Need new oil for VQ35DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this post in the UOA section.

It seems to indicate Mobil1 to not be the best choice in that engine, and 2 high moly reguilar dino oils seemed to do better.

I'm guessing GC 0w30, due to its relativly high viscosity at temperature would be a good place to start.

I just put GC in my G35 last week. I was previously using PP 5W30, but had a 40ppm lead reading on the last UOA. I'll run the GC for about 4K and do another UOA to see if there is any improvement.

Used Gold GC for 3 intervals...got irritating oil consumption.
Used Syntec 10W-30...seemed like less consumption.
Currently using Mobil 1 0W-40. Too early to tell but long drain oils in this engine such as this and GC make me more comfortable since it seems to tax oils' TBN pretty hard.

Quote:

Did you notice the engine being not as responsive with the heaviver GC verses PP 5w-30?

A little bit. Thicker oil usually has that effect. It sure is smoother and quieter though. My wife drives it, so when I get out of my Tundra or S2000 to drive the G35, it's difficult to compare subtle differences unless I drive the car everyday.
It's too early to detect any consumption. I never had any before, so I will notice.

I have ran various oil in my VQ35DE (350Z) including Mobil 1 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, Valvoline Durablend 5W-30, Castrol GTX 10W-30 and GC. Out of all of them, GC gave me the smoothest rev. I would use GC for all future oil changes, but it is becoming harder to find.

VQ30DE - Experienced consumption in the first OC, but by the second, it became negligible (can't explain why). Revs a sooth as a baby's bottom and plenty of responsiveness with all that torque. The 3.5l should be that much better.

OK well I decided to go with Amsoil TSO 0w-30 and change every 6-7k miles, I don't want to lose any engine responsiveness with the thicker GC.

Theoretically, yes. That's why GC doesn't have the starburst energy conserving logo on the bottle. Whether the difference will be big enough for you to actually notice it is anyone's guess.

I'm not a fan of Mobil 1 oils and the GF's G35 coupe is due for an oil change soon. I initially was recommending GC, but would almost like to get something a bit thinner to try and improve the gas mileage. Redline oils anyone?

I drove my G35 yesterday for the first time since changing the oil to GC a week or so ago from PP 5W30. All of my subjective thoughts are possitive at this point. The engine seems very responsive still, yet smoother and quieter. It even seems stronger. It's still too early to tell if there will be oil consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back