More V4 vs V6

I like the idea of a turbo I-6. I'm very interested in what the early adopters of it think and the problems if any they're finding in the current Stellantis vehicles using it. I'm especially interested in hearing about it in the 2025 RAM, when they start populating the roads, and when it will find its way into the Wrangler. IMO an I-6 is a very reliable engine design and it should do well with the turbo.
Buy a bimmer with the B58 engine.

Man if GM does away with them for 2026 I’d literally rush out to get a 2025. But I hope they don’t do that so I have more time…

A number of months ago (last year?) GM announced they were investing in the next gen v8's for use in large suvs and light duty trucks. Haven't heard anything yet that says they've back away from it.

The V6 has always been a flawed design in that it lacks primary and secondary balance. But somehow it became known as "premium" to 4 bangers. It's funny to sit back and see we have zero control over any of this. If you go back far enough like with my dad's first car, it had all of the engines available. V6, I6, V8 (60's Skylark). And he told me when I was literally 4 years old, he made the worst choice possible, he got the 225 V6, when he should have gotten the 250 I6 (I was given a Poncho with this motor, smooth as silk at 21 years old). Why? Vibration he said, lacks balance. Whereas a inline 6 inherently has it.

Inline 4 lacks balance as well yet it goes into a C63S AMG for 2024. Again, laughable that the car it replaces had a V8.

When I look at my own purchases through the years, I've never had a 4 cyl car, other than the Volvo B20 which was my first car. I'd like to keep it that way lol

A properly designed from the ground up V6 uses a 60° bank angle, and is much smoother than the 90° bank angle V6's.

I had a V65 Sabre in that era. Lots of cam problems with the V4's back then due to Honda's poor initial design.
As a kid I knew someone from a motorcycle club in the Bronx who had the V65 Magna. I would have had no idea back then but I don’t think they were 1%’ers. He showed me his Rikers inmate identification card though, washed dishes in my Dominos store.

The V6 has always been a flawed design in that it lacks primary and secondary balance. But somehow it became known as "premium" to 4 bangers. It's funny to sit back and see we have zero control over any of this. If you go back far enough like with my dad's first car, it had all of the engines available. V6, I6, V8 (60's Skylark). And he told me when I was literally 4 years old, he made the worst choice possible, he got the 225 V6, when he should have gotten the 250 I6 (I was given a Poncho with this motor, smooth as silk at 21 years old). Why? Vibration he said, lacks balance. Whereas a inline 6 inherently has it.

Inline 4 lacks balance as well yet it goes into a C63S AMG for 2024. Again, laughable that the car it replaces had a V8.

When I look at my own purchases through the years, I've never had a 4 cyl car, other than the Volvo B20 which was my first car. I'd like to keep it that way lol

V6 can be shoehorned into FWD platform. Packaging is about the only advantage other than perhaps sharing development cost with a V8.

The engine is no more than the power producing unit for any ICE vehicle.
Very few of us use anything approaching maximum power output for more than very brief periods of time.
The advantage of a small turbocharged engine in a pickup is that it can offer great low-end torque while also providing good fuel economy in typical use.
Best of both worlds.
You can buy some very efficient three cylinder turbo CUVs that have adequate power along with really good fuel economy. We rented such a thing a couple of years back, a Trailblazer, and it was a roomy and comfortable machine that delivered 36 mpg on two tanks of fuel in the week that we had it.
There is no free lunch, but small displacement turbo engines come pretty close.
Reliability and durability are entirely a matter of how well the manufacturer did their job in designing and assembling any given type of engine.

I'd like to see the end of transverse engines and transaxles, back to good ole hotchkiss drive, that is easy to work on.

Owning both a turbo 4 and an NA V6, I enjoy them both for different reasons. Turbo of course for low end torque, but it can't touch the 6 for smooth, linear power delivery. As far as transverse 6s go, yes I know the rear bank can be hard to get to but the way people pitch it as such a negative around here you would think the intake manifold needs to come off with every oil change. Literally plugs at 100k, at the earliest, and no other reason that I've ever had to endure the "woes" of a transverse engine.

Owning both a turbo 4 and an NA V6, I enjoy them both for different reasons. Turbo of course for low end torque, but it can't touch the 6 for smooth, linear power delivery.
I owned a TDi years ago. Not bad... until I blew the turbo. So I put in a bigger turbo... and boy did I love it! It surprised me a few times, as it was a dog off the line, but once the rpms climbed a bit, it'd chirp the tires, the torque would hit that hard. :) Still brings a smile to my face after all this time.

There's a place for them all...

The irony? after the turbo blew, i wasn't sure what the issue was (it's a VW, limp mode happens) and I found that I was still leaving people in the dust, leaving the toll booth, despite being down to maybe all of 50hp. Most people don't know what the pedal on the right is for. Ok I wouldn't want to merge onto a highway that way, but still. Turbo gasser would probably beat that car, but mine could win a run between fuel stations.

A V6 can be harder to service - if the I4 had been out longer - would have preferred it in my Rubicon (torque) but coming up on 4 years the V6 has been trouble free. Also with 4:1, 4.10, and an 8 speed - a Briggs V2 would work in 4Lo 😷
Don't ya love that it takes exactly 5 qts for the oil change? I love changing oil in the wife's Galdiator Rubicon - crawl under and drain - pull filter out the top and add the whole 5qt jug and its spot on - no left over oil in the jug or need to open another lol

Back in the day I was a strict "no substitute for cubic inches" guy as in only big V8's. Well that all changed in 1987 with the purchase of my Buick Grand National with the little turbo V6. Still got that car too. I'm still not fully sold on small turbo 4cyl engines in full size trucks though.

Back in the day I was a strict "no substitute for cubic inches" guy as in only big V8's. Well that all changed in 1987 with the purchase of my Buick Grand National with the little turbo V6. Still got that car too. I'm still not fully sold on small turbo 4cyl engines in full size trucks though.
They over-complicated small turbo engines, that's the problem. Once you add variable geometry to a turbocharger, and build it cheaply, it's guaranteed to have a short life. The VNT will burn out way ahead of the shaft bearings ever failing, even if you run the cheapest oil you can find in that engine.

Those who rave about their 4 cyl. engines, and their V6's, try a flavor of I6 and V8. Heck V12 if you can afford it, I can't. Oh s*** did I just admit I can't afford the best?
Compare, and contrast. It's simply not realistic that you would say, gosh I miss my 4 cyl. and my v6, this is crazy, I wish I could go back. Why can't people admit, hey, I don't have the best possible and it's ok. I'm not any less of a man. I can discuss things where I am not the best nor possess the best. I don't want to go out of my way to get the more expensive application, and I actually am happy the way things are. We don't always have what we want, I don't, and ain't too proud to admit it.

It seems like many folks have a need to say what they have is the best and everything else is no better lol

I know one guy and his entire family: If you don't drive a Honda CR-V you are simply an outsider to the best car ever made. No offense but I'm ok being second best, you can have first place

Back