Motor Trend rips 2020 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6

I don't see how you getting lawfully detained on the back of a police car makes that type of car junk...

I wasn't "lawfully detained" as the deputy had NO rAs or PC to do such a thing at all, a completely illegal act. We have a lot of problems with law enforcement here
violating the law and violating citizens rights. I can tell you that as a 100% clean citizen with no record, no charges, no tickets, no complaints on my record ever
that I was in fear for my life that day because I knew that he was breaking the law with his actions. Rogue cop.
Oh if you want to discuss this further PM me, don't want to take this off topic, thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood
Well for one, CX5 and WRX have a lot more in common than a Mustang and an Exploder. WRX is just a fast Impreza, so you're still cross-shopping a CUV against a sedan.

That said, certainly it happens sometimes, but for many it's flat out not an option due to their practical needs. And even when it does I think the coolness factor is disregarded in the cases when the buyer goes for the SUV.

How about a Crosstrek is an Impreza 5-door hatchback, identical to the Impreza except the body is raised another 3-1/2"? And Crosstrek adds some plastic cladding on the fenders. And Crosstrek weighs 130 pounds more than the Impreza hatchback using the identical engine and transmission, so it is slower and uses more gas than Impreza hatchback. Interior dimensions are the same, including headroom.

I don't think I've ever seen so many people complaining about the cars that other people buy with their own money.

You want a vette? Buy a vette. You want a Chevy astro? Buy a chevy astro. If there wasn't a market for the cars then they wouldn't exist in the numbers they do now. Capitalism, it works.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by SeaJay

Thinking SUVs and CUVs are cool is akin to those who think a '95 Caprice Classic with 24" tires and wheels and a loud, booming stereo system is cool...

Look at the statistics, they are one of the bigger vehicle segments being sold today. Millions of buyers do in fact think that.

That just shows how screwed up buyer's taste is these days...to me something "cool" would be a Corvette, a Mustang, or something like that...CUVs and SUVs are nothing more than a smaller, less practical minivan...

Oh my god I actually agree with grampi on something.

S/CUVs are not cross-shopped against sports cars. Apparently people think they're cooler, better, or at least more practical for their needs than sedans or station wagons.

He wasn't saying that people cross-shop SUVs and sports cars. What he's saying is, sports cars are cool cars. Family cars, whether they're minivans or SUVs, are not cool. SUVs are not cooler than minivans, in his opinion (and I agree with him). So, by buying an SUV, you're getting something that's just as lame as a minivan but it's LESS practical than a minivan. So what's the point of it? This is exactly why I bought my Sienna. Sure, I would prefer a "cool" car like a Mustang, but that wasn't gonna fit my needs. I needed a practical, lame, boring family car that can easily carry 3 kids around. Minivan, SUV, whatever I bought wasn't gonna be cool. So I figured I might as well go all-out on the practicality aspect and buy the most practical vehicle possible. And I bought a minivan and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Originally Posted by exranger06
He wasn't saying that people cross-shop SUVs and sports cars. What he's saying is, sports cars are cool cars. Family cars, whether they're minivans or SUVs, are not cool. SUVs are not cooler than minivans, in his opinion (and I agree with him). So, by buying an SUV, you're getting something that's just as lame as a minivan but it's LESS practical than a minivan. So what's the point of it? This is exactly why I bought my Sienna. Sure, I would prefer a "cool" car like a Mustang, but that wasn't gonna fit my needs. I needed a practical, lame, boring family car that can easily carry 3 kids around. Minivan, SUV, whatever I bought wasn't gonna be cool. So I figured I might as well go all-out on the practicality aspect and buy the most practical vehicle possible. And I bought a minivan and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Surely there are degrees of coolness. I actually like minvans and don't particularly like SUVs but it's not hard to see why someone would think an SUV is less uncool than a minivan especially when you consider how they're styled and optioned and marketed.

Originally Posted by supton
That just shows how screwed up buyer's taste is these days...to me something "cool" would be a Corvette, a Mustang, or something like that...CUVs and SUVs are nothing more than a smaller, less practical minivan...

No, that's your opinion and that's all it is. [/quote]
Indeed. I can see the coolness in a 2 door sports car, but at this time of year it's useless to me, not enough ground clearance even on a good day to drive on some of the roads up here (we'll even ignore dirt roads). Toss in practicality issues and ... way not cool for a family guy.[/quote]

This is the perfect example of practical...

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Thinking SUVs and CUVs are cool is akin to those who think a '95 Caprice Classic with 24" tires and wheels and a loud, booming stereo system is cool...

Unfortunately the general public in the USA is very gullible when it comes to matters like this. The truth is that the profit margin is sky high on CUV/SUV and PU
and this is why the mfrs push them to no end with constant advertising and clever social media. Lemmings then line up in droves being led by the nose.
crackmeup2.gif

You keep saying things like this and you too will be accused of having better taste than millions of others....

Look at the statistics, they are one of the bigger vehicle segments being sold today. Millions of buyers do in fact think that.

S/CUVs are not cross-shopped against sports cars. Apparently people think they're cooler, better, or at least more practical for their needs than sedans or station wagons.

It's amazing how many actually think they're cooler...downright puzzling...

Oh my god I actually agree with grampi on something.

You must be one of the few in this discussion who doesn't own an SUV...you get it...here I am ragging on SUVs, and my wife and I are probably going to trade our Sienna in for one...it's just the two of us now and the Sienna is way more vehicle than we need, so an SUV is the logical choice...but we aren't getting one because they're cool, I'm getting a Vette for that...

Surely there are degrees of coolness. I actually like minvans and don't particularly like SUVs but it's not hard to see why someone would think an SUV is less uncool than a minivan especially when you consider how they're styled and optioned and marketed.

People who buy things to impress others...meh.

"Is this a cool car?" "Does this make me look baller?" "Are you impressed with me and how I spend my money?"

Of course, as a German, I'd buy whatever if it fit the mission statement. Form follows function. I remember trading a 1995 trans am for a 1988 gt once. I had different plans, even if everyone though the trans am was "cooler". Screw that. My money. My desires.

You must be one of the few in this discussion who doesn't own an SUV...you get it...here I am ragging on SUVs, and my wife and I are probably going to trade our Sienna in for one...it's just the two of us now and the Sienna is way more vehicle than we need, so an SUV is the logical choice...but we aren't getting one because they're cool, I'm getting a Vette for that...

I think his wife has an Escalade, and his mom has a very cool Explorer Sport...a real one.

SUV isn't a bad thing, it's just a broad brush now.

Originally Posted by Ws6
CaptainHazelwood said:

"Is this a cool car?" "Does this make me look baller?" "Are you impressed with me and how I spend my money?"

Of course, as a German, I'd buy whatever if it fit the mission statement. Form follows function. I remember trading a 1995 trans am for a 1988 gt once. I had different plans, even if everyone though the trans am was "cooler". Screw that. My money. My desires.

We're kinda getting carried away with the word and concept of "cool" here. Choosing an SUV is pretty much just de riguer these days, and who can fault someone for not wanting a minivan? The guy who started this line of conversation is actually moving on from a minivan to an SUV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
CaptainHazelwood said:

We're kinda getting carried away with the word and concept of "cool" here. Choosing an SUV is pretty much just de riguer these days, and who can fault someone for not wanting a minivan? The guy who started this line of conversation is actually moving on from a minivan to an SUV.

I am unaware of any minivans that do what I wanted. It's a different class of vehicle.

I have no idea what your personal needs are. I'm speaking on the assertion that people who buy SUVs rather than a car of minivan is doing it to impress others.

People who buy anything to impress others need to reexamine things, imo

Welp, I stopped reading at pg 8 in this thread, so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned. But someone commented that they would not buy the new explorer because it's becoming common to law enforcement in the special service package trim. I submit that a lot of buyers actually like that aspect, and it makes them feel tough and cool on the road. They probably aren't tough and cool, but it makes them feel that way.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Welp, I stopped reading at pg 8 in this thread, so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned. But someone commented that they would not buy the new explorer because it's becoming common to law enforcement in the special service package trim. I submit that a lot of buyers actually like that aspect, and it makes them feel tough and cool on the road. They probably aren't tough and cool, but it makes them feel that way.

Being able to pull up behind a left lane hog and having them move out of the way is a powerful and wonderful feeling.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Being able to pull up behind a left lane hog and having them move out of the way is a powerful and wonderful feeling.

So you can continue speeding?

So you can continue speeding?

35.gif
I remember how this discussion went the last time.

I used to hit people with the dopplar when I saw them fly by and noted a detector on the dash. Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back