Need help with selecting a good portable generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Sandy passing over us last night and leaving a nice swath of power outages (I still have electric here at the house!), it got me thinking about portable generators. We bought some generic one from Home Depot, but it was quite expensive and so we returned it this morning, unused. I get quite a bit of basement flooding when it rains and so running my sump pump is mandatory during storms. Here is the wattage demand I need a generator to handle:
-1/3 or 1/2hp sump pump 5.8A or 13A
-Refrigerator 6.5A

I know starting wattage is a lot higher for those items, so I'm not sure what wattage outputs I need to be looking for in a generator. I've tried some of the calculators online, but they don't seem to work well. So I'm looking for some real-world experience here. I am looking at a Generac 3250 on the Home Depot website-

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Alte...#specifications

Would this be a good quality generator that would fit my needs or should I be looking at something else (Different wattage, different brand, etc...).

Last edited:
I bought a Robin Subary 1700W inverter generator. Robin engines are as good or better than Honda, and very robust. The inverter generators can be very efficient and the unit is quiet. It isnt on wheels, I can easily pick it up with one handle and put it in a car or easily take it anywhere, and it will more than handle a full circuit.

Both of those loads should be supported, but the way I figure, even if I only run one or a few loads at one time, who cares? I dont need the "luxury" of having an entire home online. Key is compactness, efficiency and transportability.

The little Honda and Subary generators good for 1.5-2kW are really where it's at, IMO.

Well - you can just add up the amps used by what you need to run as a minimum. Starting current for motors will be higher. Also a clamp-on ammeter will tell you peak and running amps.

Figure out how to connect. Don't back-feed. Either use extension cords or better yet get a transfer switch.

I would go for a 5KW (running) generator with a 5 gallon gas tank. Generac does make a decent generator.

You can also get battery backup sump pumps.

You will want 5kw. Lets face it, you WILL want to run some other stuff. When you sit in the dark running a fridg and a pump with nothing elese you are going to be mad.

Agree with 5KW range too, but you will have to determine what your own needs are.

I have a 6200 running watts genset with a B&S engine that has worked well for a number of years now, lots of choices out there.
We are not in a subdivision - our house has a well and aerobic septic system so we wanted these running for water and sewer, plus couple of fridges, lights. Comment above was right that we don't want to sit in the dark
smile.gif

I installed a proper transfer switch to run up to 10 circuits - I use 8 of them. If you install a transfer switch you will need a 220/240 outlet at the generator for connecting to the TS. I also powered up a couple of outlet circuits, one in the living room, one in the bedroom. This lets me install a small window/ac unit as a temp measure, and I've actually done this, TX summers are hot without power.

It's also come in handy for doing any construction/fencing/etc out of range of an extension cord.

And absolutely you don't want to backfeed into the grid. Don't ever connect into the house wiring without some type of isolation switch.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
You will want 5kw. Lets face it, you WILL want to run some other stuff. When you sit in the dark running a fridg and a pump with nothing elese you are going to be mad.

What did people do 50, 30, 10 years ago, before everybody and their brother had a cheap chinese generator?

Somehow people survived and stayed sane!

based on engine, the robin/subaru are tuff, but often times its tuff to find parts (if needed) locally, parts are an issue for generac engines too (finding locally). most OPE dealers stock briggs, kawasaki, honda, and kohler parts, as for other engines its usually special order or order online, waiting would be the last thing i would want to do in your situation

Most people make the mistake of buying a gen that is too small. Mine is a 5000w, wish I had a 7KW. My advise, Buy one larger than what you think you need.

My 1500 watt/ 2000 surge generator has a 2.8 HP engine on it. In spite of start up and conversion inefficiencies it should easily start a 1/3 hp electric motor.

My fridge uses about 280 watts, except for its defrost cycle which is supposedly 700-800. I have a kill a watt meter which helps figure these things out, also my utility just started a website where I can log in and see my smart meter "right now".

I'm with JHZR2 in the smaller is better camp. You can run a couple CFL lights, a laptop, cable modem etc with a mere 100 watts and stay up to date on what's going on out there. Gas is expensive and the noise of bigger ones can be obnoxious. The "chonda" OHVs are pretty good for quietness.

All great advice guys. I did myself a favor and bought a Kill A Watt meter to track my power usage on the sump pump and fridge. It appears I have a good, constant 122V and 60 cycles at my outlets. There is some delay on the meter when a unit turns on, but the sump pump came up to 6.5A when it started, according to the meter. I haven't checked the fride yet since I'll have to roll that out from the wall to play with it. It does appear I may want to get something in the 5000W range though just to be safe and have some extra oomph if needed.

To answer another question- I will have the generator out back behind my house and just run an extension cord to the fridge and another to the sump pump. I don't plan on installing any switches or panels to integrate a system. I want to only run the appliances I want to run!

Do you have a well? If so you will probably want to run that pump too so you can have water. And if it's like most well pumps, it runs on 220 so you'll need at least 5500 watts. I've got this one and am 100% satisfied:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-gen...tart-98838.html

For lights, what you may want to do is get a couple of the 100-200 watt CFL's. I've got one that I put in a lamp and it's enough to light up 1/2 the house to see by. IIRC it only uses under 20 watts. What you don't want to do is run incandescents @ 50-100+ watts each on generator power.

You will want more running than just the pumps. Trust me.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

What did people do 50, 30, 10 years ago, before everybody and their brother had a cheap chinese generator?

Somehow people survived and stayed sane!

They built houses on stilts, or on a foundation with no basement to flood.

And there were all the surplus kohler light plants for sale after WWII. They were 1500 watts and were built to last centuries.

I am in town so water service isn't an issue.

As much as I am impressed with Honda and Robin stuff, I don't have that kind of money to lay down. I would also like to get something made in the USA, if possible. I like to buy domestic whenever it's feasible, but I certainly don't rule out any other affordable, reliable options.

I think I will. Looking at the startup wattage of each device I want to power, I should probably get something in the 5000V range to ensure I have enough capacity- plus that would allow for some lighting to be used as well.

Ethangsmith:

First find out if the sump pump is 120 Volts AC or 240 Volts AC.

If the sump pump is 240 Volts AC then you will require a generator with a 240 Volt AC outlet.

Ethangsmith: Almost all homes have a heating system that requires electric.

What is your heating system? What voltage does it run on 120 Volts AC or 240 Volts AC? And what is the peak current it draws?

Ethangsmith: You have to keep a generator far from the house so the carbonmonoxide does not get into the house. And these generators are extremely noisy. Believe me, you will want it to be far from the house.

You will require an extension cord. Think 50 feet of 10 Gauge. 12 Gauge would be too lite for starting motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back