Need Opinions Re: Regular vs Long Life Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally do 8K - 10K oil changes with M1. Have been using Royal Purple filters. Expensive and hard to find. Am considering changing to Wix/Hastings/Baldwin filters. Will these standard filters be OK with that kind of mileage? Thanks.

Fram Ultra. By far the best filter I have ever used, and at $8-9 a pop, not bad at all. Very highly regarded on this forum.

I can say I've seen WIX filters being ran that long here before, but not so much the Hastings or Baldwin filters. They do appear stout though.

Other considerations are the M1, Fram Ultra/ TG, or Bosch D+.

Purolator Synthetic. Cheaper than RP, but almost the same quality. I run them both on the wifes escape. They both work very well.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
I normally do 8K - 10K oil changes with M1. Have been using Royal Purple filters. Expensive and hard to find. Am considering changing to Wix/Hastings/Baldwin filters. Will these standard filters be OK with that kind of mileage? Thanks.

Any of those three would be fine for 10k miles. This is presuming you're in control of a good engine and not a slugder or other neglected piece.

I've successfully run a Puro Classic for 10k miles and an FL400S for 15k miles; they were perfectly fine after such use. Pics here on the site for proof. I've run Wix for 10k miles no issues and pics here also.

And although you didn't ask, I suspect you don't need the M1 either. I ran the above filters on dino oil; most of it ST.

There is a huge amount of reserve capacity in normal products, despite all the hysteria here to the contrary.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra. Will go 15K easily, very high efficiency, good flow, $9! I honestly wouldnt look anywhere else.

Quote:
Fram Ultra. Will go 15K easily, very high efficiency, good flow, $9! I honestly wouldnt look anywhere else.

+1

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Fram Ultra. By far the best filter I have ever used, and at $8-9 a pop, not bad at all. Very highly regarded on this forum.

Since this filter (Fram Ultra) is guaranteed for 15K, and many push it to 20K....you can use it for two OCI's (2 x 8000=16,000).

IMO....The ULTRA might be the best long-OCI filter available and definitely the "best bang for the buck". It has double synthetic media and is metal backed, and has a 99% efficiency rating as well. Its hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Since this filter (Fram Ultra) is guaranteed for 15K, and many push it to 20K....you can use it for two OCI's (2 x 8000=16,000).

IMO....The ULTRA might be the best long-OCI filter available and definitely the "best bang for the buck". It has double synthetic media and is metal backed, and has a 99% efficiency rating as well. Its hard to beat.

x 2 - the Fram Ultra is the only filter I use these days.

Predecessor of Fram Ultra is Extended Guard with minor enhancements, Extended Guard was very good but didn't get any traction on BITOG.

Fram Ultra got so much attentions here especially after all the tear problems with various Purolator part numbers.

I'm not complaining about Fram Ultra(I bought several for my S2000 and Accord). I just notice that every time someone asks about oil filter for reasonable change interval of 8-10k or longer, everyone recommends Fram Ultra(and I did too).

I go 15k miles on my Baldwin B202 oil filter on my Honda S2000. Have done that for 112k miles and I don't have to add any oil in my 7500 oil change intervals. Yes, one oil filter for two oil changes.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'm not complaining about Fram Ultra(I bought several for my S2000 and Accord). I just notice that every time someone asks about oil filter for reasonable change interval of 8-10k or longer, everyone recommends Fram Ultra(and I did too).

IMHO, it is the cost versus performance. After my 15K run, the Ultra I cut open was stellar in every way and I like the fact that I do not have to worry about the media due to the wire backing. At present, there is not another filter in the same price range with so many features. I just hope it is not "cheapened" in the long run to increase profits.

M1 and RP are the same Champion Labs made filter with wire backed synthetic media.

Bosch Long Life appears to be a Purolator Synthetic, as Purolator makes the Bosch filters. Both have wire backed synthetic media.

Wix XP is a wire backed synthetic media filter and they also make the Amsoil Ea synthetic media filters.

Any of these would work great and cost around $15 (give or take a few $$ between different models).

A Fram Ultraguard which has just as good metal backed synthetic media as the above filters costs under $10 (I got 4 for $30). That is why it is so popular on BITOG. Hoping when I have to buy more in about 3-4 years that they will be just as good.

Is Fram Ultra the answer to every question asked on this site?

FYI guys.

Occording to WMs pricing (for the average spin on filters), the Ultra and the TG are nearly identical in price if both are ran to their recommended intervals. The TG will easily be able to do 8-10k. Fun fact, the Extra Guard priced at $3.77 and ran at 5k is actually a little over priced compared to the others too.

Even when the Ultra is ran 2x, the only benefits are a faster/ cleaner oil change. I do this with my moms Elantra.

If AAP carried TG's I would be using those over the Ultra 100% of the time, but I get Ultra's for cheap/ nearly free with codes so its hard to turn them down.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Is Fram Ultra the answer to every question asked on this site?

Unfortunately, it appears that it is...perhaps bob should relinquish his rights to the site and let it be renamed "www.Framultraforeverything.com"
smirk.gif

Its the cheapest extended interval oil filter out there for the folks who have the fiber end cap phobia. Unless I am missing something, this seems to be a fact.

If other like filters were more comparable in price, I'd imagine we would have more of variety of extended filter recommendations.

Purolator Synthetics are $14 at Pep Boys. They constantly run 35% off sales throughout the year online (with free shipping.) That makes these Filters right at $9. How is that not comparable in price? There are more options out there besides Puro synthetic, this is just one example of an extended interval filter that is comparable to the price of an Ultra. For a dollar or two more during these sales you could get a RP filter. Those things blow Fram and Puro out of the water.

A video for those not familiar:

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Purolator Synthetics are $14 at Pep Boys. They constantly run 35% off sales throughout the year online (with free shipping.) That makes these Filters right at $9. How is that not comparable in price? There are more options out there besides Puro synthetic, this is just one example of an extended interval filter that is comparable to the price of an Ultra. For a dollar or two more during these sales you could get a RP filter. Those things blow Fram and Puro out of the water.

A video for those not familiar:

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/

I forgot to throw in availability. Not everybody has Pep Boys near them either. If I can simply buy a Puro synthetic online from Pep Boys for roughly $9 with free shipping, then yes it is a bit more reasonable.

Ill admit its funny how you had to throw in the sale price of the Puro synthetic and compare that to the normal WM Ultra price to make the purchase more justified. If you want to go that route, I can get an Ultra at AAP for around $7 with a code. Plus I can pick it up in store and inspect the filter before walking out the door with it.

The RP filter isn't worth mentioning in a "best value" discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back