Need advice for waxing products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jagtuner28
What's wrong with tire shine? Does it mess up the tires somehow? By the way I run Goodyear F1 Asymetric F1 All-seasons.

I was wondering the same thing. I've been using various brands and types of tire shine for over 40 years and have never seen any damage they did. What do you mean tire shine does?

I think I read on Goodyear Aviation tires that you should not use anything with petroleum derivatives/distillates as they may do some harm. But these tires probably only see little sun and e only real wear is from accelerate 0-200 knots in a second or two, I guess. So maybe the rubber is of a different compound AND they seem to promote retreads. Seems crazy as airplanes are expensive and passengers' safety can depend on it, so maybe conventional thinking doesnt apply here.

Personally I think at least most tire shines are productive and will condition the rubber to work better and last longer all the while staying cleaner and looking better whilst doing so.

I also think it depends on the grade of rubber used. No name knock offs might dry rot, harden, etc while a high quality tire producer would not allow such an item to leave the factory. So maybe some tires respond better to certain dressings than others?

Originally Posted By: dooscoop32
I was wondering the same thing. I've been using various brands and types of tire shine for over 40 years and have never seen any damage they did. What do you mean tire shine does?

Wow, you joined this site 5.5 years ago and all your posts are from a few hours ago. HAPPY POSTING!
smile.gif

Some of the tire shines can brown the tires which makes them look worse than they did originally. The ones that contain silicone can do this and are usually the cheaper ones. It is rumored some can speed up dry rotting.

These are some good ones:

https://www.duragloss.com/Rubber-Tire-Dressings

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
If you have a Leaf Blower, use that to dry the car first.

OR, do like me.......

1) Silicone Squeegee the water off.

2) Leaf Blow the car with my Backpack Leaf Blower.

3) Remove the little bit of water left with a Microfiber towel.

thumbsup2.gif

While I do not doubt air drying to be a great idea, I think quik washes and machine ops should always blow dry the finish, I usually take a break after rinsing to rest and let some of the water evaporate drip down then wipe down with a towel or chamois.

Originally Posted By: razel
Lots of good info already covered. Since you plan on waxing often, don't fret too much about the type/brand of wax. It's more important to keep a single product of the same wax/sealant on there.

So if you're happy with NuFinish, then keep using it. I wouldn't use a different product until you use up the bottle. Mainly because in order to judge the new product you'll have to clean the paint of your old wax to best judge the new one.

By the way NuFinish is close enough to a sealant. It's a synthetic but they don't say that it crosslinks. I think it's close enough.

+1
You use NuFinish once a month? That's better than me. I have quite a bit of experience with NuFinish and it's some pretty good stuff. It's basically a sealant. Clay bar is a pain in the you know what, and only needs to be done about once a year. Don't worry I probably miss some spots too- that's perfectly normal. What may help is that after you clay bar, you wash the car again and then wax/seal. If you want to try Carnauba, you should be ok since you wax once a month and you live in relatively cool temps. Carnauba's enemy is the heat.

You can put a sealant down first, then next wash put carnauba wax on top to get the protection of the sealant and deep glow of the wax. Wax being the first layer of protection, you won't need to apply the sealant very often at all. Just after clay bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back