Dexcool substitute. Dexcool formula?

Im getting a headache of finding Dexcool here in Sweden and its time to change coolant soon. Tryed to search for the Dexcool formula but getting different ansvers of what type it is. I belive its a silicate free OAT but also find that its a HOAT ?
I got a recomendation on Q8 longlife coolant that i find out is a SI-OAT type G12++ that is easy to get here at resonable price
Another one saying that the G12+ is the same formula like Dexcool and fully mixable.
I want to fing a coolant that is mixable with Dexcool so i dont need to flush with pure water if not absolutly necessary and then get a lower coolant ratio during to water beein left in the cooling system.

If you have a Catapillar dealer they also use Dexcool in their equipment, just may be a little more expensive due to Cats name on the jug. Ram and Jeep now also use the same antifreeze as Dexcool, but you will pay more for their antifreeze.

If you have a GM/Chevrolet dealerships in your area, they should sell Dexcool
No GM dealership in Sweden since a long time now. SAAB/GM dealership was the last one that i can remember but all of them are gone.
Some import companys have Dexcool to really high price and then it will be by shipping so i would like to find a substitute that are easy to find if possible.

If you have a Catapillar dealer they also use Dexcool in their equipment, just may be a little more expensive due to Cats name on the jug. Ram and Jeep now also use the same antifreeze as Dexcool, but you will pay more for their antifreeze.
Cat is a way but still a good substitute that are easy to get would be better.

Doesn't CAT use ELC?

I've switched all my stuff to ELC. Much easier to stock 1 antifreeze.

G34 is to the same gm spec as havoline/texaco xlc aka dexcool. g30 can be used in its place, notice they recommend g30 for ford vehicles.

basf did not supply g34 to ford, they imported xlc for their vehicles

Last edited:
I thing this one will be OK when it has the GM 6227M spec
Easy to find in stores close to me
Q8 Yellow Coolant
OAT
• Mercedes 325.3• GM 6277M• MAN 324 Typ SNF• Volkswagen TL 774F• Ford WSS-M97B44-D

Back