Mopar OAT Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Good thing is NO other type of coolant will be added to it.

That could be a major cause of problems in some of the reported cases.

Amazon has it.
Genuine Mopar Fluid 68048953AB Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon Bottle
$29.65 With prime (free shipping).

I may get a gallon, just to have on hand.

Wayne

I have a Question on this Coolant!

Dealer is asking $68 a gallon!

Do any of you coolant experts know who makes this coolant for Mopar?

If this is the current OAT product, it's the same as FIAT and ALFA use in Europe: Paraflu UP manufactured by Petronas Lubricants International (PLI).

It's a a silicate-free OAT like BASF's Glysantin G-30 used by Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Seat, Škoda, and VW.

BASF’s G30, G33, and G34 are substantially the same except for the dye color – G30 being a purple dye, G33 a greenish blue, and G34 orange.

DexCool here in the US is the same basic stuff.

-

Rob: I think this new Mopar coolant is a bit different then the USA Dexcool.

This Coolant has NO 2 EHA------>"Although 2-EHA is not in the Chrysler or Fiat formulas, silicone sealing materials aren’t used either, said Chrysler’s Tom Lawrence"

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

I was not going to mix any other coolant with this Mopar Coolant! After reading this article.

I went ahead and ordered a Gal from Amazon.

After reading alot of coolant threads in a few Ran Forums! It seem the dealers are ignorant to this chemical change. There has been quite a few issues after visiting the dealership for service and after words have cooling issues do to the wrong coolant being added for top off.

I trust No one with my investment. Research just takes time.

Rob: I think this new Mopar coolant is a bit different then the USA Dexcool.

This Coolant has NO 2 EHA------>"Although 2-EHA is not in the Chrysler or Fiat formulas, silicone sealing materials aren’t used either, said Chrysler’s Tom Lawrence"

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

I was not going to mix any other coolant with this Mopar Coolant! After reading this article.

I went ahead and ordered a Gal from Amazon.

After reading alot of coolant threads in a few Ran Forums! It seem the dealers are ignorant to this chemical change. There has been quite a few issues after visiting the dealership for service and after words have cooling issues do to the wrong coolant being added for top off.

I trust No one with my investment. Research just takes time.

Smart move not trusting anyone with your investment. After reading the Jeep Forums and the problems they're having with this coolant the only person I'd trust is myself. One of the problems I see is when the vehicle goes through the PDI before it is delivered. If they screw up and toss HOAT in with OAT, or vice versa, you will have problems. A few of guys are bringing their new vehicles home, and doing a complete flush and refill to prevent problems if the coolants were mixed together in error. Many have reported problems with plugged or partially plugged heater cores and the end result is a radiator replacement, heater core replacement, and oil cooler replacement. That leads to a lot of headaches, and aggravation to go along with it. Warranty or not who wants that hassle?

Oh yea lets not forget the casting sand issues in the cooling system some have experienced either.

Dexcool is similar to Mopar OAT in that it is an OAT coolant. However as noted in the link, it is dissimilar to Mopar OAT in that it uses 2eha as a main inhibitor. All the Asian P-Hoats and many Euro AF's also avoid 2eha. So, imo that's a significant difference.

It also one of the reasons Peak Global Lifetime is respected here, it is a long life/extended life OAT with all their characteristics, but it too has no 2eha.

The linked sae article has been much posted here and does a good job of explaining differences in current coolant chemistry.

I looked into Peak Global Lifetime first! I think it is the closest Clone to the Mopar Coolant.

IF I ever have a Coolant or Radiator Issues- I just might do a complete flush and go with Peak Global Lifetime. It is pretty easy to find around here.

I agree also with the 2 EHA! I really don't care for it. And will avoid it if possible.

Though with the long warranty I have! I best stick with the Mopar Coolant.

Hopefully within a few years the Mopar Coolant will decrease in price. Even though I should not need any for quite some time with a full coolant system and an extra gallon.

No service for 10years/150K miles. Fingers Crossed!

Though with the long warranty I have! I best stick with the Mopar Coolant.

Hopefully within a few years the Mopar Coolant will decrease in price. Even though I should not need any for quite some time with a full coolant system and an extra gallon.

No service for 10years/150K miles. Fingers Crossed!

The guys on the Jeep boards that are doing the preemptive flush are using Chrysler coolant. What they're trying to eliminate is the casting sand issue, and/or the possibility of the dealer mixing OAT and HOAT coolant by mistake.

A well that's nice to know! More Sand issues.

Had that same issue with my 7.3L PSD-->Had to install a coolant filter and solved the issue.

Well this is something else to think about.

A well that's nice to know! More Sand issues.

Had that same issue with my 7.3L PSD-->Had to install a coolant filter and solved the issue.

Well this is something else to think about.

Good idea on the coolant filter for the PSD. The PSD has a pressurized recovery tank [I think] so it makes installing a coolant filter pretty easy and doesn't require cutting a hose going into the heater core. Either way I would flush and refill the cooling system to be safe. Chrysler warranty requires the OAT coolant so Peak Global might open a can of worms. The Chrysler coolant won't.

Demarpaint: I agree

As long as I am under warranty there will be nothing but Mopar Coolant in the system.

Thanks again for your advise.

Hello, This issue was settled months ago so I don't think I'm hijacking it.

Re a 2001 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V-6: What coolant would you use in it?

OBVIOUSLY I'm going to rinse it until clear and use a chemical flush if necessary.

Thanks, Kira

I asked the dude at the local NAPA what to run in my Chrysler product, and he hooked me up with Prestone G-5. It's orange colored. FWIW I did a drain/flush and will do that every 3 years because I too am particular about maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, This issue was settled months ago so I don't think I'm hijacking it.

Re a 2001 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V-6: What coolant would you use in it?

OBVIOUSLY I'm going to rinse it until clear and use a chemical flush if necessary.

Thanks, Kira

g-05 is what i would use.

Finally Peak Global Lifetime has printed the Chrysler Spec MS 12106 on their new jugs. This coolant can be a replacement or top fill for the VERY Expensive purple coolant.

I knew it was the same chemistry as the purple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back