Oil Recommendation 2005 GMC 6.0 V8...

is there anything in particular I should/could be looking out for in my choice for a motor oil for this 2005 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.0 V8???

It predates GM Dexos recommendations
I believe the original oil was of the Dino variety

Owners manual recommends 5W-30

I used a full synthetic 5W-30 for it's first oil change in my ownership recently at 72K miles...the SUV is not a daily driver but can be driven more during certain times of the year...I don't tow or haul with it and it is just driven and used like a station wagon of old...

I used and prefer full synthetic just because I seem to be able to find that on sale/rebate for the same or less than most anything else...I use mostly Mobil 1 in other vehicles I own/take care of...I will probable stick to a once a year or 5K mileage oil change interval unless something is revealed here...

Is there anything I should be looking out for in my choice of motor oil for this application?...thanks for any experiences or knowledge you care to share...

I realized after writing this it might appear I'm asking "what's the best oil" or something similar which was not my intention...all I'm really asking is if I'm leaving anything on the table by just using a 5W-30 full synthetic with a regular, blue AC Delco filter...

thanks

Bill

The LQ4 is legendary. I still see examples at local sales or auctions with hundreds of thousands of miles. You could probably abuse the heck of out of it, which you are clearly are not and it would still be OK. Rest easy and throw whatever you feel at it. If you want actual info get a UOA sample and start pouring over the data.

Mine is just a baby at 129k. It has a slight misfire, one of the belt rollers is chirping, the AC died years ago, the heater core is bypassed but I dont care. It still trucks along.

You could run about any 5w-30, 10w-30, 5w-40, 10w-40, 15w-40 in one and it wouldn't care.

I would say find a 5W-30 synthetic that is a good value for you based upon availability and price, monitor your oil levels and change yearly or at 5k which you sound to be familiar with. Also, if you start to notice it's using oil, don't immediately think its burning it. LSx motors have had a few driver side valve cover revisions. Usually oil isn't being burnt past the rings but pulled in through the PCV system. A revised valve cover with the updated PCV does help to curb a lot of LS oil consumption.

I have a mildly cammed LQ4 with about 135k on it, I have the updated PCV and a catch can. I collect about 1-3 oz of oil in it over a 3-4k OCI. My oil level on the stick doesn't move.

I have a 2004 GMC w/ 5.3 and have used the AC Delco filters most of the time that I've owned it, I only switched to the Fram Ultra was to cut the number of filter changes down, the vertical location on these are a pain and you always end up getting oil all down your arm. I know a lot of members here use M1 0w40 in the LS. I've used mostly PP 5w30 but currently running RGT until my stash runs out. I go through maybe a quart between oil changes and it has 120k miles, it has the original valve covers but GM made an updated version to help with consumption. You might not need a Dexos rated oil but honestly the cost between a licensed and one that is not really isn't that significant to say the least.

The LQ4 is legendary. I still see examples at local sales or auctions with hundreds of thousands of miles. You could probably abuse the heck of out of it, which you are clearly are not and it would still be OK. Rest easy and throw whatever you feel at it. If you want actual info get a UOA sample and start pouring over the data.

Mine is just a baby at 129k. It has a slight misfire, one of the belt rollers is chirping, the AC died years ago, the heater core is bypassed but I dont care. It still trucks along.
would a denali have an lq4? just curious, i am not sure. i know the HD trucks had them.

Basically the LQ9 is the HO version of the LQ4, the LQ9 has flat top pistons that raise the compression ratio to 10:1 and has 345hp/380tq, the LQ4 has dished pistons. In a nutshell the LQ4 to LQ9 is what an LM7 is to the L33.

thanks guys...good filter and any good oil at a reasonable OCI (I like 1 year/5K) is what I've gleaned from your answers...If I can't get Mobil 1 (my choice) on sale or with the rebate I'll look for something else that is Dexos 1 Gen 3 rated (just 'cuz) as I hesitate to change oil weight without a reason...

thanks again,

Bill

A friend of mine actually had an 05 GMC Sierra w/ L33 and they were only used in 1/2 tons with ext. cabs and even then they weren't all that common. He kept that truck for a good while but eventually traded it off for a Honda to save gas, eventually got an older Ford just to haul trash to the dump but now has a newer one with the Coyote. I have never driven his GMC so cannot compare the power to mine but they supposedly had 310 hp, the LM7 depending on the year varied a bit, my 04 was rated for 295 hp but the torque was the same between the two engines at 335 ft lbs.

You really can't go wrong with the Delco filters, they are cheap, easy to find at Walmart and they are built very well however they are not really made for long service intervals and would choose a different filter for over 7500 miles.

GM rated this 2005 GMC 6.0 V8 at 335 HP/375 TQ...I have in the only 3 tankfuls I've owned it gotten better fuel economy than I witnessed in a 2000 Escalade, 2002 Avalanche or 2007 F150 I've owned in the past so I'm pleased enough with this LQ4/AWD combo...although I would have preferred a part time 4WD with low gears, I really don't need it...

Bill

thanks for your response...I plan to continue using a full synthetic and the blue can, ACD filter...I'm only at 2.5K miles since its last change and 5 months...

I have 6 quarts of Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 (Dexos 1 Gen3 just 'cuz) and an ACD PF-46E awaiting install in a month or so...

Bill

Value options:

Order online price, pickup in store (wamart):

1700964747172.png

While you're there, Fram and Supertech 3506 filters are about $4 each and will work fine.

------------

If you want to wine and dine it:

"upgrade" to a Fram XG3675 (larger filter with premium guts) or M1 or other brand "20K" filter equivalent and bump up to an A3/B4 oil. Both can be found at most walmarts. This will add about $10 to each oil change but will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. haha!

The big 6.0 in your application isn't working hard and these engines are known for going the distance... I expect everything else on the vehicle to fall apart long before the engine regardless of oil/filter choice...

If you’re not losing or using oil between changes stick with what you been doing. Delco’s are good filters super techs are cheaper and basically the same filter. Super tech full synthetic is a fine oil for a few bucks more you could step up to pennzoil platinum or Quaker state ultimate protection.

As being a gm dealership employee for ten years now in service and parts, if you came into my dealership, it'd get 6 QTS of 5w30 full synthetic dexos oil which is supplied by Mobil.

Back