L GAS / 6 Speed Trans, Crew Cab, 4X4...

Owner's manual calls for 5W-30 DEXOS 1 - Gen 3. Manual doesn't suggest anything different for towing.

I contacted M1 and they sent me the attached (see link below). When I asked what the differences were between the flavors of Advanced Full Synthetic and Truck/SUV (attached shows specs are the same), they said any additional information, beyond what is in the attached doc, is proprietary.

So are there any differences?

Since I do tow, I wanted to know what the differences are, and if substantial, perhaps that would be a more appropriate choice seeing as the Truck/SUV is also Dexos 1-Gen 3 approved.

I do plan on 3K OCIs, as the truck is not my DD and it's used primarily for towing (TT, boat).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Perhaps I should also consider EP....it's just that Truck/SUV claims it is for higher temps when towing

Great truck by the way..
I hate that GM Dexos nonsense though. Causes confusion for one.
Thanks! I was a Ford guy and this is my first modern GMC. So far, I like it! Probably my last truck, so I want to maintain it as such (severe duty maintenance).

Thanks! I was a Ford guy and this is my first modern GMC. So far, I like it! Probably my last truck, so I want to maintain it as such (severe duty maintenance).
Geez...sort of the same here .
My last Ford was a fiasco and I looked at GMC but didn't pull the trigger yet. Most likely my last truck too. I seen one today and it was awesome. Good luck.

I towed all over the Rocky Mountains pulling a 5,000 pound-30 foot travel trailer running 0w/20 in a 5.3 2018 Silverado. The truck didn't blow up.

3,000 OCIs are a waste.

I think either are fine. I’m running the truck and suv in mine because it was available when I bought oil. Id have no hesitation using the advanced synthetic if truck and suv weren’t on the shelf.

Back