Need a smaller carry gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Glock 23 (.40 SW) as a carry gun. However, It's just too big for me to conceal. I'm 5-10, 185Lbs and usually like to wear loose clothing.

I have a belt loop holster as well as a Crossbreedholsters.com IWB holster.

The G23 just seems to be too big for me.
I obviously know about the Glocks quality, but how about Kahrs?

From what I've read, they are perhaps a bit better than "hit and miss" as far as quality. They are very nice guns, but I don't think they on par with a Glock as far as dead on reliability.

You may want to check out the S&W MP series and the new Walther PPS. The PPS is the same as the ultra compact MP series guns. TINY. Only 6 round mags though.

I owned a couple of K9s a few years ago and they were good pistols...one had a pin "walk" out and was sent back to Kahr and repaired without charge other than shipping to get it there, the other had no issues and both were accurate. They are a nice size but I eventually went to the Glock for all of the known benefits. I suggest the G26 9mm...or the G27 if you prefer the .40...the subcompact Glocks are much easier to conceal than there bigger brothers due to the shorter grip, which doesn't hamper control of the pistol at all for me, actually, due to the location of the hump, it locks into my palm real nice and is very easy to control.

As always, YMMV....

I've got a Glock 27 and an M&P 45 and I really like both of them a lot. The 27 is an excellent concealed carry gun, although I cannot do that since moving to this state.

I put the magazine extension on it and fits my hand like a glove. For a very small semi-auto in .40, go with the G27.

Last edited:
Between a revolver and an auto, I've always preferred autos.

The PPS looks like the brand new kid on the block as I can't even find one on Gunsamerica.

I'll have to go visit the local gun store and hold them in my hands and see how they feel.

Thanks for the help.

I have a Kahr MK9 Elite and love it. No problems. I also have one of the original K9s but it hasn't seen too many rounds. The plastic Kahrs had some problems early on but the new ones are supposed to be better.

I plan to buy more Kahr pistols in the future.

Check out the new Ruger LCP in .380. In the reviews I have read, this pocket sized gun did very well. It will be my next purchase. Very inexpensive as are most Ruger handguns.

I have 3 pistols that I rotate as my carry pistols. One is a .40, one is a 9 BUT my favorite is my .357 Smith model 360PD which is scandium and weighs 10oz empty. You don't know you're carrying it plus it's a pretty stout round the .357.

So - try a revolver. I do find myself interested in those new compact Kahrs.

.380 is a little too small a caliber for me to feel comfortable with, but then again, it's better than not HAVING a gun.

I'll check that out as well - cheap is always good.
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Check out the new Ruger LCP in .380. In the reviews I have read, this pocket sized gun did very well. It will be my next purchase. Very inexpensive as are most Ruger handguns.

A +P 85 grain .380 in the hands of a skilled shooter will ruin an attacker's day. The +P defensive rounds nowadays have made .380 more formidable than it once was.

That being said, my G27 would be my primary CCW while the LCP (a pocket gun) might be on my ankle, etc. Just a theory as I cannot carry concealed because our governor here will not approve that.

The LCP, by the way, can be found for 350 bucks, with future sales coming it will be found for a little over 300 at some point.

Last edited:
Wow, $350? Now I'm really going to pay attention to the Ruger.
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
A +P 85 grain .380 in the hands of a skilled shooter will ruin an attacker's day. The +P defensive rounds nowadays have made .380 more formidable than it once was.

That being said, my G27 would be my primary CCW while the LCP (a pocket gun) might be on my ankle, etc. Just a theory as I cannot carry concealed because our governor here will not approve that.

The LCP, by the way, can be found for 350 bucks, with future sales coming it will be found for a little over 300 at some point.

That Ruger LCP looks like a winner to me. How'd they make it so light!? Me wants one!

A .380 in my pocket loaded with +P JHP's beats the 9MM in my glove box every single time!

I really like my CZ RAMI 9mm. Light, small, easy to conceal and reliable. Paid about 325 brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back