Need info on used BMW 3 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - a long commute is much more tolerable in a comfortable car. I see a lot of long-range commuters on my daily commute, some of whom are in the little economizers....none have smiles on their faces. I smile entering and leaving my fuel haunts....smiling because I'm getting 28MPG in my 6000 lb comfortmobile and smiling because I don't feel worn out when I get home.....not much different than my living room just no tv and no fridge ten feet away.

I don't commute, but if I were forced to I would buy another LWB S class, or a big Lexus. Something that isolates you from the world.

Because if your going to waste time in traffic, you might as well do it in a nice comfortable car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Funny -- this exact idea is what makes me and most of my friends laugh at the idea of buying a brand new Accord/Camry. I.e., why buy something that utterly boring to drive when you could have something like a NICE used E46 for the same price?

That's the exact thing my wife and I were thinking when we bought our 2010 BMW 328i this summer. For the price we paid ($22,000 CDN) that could have gotten us a brand new Civic (not even the top level one, but just a well optioned one) but this car is much better. We've had it a few months now and have put over 5000 trouble free kilometers on it so far. Even if it costs us an extra $500 to $1000 per year to maintain it versus something else, it'll be worth it, as it's a fantastic car to drive. And even though it's got 86,000km on it, the car still feels as tight as a new one.

There is only one problem, now it makes me want to replace my Civic with something less boring! I find myself borrowing her BMW quite often on days when it's not a Corvette friendly day (rain in the forecast)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Buy from a private party and see if they put cheap tires on it. If they used cheap tires they'll be cheap about other services as well.

Truer words were never spoken.

I always look at what they spend on tires. Cheap tires & cheap maintenance usually go together.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
But what happens when that $18,000 used Audi, BMW or Mercedes breaks down and needs $$$ repairs.

Yeah, I finally got "soaked" on a repair of my 15 year old R129 this month. A massive $190 bill for a leaking transmission plug. Had I ignored it (like many do), it would have been a $1,500 TCM replacement next year.

Depends on the car. Some older Germans are pretty darn reliable. Newer ones, not so much.

I knew a guy that bought a used E320 Mercedes and could not afford the repairs.

There are plenty of people who can't afford the repairs even on domestics. Some people just don't factor in the fact that old cars need fixing, period.

With that said, wife's Mercedes is one of those vehicles that you just don't want to keep past extended warranty. Too many things going wrong and very expensive things. Alas, I think we just got unlucky with it. All in all, they're not too bad.

I knew a guy who bought a Corvette and was balding and recently divorced.

Knowing how to fix 'em yourself is the key to owning an old car, any old car. Why do think I'm on my 5th 528e in 18 yrs? I couldn't afford to pay to have them maintained to the level I do in my driveway. I had 3 of them on the road at one point, and 2 'til recently.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There are plenty of people who can't afford the repairs even on domestics. Some people just don't factor in the fact that old cars need fixing, period.

With that said, wife's Mercedes is one of those vehicles that you just don't want to keep past extended warranty. Too many things going wrong and very expensive things. Alas, I think we just got unlucky with it. All in all, they're not too bad.

Tons of them around here. And the bargains are everywhere. Used A8 for 7500.00. Used 750i for 6500.00. So many that my Son and I are going to buy one to flip!

One thing is for sure, the used market never lies. The true value of any car is what someone else will give you for it in cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back