Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A02 vs Amsoil EA15K13-EA w/ HPL 5W30

I'm about a week or so away from the halfway point of a 3.5K mile OCI with M1 5W30 (the full synthetic "classic" not the EP) and 1qt of HPL Engine Cleaner 30 in my '13 Acura TL SH-AWD. Current odometer is just over 33k miles and this M1 and HPL EC went in at 31,381. Per Dave's suggestions in a few threads about running the EC for 3-4k miles with a standard oil, the filter should be changed about halfway - so for me, about 1750miles. A Honda A02 filter was put on with this OCI and I have another that will replace at the filter swap of 1750 approx miles. I do plan to do the whole cut open, wicking, and examining after a few days for debris.

After the HPL EC has fully run about 3500 miles, I'm moving to the full HPL PCMO 5W30. As the only real concern I have on this low mileage engine is future consumption bc of ring coking (a known issue on the J37 with low OCIs and lower quality oils. I'm thinking a 5K OCI here on out with the HPL 5W30 and possibly - depending on feedback here - a filter swap at the approx 2500 mile mark mainly to see "how she is looking". I must admit when I first bought this car almost 3 months ago and started reading the forums and going down the rabbit hole of dedicating myself to HPL and other higher quality products to keep this V6 as clean as possible I did purchase a number of the A02 filters and a few Amsoil EA15K13-EA filters as well. With that preface here are the questions I'm looking for feedback on.....

1) Assuming the time (I work for an auto group so I can pull my car onto a lift and swap filters at no inconvenience or cost) and money is not a factor, does swapping filters approx every 2.5-3k miles on a HPL 5W30 5-6k mileage drain interval do anything positive? As in, ensuring contaminants are being filtered out as freshly as possible? The previous owner hardly drove the car over those 10 years so it sat for weeks/months at a time and looks like it had oil changes once every 10k miles.

2) With the above plan - if it is sound - for a very short change interval, would the Honda OEM or Amsoil filter really be "better" than the other in any meaningful regard as long filter life and intervals would not matter?

It appears the Acura parts website lists the OEM filter as Honeywell branded but I've also read here that they are/were made by Fram.

After the HPL EC has fully run about 3500 miles, I'm moving to the full HPL PCMO 5W30. As the only real concern I have on this low mileage engine is future consumption bc of ring coking (a known issue on the J37 with low OCIs and lower quality oils. I'm thinking a 5K OCI here on out with the HPL 5W30 and possibly - depending on feedback here - a filter swap at the approx 2500 mile mark mainly to see "how she is looking".
I would do that the first time, and if the filter looks not too loaded up (which I doubt it will since your engine is low miles), then just leave them on for the entire OCI from there on out.

I'm about a week or so away from the halfway point of a 3.5K mile OCI with M1 5W30 (the full synthetic "classic" not the EP) and 1qt of HPL Engine Cleaner 30 in my '13 Acura TL SH-AWD. Current odometer is just over 33k miles and this M1 and HPL EC went in at 31,381. Per Dave's suggestions in a few threads about running the EC for 3-4k miles with a standard oil, the filter should be changed about halfway - so for me, about 1750miles. A Honda A02 filter was put on with this OCI and I have another that will replace at the filter swap of 1750 approx miles.
Who is this Dave and why does the engine need a cleaner with only 31,000 miles?

Honestly, unless the filters are really loaded while running the EC30, I wouldn't change the filter until the end of your 5k change interval.
Those Amsoil filters are one of the top filters out there and it would be a waste to take it out of service early.

Back