Need Opinions Re: Regular vs Long Life Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I forgot to throw in availability. Not everybody has Pep Boys near them either. If I can simply buy a Puro synthetic online from Pep Boys for roughly $9 with free shipping, then yes it is a bit more reasonable.

Ill admit its funny how you had to throw in the sale price of the Puro synthetic and compare that to the normal WM Ultra price to make the purchase more justified. If you want to go that route, I can get an Ultra at AAP for around $7 with a code. Plus I can pick it up in store and inspect the filter before walking out the door with it.

The RP filter isn't worth mentioning in a "best value" discussion.

The best oil filter on the market is $14-$16 dollars (RP.) Im more interested in the "value" of quality rather than saving a dollar or two.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I forgot to throw in availability. Not everybody has Pep Boys near them either. If I can simply buy a Puro synthetic online from Pep Boys for roughly $9 with free shipping, then yes it is a bit more reasonable.

Ill admit its funny how you had to throw in the sale price of the Puro synthetic and compare that to the normal WM Ultra price to make the purchase more justified. If you want to go that route, I can get an Ultra at AAP for around $7 with a code. Plus I can pick it up in store and inspect the filter before walking out the door with it.

The best oil filter on the market is $14-$16 dollars (RP.) Im more interested in the "value" of quality rather than saving a dollar or two.

Now we are getting to the opinion based stuff. I see where this is going.
smile.gif

On all the cars I serviced over the past 20 years I used all filters for 10,000 miles. No engine sludged or failed and several had well over 200,000 miles when they were traded or sold.

A lot of worry about nothing.

What about KN filters? I know they have a good reputation for air filters. But I've never seen them mentioned.

How do they compare?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Fram Ultra. By far the best filter I have ever used, and at $8-9 a pop, not bad at all. Very highly regarded on this forum.

Is Fram Ultra the answer to every question asked on this site?
Its a good filter,but too many people are obsessed with the marketing hype.Too many people think its going to make their engine last forever. Its almost as bad as the Slick 50 marketing hype. Look at some of the mileage that people get out of many Honda and Toyota engines using OEM(rock catchers)and cheap filters from the quick lube.

How is RP superior to the Ultra?

Yes, combined with Pennzoil Platinum...all purchased at Walmart
wink.gif

smile.gif

No opinion here. Watch the video! No other filter is manufactured to those standards. Fram is a nice filter, but unless Fram provides information to the public stating otherwise, those RP filters seem to have the same filtration, with much tougher specs.

No opinion here. Watch the video! No other filter is manufactured to those standards. Fram is a nice filter, but unless Fram provides information to the public stating otherwise, those RP filters seem to have the same filtration, with much tougher specs.

RP states "The 100% synthetic micro-glass media we use to make Extended Life filters provides superior particle removal – with 99% filtration efficiency at as small as 25 microns."

Fram states "99%+ filtration efficiency...FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency and dirt holding capacity using FRAM XG3387A, XG8A, and XG4967 and their leading economy filter model equivalents under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns." Motorking (FRAM employee) has confirmed these ratings apply to all FRAM Ultras.

So while I can see that FRAM tests against ISO 4548-12, I did not see a reference to any standardized tests on RP's site (if there are, please post the link because I could not find it). FRAM also seems to have more model coverage versus RP. Last but not least, FRAM's media is more efficient (20 microns versus 25 microns), and since they cost less than RP, I fail to see how RP is better.

Convince me.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

So while I can see that FRAM tests against ISO 4548-12, I did not see a reference to any standardized tests on RP's site (if there are, please post the link because I could not find it). FRAM also seems to have more model coverage versus RP. Last but not least, FRAM's media is more efficient (20 microns versus 25 microns), and since they cost less than RP, I fail to see how RP is better.

Convince me.

Because it said so in a video he saw on the internet!
crazy.gif

smile.gif

The RP filter is manufactured the same as the AMSOIL filter. It is a product of Champion Labs, now owned by the same folks that own FRAM. These were the people who used to make the K&N filters, make the Mobil 1 filters and a number others on the market.

It is an excellent filter but there is nothing unique about it other than it is purple.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The RP filter is manufactured the same as the AMSOIL filter. It is a product of Champion Labs, now owned by the same folks that own FRAM. These were the people who used to make the K&N filters, make the Mobil 1 filters and a number others on the market.

Just gonna throw in that even though it's made by the same guys (Champion Labs) that make Amsoil filters, they may have different specified media. Same situation as Purolator making the Motorcraft filters; they have different media than the other filters Purolator makes.

The RP is a nice filter, but as pointed out the Ultra still is better in efficiency rating, and to a referenced ISO efficiency spec that apparently the RP people haven't divulged.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
M1 and RP are the same Champion Labs made filter with wire backed synthetic media.

Bosch Long Life appears to be a Purolator Synthetic, as Purolator makes the Bosch filters. Both have wire backed synthetic media.

Wix XP is a wire backed synthetic media filter and they also make the Amsoil Ea synthetic media filters.

Any of these would work great and cost around $15 (give or take a few $$ between different models).

A Fram Ultraguard which has just as good metal backed synthetic media as the above filters costs under $10 (I got 4 for $30). That is why it is so popular on BITOG. Hoping when I have to buy more in about 3-4 years that they will be just as good.
M1 actually uses a synthetic blend, like a Bosch Distance Plus-decent filter, but not in the class of RP, Fleetguard Stratapore, Amsoil Ea, NAPA Platinum/Wix XP, or even the Fram Ultra.

It is an excellent filter but there is nothing unique about it other than it is purple.

ROYAL Purple is unique because it is used in Royal vehicles.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Just gonna throw in that even though it's made by the same guys (Champion Labs) that make Amsoil filters, they may have different specified media. Same situation as Purolator making the Motorcraft filters; they have different media than the other filters Purolator makes.

The RP is a nice filter, but as pointed out the Ultra still is better in efficiency rating, and to a referenced ISO efficiency spec that apparently the RP people haven't divulged.

I imagine the media is still a Donaldson product, perhaps different efficiency but the construction of the filters is nary identical FWIW.

Unfortunately, it appears that it is...perhaps bob should relinquish his rights to the site and let it be renamed "www.Framultraforeverything.com"
smirk.gif

++++1

I do like the way you guys think!!!!

z06 Im surprised that you actually agreed that the RP is a nice filter! Something we can both agree on. I think it probably filters more efficiently than the FU, but I have no evidence at present to back that up. I do know the can is constructed to much stronger tolerances. Anyhow, Im glad you like them, its just shocking because of your "A filters name doesn't matter as long as it says Fram" slogan....

cheers3.gif
grin.gif

z06 Im surprised that you actually agreed that the RP is a nice filter! Something we can both agree on. I think it probably filters more efficiently than the FU, but I have no evidence at present to back that up. I do know the can is constructed to much stronger tolerances. Anyhow, Im glad you like them, its just shocking because of your "A filters name doesn't matter as long as it says Fram" slogan....

cheers3.gif
grin.gif

As my signature basically says ... If it's good inside it's good. I like good.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
I normally do 8K - 10K oil changes with M1. Have been using Royal Purple filters. Expensive and hard to find. Am considering changing to Wix/Hastings/Baldwin filters. Will these standard filters be OK with that kind of mileage? Thanks.

I still change the long life filters as I would a cheaper one, 5k. I bought some Fram Ultras at Pep Boys, online, 10 filters for $51 shipped to my door. The RP can be had for a little over $10, or five filters shipped free for about $51. Plus tax if they charge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back