Motor Trend rips 2020 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I'm not a big fan of the new Explorer, but not much in that segment is really exciting. The thing that gets me with most of these SUVs now is that... what people really need/want are minivans with AWD for snow/poor weather. Most SUVs have already started morphing into minivans slowly. See current Honda Pilot compared to the previous gen. No doubt the new one is more aerodynamic, but in doing so loses all the bulky strong styling. I also think most new cars... and SUVs... are just containers for tech you're paying for that will be oudated in a year. This isn't just one brands issue.

Still, it sounds like from that article all things considered the Pilot would be the way to go when comparing those two. Of course, the Pilot had some transmission issues a few years back now too...

That is why I got Toyota Sienna AWD. No one wants now minivan. Everyone thinks SUV's are cool (not understand what is at all cool about Highlander or Pilot). They are much smaller, drive horrible same like minivans, but with much less space. Why not getting then minivan?
When I was looking for family hauler in 2018, 2015 Highlander with some 30-40,000 miles and Limited package was going for some 35k. Limited Sienna, same year, mileage, AWD, same engine, suspension, platform in general, was going between 27-30k. Found one for 28.5k. I will never understand why buying these SUV's if family hauling is top priority.

It's the image a minivan conveys. Also, minivans are typically a nightmare to work on, from what I hear (I've never owned one, so I'm going by what I've heard).

I fail to see how an SUV conveys a better image...

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Last I looked, a vehicle that passes for a SUV or CUV is cool and trendy among the majority of buyers, though perhaps not for the members of our posting community. And last I looked, any vehicle that passes for a minivan is a vehicle that the majority of buyers want nothing to do with.

I don't doubt that for many people, a minivan would better suit their real needs. If it takes repackaging something close to a minivan into something that passes for a cool and trendy SUV or CUV to enhance sales, well then that is a good thing for the vehicle manufacturers.

Thinking SUVs and CUVs are cool is akin to those who think a '95 Caprice Classic with 24" tires and wheels and a loud, booming stereo system is cool...

Originally Posted by grampi
Last I looked, a vehicle that passes for a SUV or CUV is cool and trendy among the majority of buyers, though perhaps not for the members of our posting community. And last I looked, any vehicle that passes for a minivan is a vehicle that the majority of buyers want nothing to do with.

I don't doubt that for many people, a minivan would better suit their real needs. If it takes repackaging something close to a minivan into something that passes for a cool and trendy SUV or CUV to enhance sales, well then that is a good thing for the vehicle manufacturers.

Thinking SUVs and CUVs are cool is akin to those who think a '95 Caprice Classic with 24" tires and wheels and a loud, booming stereo system is cool...

SUV's are typically viewed as more "trendy" than minivans, but that aside, they are in many ways the "ultimate compromise", as, when properly equipped, they are able to do basically everything, but not as well as vehicles specifically designed for those purposes. They are a bit like a Swiss Army Knife in that respect. For example, you can have a 3-row SUV that seats 7 or 8, but will have less room in the back and get worse fuel economy than a van. BUT, it will have a higher towing capacity and can be equipped with AWD, while also having more ground clearance. They are also typically more "sporty" than a van and more fun to drive.

That all said, I know guys that absolutely love driving vans, so it is really an individual thing.

OVERKILL's post is spot on. My 05 Pilot was fun to drive, versatile, awesome for vacations and yard sale furniture, and got poor gas mileage.

It was panned by afficianados for not being frame-over and thus not a "real SUV". Now compare it to the new Pilot, and it looks like an offroad beast sitting next to a minivan.

I'm seeing the new model Expedition more often than the new Explorer …
in fact I'm seeing them all over town.

Originally Posted by 4WD

That's what I'm noticing here in my area as well. I see Expedition after Expedition, yet I can't recall seeing a new Explorer on the road at all.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Originally Posted by 4WD

That's what I'm noticing here in my area as well. I see Expedition after Expedition, yet I can't recall seeing a new Explorer on the road at all.

Seems Motor Trend liked it better too

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/expedition/2018/ford-expedition-2019-suv-of-the-year-finalist/
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/tahoe/2021/2021-chevrolet-tahoe-first-look/

Look at the statistics, they are one of the bigger vehicle segments being sold today. Millions of buyers do in fact think that.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Originally Posted by 4WD

In the Bay Area, the Expy is popular with the rental companies as well as UberBlack drivers. The limo companies seem to prefer the Navigator for town car use instead of the Escalade.

I haven't seen the new Explorer in cop car form - the CHP would be the first adopter of them usually.

Look at the statistics, they are one of the bigger vehicle segments being sold today. Millions of buyers do in fact think that.

That just shows how screwed up buyer's taste is these days...to me something "cool" would be a Corvette, a Mustang, or something like that...CUVs and SUVs are nothing more than a smaller, less practical minivan...

Last edited:

That just shows how screwed up buyer's taste is these days...to me something "cool" would be a Corvette, a Mustang, or something like that...CUVs and SUVs are nothing more than a smaller, less practical minivan...

No, that's your opinion and that's all it is.

Originally Posted by PimTac

No, that's your opinion and that's all it is.

Indeed. I can see the coolness in a 2 door sports car, but at this time of year it's useless to me, not enough ground clearance even on a good day to drive on some of the roads up here (we'll even ignore dirt roads). Toss in practicality issues and ... way not cool for a family guy.

I'm not sure these vehicles sell because buyers think they are cool, I think they buy on the basis of them meeting their perceived needs. Real or otherwise.

I drove corvette, 370z, trans am, etc. Because I appreciated their performance. Now I have an SUV that's a touch slower than my Lt1 trans am (notably slower than my ls1 sadly, lol!), and like you say, awd and ground clearance and Japanese reliability and 26.4mpg lifetime average and room for my dog and...yah, that's pretty cool. The 296hp awd sienna is significantly slower than my cx5 turbo (0-60 in 7 vs low 6s, quarter mile is similarly a second or so off, braking is worse, and mpg is something like 5mpg worse across the board. How is that even competition for what I have? Sure it can haul more, but so can a used panel van. I dont need to haul more.

Yes, millions of people have bad taste. You're the only one who knows what's up.

That said, I don't want some slow, overweight, gas guzzling vehicle, when i can have a much faster, more gas frugal vehicle that meets my needs just as well and is more fun and economical in the process.

Unfortunately the general public in the USA is very gullible when it comes to matters like this. The truth is that the profit margin is sky high on CUV/SUV and PU
and this is why the mfrs push them to no end with constant advertising and clever social media. Lemmings then line up in droves being led by the nose.
crackmeup2.gif

What SG says early on makes sense because these silly things are the automatic go to for any law enforcement types, so Ford knows they already have large volume sales for police fleet cars, all the more reason why I would never buy one of these pieces of junk. I can't stop thinking about the bars you always see on the rear window frames.

Why do I say this? I was actually sitting in the back of one of these with cuffs on, but didn't do anything to deserve it and broke no laws. I don't think the mods will let me
elaborate though.
28.gif

Last edited:

S/CUVs are not cross-shopped against sports cars. Apparently people think they're cooler, better, or at least more practical for their needs than sedans or station wagons.

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood

S/CUVs are not cross-shopped against sports cars. Apparently people think they're cooler, better, or at least more practical for their needs than sedans or station wagons.

I actually cross shopped my CX5 vs a WRX.

Ended up with the CX5. Traded ground clearance and a much more refined interior experience for handling. Acceleration was pretty much a wash unless you plan on doing redline clutch drops on the WRX, in which case it will do a tad better than the CX5, but I'm not a fan of leveling that kind of abuse on a vehicle.

Then again, the WRX isn't really a sports car, although many people consider it one, which is why I mention it, but yes, I directly cross-shopped them.

Well for one, CX5 and WRX have a lot more in common than a Mustang and an Exploder. WRX is just a fast Impreza, so you're still cross-shopping a CUV against a sedan.

That said, certainly it happens sometimes, but for many it's flat out not an option due to their practical needs. And even when it does I think the coolness factor is disregarded in the cases when the buyer goes for the SUV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD

Unfortunately the general public in the USA is very gullible when it comes to matters like this. The truth is that the profit margin is sky high on CUV/SUV and PU
and this is why the mfrs push them to no end with constant advertising and clever social media. Lemmings then line up in droves being led by the nose.
crackmeup2.gif

What SG says early on makes sense because these silly things are the automatic go to for any law enforcement types, so Ford knows they already have large volume sales for police fleet cars, all the more reason why I would never buy one of these pieces of junk. I can't stop thinking about the bars you always see on the rear window frames.

Why do I say this? I was actually sitting in the back of one of these with cuffs on, but didn't do anything to deserve it and broke no laws. I don't think the mods will let me
elaborate though.
28.gif

I don't see how you getting lawfully detained on the back of a police car makes that type of car junk...

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood
Well for one, CX5 and WRX have a lot more in common than a Mustang and an Exploder. WRX is just a fast Impreza, so you're still cross-shopping a CUV against a sedan.

That said, certainly it happens sometimes, but for many it's flat out not an option due to their practical needs. And even when it does I think the coolness factor is disregarded in the cases when the buyer goes for the SUV.

Right, but consider...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ectric-suv-specs-price-la-auto-show-2019

Now, suburban class vehicles? Maybe not so much, but I think the cross shop is a lot stronger than you feel, within the 2 row SUV segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back