How to choose an oil filter - IMHO

I spent 23 years working ot a forklift dealership we also did fleet work and I will say from experience unless the filter fails and clogs us the oil passages, we will never see any difference in engine life despite what the marketing says.

Generally agree, expect the "Made in USA..superior". While I don't generally buy by country, I buy by reputable brand, the best filters I have used and cut open are from Europe, mainly Germany and Austria, but also Italy. Many of the USA made filters just aren't that impressive.

For me, it is generally Hengst, Mann & Hummel (Europe), Mahle and CoopersFIAAM...but that is an odd case. As far as China, yes its distasteful, but I would buy a Mahle made in China filter over a US Fram any day, but I would prefer one made in the EU.

I've only had two filter 'fails' in all my playing w/ cars; one a Champ made Mobil1 that had a misplaced ADBV that got mangled when it was crimped and the other was a Fram that had obvious burrs on the threads. Both were returned.
Only semi filter failure I’ve had was a Bosch 72230ws workshop filter on my 16 scion ia don’t know what the issue was exactly maybe a low thread count but filter came loose twice. Swapped out with a Delco pf1237 problem solved.

Generally agree, expect the "Made in USA..superior". While I don't generally buy by country, I buy by reputable brand, the best filters I have used and cut open are from Europe, mainly Germany and Austria, but also Italy. Many of the USA made filters just aren't that impressive.

For me, it is generally Hengst, Mann & Hummel (Europe), Mahle and CoopersFIAAM...but that is an odd case. As far as China, yes its distasteful, but I would buy a Mahle made in China filter over a US Fram any day, but I would prefer one made in the EU.

I've only had two filter 'fails' in all my playing w/ cars; one a Champ made Mobil1 that had a misplaced ADBV that got mangled when it was crimped and the other was a Fram that had obvious burrs on the threads. Both were returned.
Mahle makes the OEM Nissan filters. The louvers are hardly open on a couple I have here. Generally Mahle makes good stuff, but I will pass on their oil filters.

I would like to try a Hengst. They actually have a plant here in South Carolina. Not sure which filters they make in that plant, but if its made in South Carolina it must be good (y). I have put a Hengst in my RA cart several times, but it always ships by itself so its like 10 bucks to ship one filter. There are also not really much for Specs on the Hengst my Nissan's call for - H97W05

Mahle makes the OEM Nissan filters. The louvers are hardly open on a couple I have here. Generally Mahle makes good stuff, but I will pass on their oil filters.

I would like to try a Hengst. They actually have a plant here in South Carolina. Not sure which filters they make in that plant, but if its made in South Carolina it must be good (y). I have put a Hengst in my RA cart several times, but it always ships by itself so its like 10 bucks to ship one filter. There are also not really much for Specs on the Hengst my Nissan's call for - H97W05
The last 3 Nissan filters I had are made in mexico by gonher. I’ve heard mixed feelings on these they seem to be stout little cans o-ring style gasket silicone adbv. I have one more left in my stash then I’ll be breaking into the eco-gards.

To be honest, I just decided to go OEM from now on. Got a case of Hyundai Filters and a case of Mazda Filters. FOr the Hyundai KIA vehicles, I do have a few Wix left and a couple Supertechs. After that, OEM. I did use an OEM on my sons Santa Fe for his first oil change at 44K.

To be honest, I just decided to go OEM from now on. Got a case of Hyundai Filters and a case of Mazda Filters. FOr the Hyundai KIA vehicles, I do have a few Wix left and a couple Supertechs. After that, OEM. I did use an OEM on my sons Santa Fe for his first oil change at 44K.
Any idea who makes the Hyundai filters. I think it used to be Dongwoo - which was aquired by M&H years ago. Do they still make them?

My Nissan OEM filters leave much to be desired. I thought they were Mahle - but I was corrected that there from Gonher. Thumbs up to @Rogueman2016s for the info.

My Toyota filters are made by Denso. There decent.

Car under warranty: OEM from the dealer

After warranty: Any filter recommended in the filter catalog by the filter manufacturer.

Not really interested in bypass valve value, anti drain valve material etc.

Currently have an under $5 filter on my Subaru. Not losing sleep about it.

Lots of threads on here about which oil filter someone should use or does use, even a thread with rankings. But given everyone has there own set of requirements, I figured I would share my process or at least what I think about, in hopes others would also.

This stems from using the Wix filters like 15 years without question - because someone said it was good and it was made in USA. When things started changing with them, I had to figure out what to use next, and I got a lot of help from very patient senior members like @ZeeOSix , amongst others. So thank all of you.

Anyway, here goes.

IMHO, there are about 8 things that can be evaluated on an oil filter. Many of those 8 may not matter to a lot of people. Here is my take on how to evaluate.

1) filter efficiency - obviously very important - except a lot of filters have no rating. The best seems to be some of the Fram's which are 20um @99%. Lots of people could simply stop here I suppose. OEM filters never have a rating, yet are good enough for the OEM? Can be confusing at best. I like to buy ones with highly rated efficiency, but I certainly don't think its all that matters.

2) ADBV - Silicon rubber tolerates heat and age better, so I like them. Of course Nitrile Rubber works fine usually for short OCI. I wouldn't likely use a 5 year old filter with a nitrile ADBV personally as they can harden over time, but many have without issues.

3) Center tube. Everyone favorite - metal tube with holes - including me - but there getting hard to find and usually cost more. E-core, which is a type of plastic core, had issues when it first came out, but no one has seen any issues for a while. I will use them for short OCI - but I expect only on a budget filter. Metal with louvers - fine in theory, but you don't know how well the louvers are open until you own the filter. I avoid them if I can, but its probably not a showstopper. If the filter louvers aren't open enough for you - return it.

4) Build quality. Likely the most important factor - but you don't know until you cut it open so how to choose? I pay close attention to the cut opens posted here - and greatly appreciate those that do it, like @53' Stude who does many. I avoid filters with consistent quality issues. Beyond that I don't know how you judge.

5) Cost. Duh. For some it matters, for some it does not. There are some great filters for cheap, and some filters that cost a lot more that aren't as good. Marketing costs a lot apparently.

6) Retailer. I buy from Walmart, or Rock Auto when ordering something else. Others buy from Amazon or their favorite parts store. My suggestion here is there are a lot of great oil filters but not very many great retailers, so if there is a retailer you like, just choose amongst the filters they sell.

7) Media. If you haven't read @OVERKILL media type overview - you really should. Having said that, with the lack of the Dondalsdon media availability, where all just relying on what the manufacturer calls it. All things being equal, I would prefer a synthetic - synthetic blend - cellulose - in that order. However given were just using what the manufacturer calls it, not sure I would put too much weight into it. Now go read this anyway: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

8) Country of Origin means a lot to me. Made in USA is superior. Made by friends in Mexico or Canada (are any made in Canada?) are OK in my book. I won't use anything made in China. Other places - it depends on what I get for it - cheaper, better, whatever. You should think this way. Unless you live in Australia for example. Then buy one made in Australia.

Things I don't believe matter, but might to someone:

• Leaf spring or coil spring. IMHO, they both hold the thing together, and I haven't seen any recorded issues with either.
  • Base plate. Can be thick or thin. Sort of indicates overall quality, but not sure how much it really matters?
  • Gasket - thickness and material. Given I haven't had one leak other than operator error, I don't pay much attention. I do pay attention that its properly seated and put a little oil on it before I install.
  • End Caps - metal or fiber. Doesn't matter to me. I haven't seen a fiber end cap failure post anywhere here. Still some don't like them, so choose something else if you don't - its your money.
  • Mileage rating. I have no idea how this is defined and most filters don't even have a number, so again, not sure how to compare. I run short OCI's. This could be really important for some. Its not important to me at all. Use your own judgement.

So what did I miss?

How do you decide?
I use oem problem solved. And each to their own.

Any idea who makes the Hyundai filters. I think it used to be Dongwoo - which was aquired by M&H years ago. Do they still make them?

My Nissan OEM filters leave much to be desired. I thought they were Mahle - but I was corrected that there from Gonher. Thumbs up to @Rogueman2016s for the info.

Two complaints I’ve heard with the Nissan filters made by gonher is excessive gluing and an issue where the adbv would flip backwards on itself. The excessive gluing seems to be a common production flaw with Mexico made filters. But the adbv issue is highly concerning.

I used to service a Saturn L-200 and the AcDelco filters were a Hengst in an AcDelco box.. Thought that was interesting. This would have been 10yrs ago or so.

I use oem problem solved. And each to their own.
Not really. The OEM's don't make their filters. Some are good, some aren't great, and they can change at any time. They can also change based on country of origin. There is no notice when they do.

Depends on which OEM.

Not really. The OEM's don't make their filters. Some are good, some aren't great, and they can change at any time. They can also change based on country of origin. There is no notice when they do.

Depends on which OEM.
The OEM I buy is made by Tokyo Roki. I am fine with that their quality is great. I do understand where you are coming from.

I think OEM filters are designed to protect their warranty more than your engine. The efficiency is low, but it flows high enough to avoid bypassing much. As long as you get to 100,000 miles with minimum maintenance, you'll be happy to buy another one, & they are happy to sell you one, Lol

The case I just bought say M&H on the side. Maybe an older case though? I'll have to look at the date codes.

I used to service a Saturn L-200 and the AcDelco filters were a Hengst in an AcDelco box.. Thought that was interesting. This would have been 10yrs ago or so.
They USED to be-now they have a no-name import cartridge in there. If they carry the one you need, FCP Euro seems to be a good place to buy Hengst-for instance, the GM Ecotec filter is also used in a Saab 9-3, so they have them,

Back