Need new ATX DDR4 Motherboard

The 48gb combo will go to the base 2133MHz.
2800MHz is still overclocked ram and needs to be matched in order to work.
On a 12th gen the standard speed is like 3200mhz, I'd think the BIOS would default to whatever the fastest JEDEC speed programmed in the SPD is on the slowest set of modules, I'd expect the 2800 kit would probably support 2666, although I'd probably just stick with the 32GB at 3200 as more memory bandwidth is always preferable when running integrated graphics, and 32GB is already more than good enough for a basic productivity machine.

Wow my ignorance again! Thanks
Not ignorance, crappy industry. The base speed is the only certified speed that all ddr4 ram sticks have to meet. XMP (extreme memory profiles) are not actually officially supported and it is not an industry standard. It just simply happened lol.

I would wager a lot of people run their “fancy” RAM at base clock speeds because not many know that you have to manually enable the XMP profile in bios.
Most manufacturers do the same, they charge for fast RAM, but don’t enable the XMP in bios. Crazy.

On a 12th gen the standard speed is like 3200mhz, I'd think the BIOS would default to whatever the fastest JEDEC speed programmed in the SPD is on the slowest set of modules, I'd expect the 2800 kit would probably support 2666, although I'd probably just stick with the 32GB at 3200 as more memory bandwidth is always preferable when running integrated graphics, and 32GB is already more than good enough for a basic productivity machine.

Not sure about that, I never had a motherboard automatically pick up the XMP profile based on RAM speed. I always had to set it manually.

On a mismatched set maybe one would be able to use something moderate, like you mentioned 2666 or so, but it’s questionable IMO.

Not sure about that, I never had a motherboard automatically pick up the XMP profile based on RAM speed. I always had to set it manually.

On a mismatched set maybe one would be able to use something moderate, like you mentioned 2666 or so, but it’s questionable IMO.
XMP profiles are not automatic but RAM modules usually have multiple JEDEC speeds programmed into the SPD, like the 3200 kit that's in my laptop has several, CPU-Z only shows 4 of them but they can program several different speeds into them, they usually program a few with looser timing and slower clock rates that way if you mix them with another non-identical module the computer can find the fastest common supported speed between them.
1698255727426.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mATX fits inside ATX case, do you have a specific number of cards or ram slots you need to fit so you have to go ATX?

Edit: I see that you need ATX because of the # of DDR slots.
Yes and I want to match.

Today I stripped every thing down and got a lot more dust out than a normal desktop clean. Kinda nasty, but all the keeper parts are ready

Reactions: Pew
That's it for any MSI JUNK. I had an MSI tiny laptop die in less than 2 years, and other MSI issues. This MB was the last straw.

Thanks to all who steered me to Asus. This board is a tank and real bargain.

Not too bad. The built in wifi may have been worth it alone. It just screams. Fast.

Set the RAM (now 64GB) to it's listed speed (3200Mhz) and all four sticks matching. Easy (defaulted to 2400Mhz). I thought it might be sketchy due to price/Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRZRP8Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Not much else, was a hassle getting the small front panel connectors in but just slow with fat fingers.

Oh when first booting all the unused fan power positions (like 6 or something) kept giving me a dummy underspeed error. Well duh. Need to go a couple layers in to "ignore". I had to move the drives around because the right angle SATA connector cable wouldn't fit.

Took some hands to do the cooler and heatsink and thermal paste, but not bad.

OH yeah hahahahhaha I'm typing this on my laptop. You might ask WHY?. Let me just say I killed my old keyboard trying to clean it. It kinda works, but not - seems like the vowels and space bar work from 10-25% of the time. Would have taken me an hour to type this. It was way overdue for replacement, new one arrives today.

Yeah I might buy a new video card after all.

That's it for any MSI JUNK. I had an MSI tiny laptop die in less than 2 years, and other MSI issues. This MB was the last straw.

Thanks to all who steered me to Asus. This board is a tank and real bargain.

Not too bad. The built in wifi may have been worth it alone. It just screams. Fast.

Set the RAM (now 64GB) to it's listed speed (3200Mhz) and all four sticks matching. Easy (defaulted to 2400Mhz). I thought it might be sketchy due to price/Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRZRP8Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Not much else, was a hassle getting the small front panel connectors in but just slow with fat fingers.

Oh when first booting all the unused fan power positions (like 6 or something) kept giving me a dummy underspeed error. Well duh. Need to go a couple layers in to "ignore". I had to move the drives around because the right angle SATA connector cable wouldn't fit.

Took some hands to do the cooler and heatsink and thermal paste, but not bad.

OH yeah hahahahhaha I'm typing this on my laptop. You might ask WHY?. Let me just say I killed my old keyboard trying to clean it. It kinda works, but not - seems like the vowels and space bar work from 10-25% of the time. Would have taken me an hour to type this. It was way overdue for replacement, new one arrives today.

Yeah I might buy a new video card after all.
Glad you are pleased with the ASUS board! Yes, I've never been a fan of MSI, but always had fantastic service from ASUS.

He'd already opened a new set of DDR4 to seem if that was the problem with the old system.
Yeah… I’ve just been burned too many times trying to hold onto last-gen ram. It sucks but I’ve found selling the old ram and buying the new stuff pays off in the long run.

Either way seems like it is working out ok.

Overall laptops these days if you're not buying the professional laptops (HP Elitebook/zBook, Dell Latitude/Precision, Lenovo T/P/X series) are all pretty poorly built and if you buy gaming laptops regardless of brand they all seem to love just up and dying one day within a few years. 8 years is a pretty good run on any motherboard, and it's hard to pinpoint a defect in workmanship from the manufacturer at that point, at 8 years anything could have caused the failure.

Glad you are pleased with the ASUS board! Yes, I've never been a fan of MSI, but always had fantastic service from ASUS.
Asus is my go-to. Never had issues with MSI aside from some goofy bios UI and language, but every Gigabyte board I’ve ever owned has burned through BOTH their bioses.

It’s like they think “our schtick is dual bioses so we don’t have to make sure it won’t brick itself during an update.”

Why though? I'm 65. This new ram should last and DDR4 will be around. I don't game, the thing is plenty fast for me.
Because instead of an AM4 setup you’d be in an AM5 setup. You’d be capable of upgrading to the next couple generations of CPU.

I was just speaking for myself there. My experience might lead to a different conclusion than yours, and that’s ok.

Because instead of an AM4 setup you’d be in an AM5 setup. You’d be capable of upgrading to the next couple generations of CPU.

I was just speaking for myself there. My experience might lead to a different conclusion than yours, and that’s ok.
I thought he cancelled the AMD board and went with a 12th gen Intel, from what I've seen on the Intel platform the difference between DDR4 and DDR5 isn't much even using the IGP, DDR5 still seems to be in it's early stages where it hasn't reach it's optimal point, it's seems like with each generation of DDR the next gen brings higher raw speed but it takes a while to mature before the latencies get low enough that it actually performs any better than the previous generation.

Good info exchange though. Thanks!

Frankly, the $ into this even with the new $30 keyboard is pretty low for what I have, sure the MB and CPU were not super cheap, but I did double my RAM for $100 and got a new pretty good PSU for $50 that should last awhle

Back