moly compatibility with sensors???

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I wasn't sure if I should post this in the gear oil section or oil additive section)

Is moly disulphide (MOS2) powder compatible with electronic sensors in electronic transfer cases, and front and rear differentials? I read that MOS2 is considered a semi conductor, and is sometimes used in the manufacture of electronic components. I want to make sure that the moly powder doesn't effect the sensors, or short something out.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

(I wasn't sure if I should post this in the gear oil section or oil additive section)

Is moly disulphide (MOS2) powder compatible with electronic sensors in electronic transfer cases, and front and rear differentials? I read that MOS2 is considered a semi conductor, and is sometimes used in the manufacture of electronic components. I want to make sure that the moly powder doesn't effect the sensors, or short something out.

Very good question I have wondered that myself, all of these sort of Hall effect signal electronic sensors work off the magnetic field created by the reluctor wheel, speed sensors , abs sensors, all that stuff,

and yep to much moly in or around the sensor, reluctor wheel maybee,,

Good question, now yes most of the speed sensors would be in the oil bath T/c and diffs, but there are applications where the reluctor wheel is in a grease,,,

And along this same lines Would you want to use a "Moly" oil on say a Motorcycle with a wet clutch?

But as far as it sending the electrical hall effect signal out of whack,, maybee in theory its possible, but again most greases, oils have a very small amount of moly in them,,,

Good ? thou I will await other responses,,, with great interest to see what the collective expertise of "Bob" has to say,,,

So

Okay

I pondered this a tad more and I think with the small % of moly in most greases it wouldnt have a effect on the Hall effect,

Reason I say this is because it isnt the reluctor wheel that produces the electromagnetic field its the sensor,

and when repairing transmissions with hard part failure a large amount of metal fragments can collect on these sensors and they still work,

Plain old magnetic/
pulse/ reluctor sensors don't get bothered by thick moly fortified grease. Landcruiser had a speed sensor in the knuckle housing, reading a reluctor wheel off of the birfield, which resides in the grease with moly.
Hall effect is another story, and I can't say for 100% either way, but as a guess, I'd say there isn't enough magnetism involved with anything you're going to put in gear oil that's going to matter.

I am NOT a magnetorheologist (sp) however.
lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rix
Plain old magnetic/
pulse/ reluctor sensors don't get bothered by thick moly fortified grease. Landcruiser had a speed sensor in the knuckle housing, reading a reluctor wheel off of the birfield, which resides in the grease with moly.
Hall effect is another story, and I can't say for 100% either way, but as a guess, I'd say there isn't enough magnetism involved with anything you're going to put in gear oil that's going to matter.

I am NOT a magnetorheologist (sp) however.
lol

Well that is quite apparent, not another story, same story, all of these types of sensors work off of the "Hall Effect"
even your Birf ABS sensors Rixxer,,,

Since Moly is just a smoke screen in the Toyota FSM I wondered if the Toyota Factory knuckle lube had any "Moly " in it at all,
It may not !
And wondered if I should test my product with a axle with abs so as to confirm no problem with this ABS sensor,as the Original poster points out,

Hall effect is not the same as a "normal" reluctor wheel.
They use aspects of the same principal, but are not the same.

I've asked you twice now to not address me anymore, frank.
This is the third.
I'm very tired of you.
I'm very tired of you trying to spin everything that has anything to do with grease into your conspiracy.

Last edited:

This is the third.
I'm very tired of you.
I'm very tired of you trying to spin everything that has anything to do with grease into your conspiracy.

Dude, I dont care how many times you ask me to stop addressing you,

I will, I know you tired of me but dont care
You will be addressed because you spread mis information, MUSH

I was on topic about this "Moly" interferance till you started Talking Toyota,

You brought it up, And this is where I pondered if it would make any difference, with the moly,

Hall effect Rix, they all work of off the hall effect,

How is it not the same ? splain yourself,

use aspects of the same principal But not the same ?????????

Dude your double talking Toyota [censored] aint gonna fly here,

You have been addressed, deal with it,

This is the third.
I'm very tired of you.

"They use aspects of the same principal, but are not the same."

What are they then Rix? is there a Rixatus effect??

Dude what did they teach you at Toyota school?????

Read this and educate yourself ,,, I cant do it you need to do it for yourself,

Lord knows I tried,,,

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/hall-effect.html

But I cant even get you to understand simple grease concepts,

Good luck,!!!

I used a landcruiiser as an example, directly pertaining to the question asked.

As far as the hall effect, you are wrong AGAIN.
The sensor in the landcruiser IS NOT a hall effect.
There is no power flow that is affected by the magnetism, only the small signal generated by the magnet and the steel teeth on the signal ring.

You really need to stop trying to prove me wrong, when you are the one who's wrong, frank.

I used a landcruiiser as an example, directly pertaining to the question asked.

As far as the hall effect, you are wrong AGAIN.
The sensor in the landcruiser IS NOT a hall effect.
There is no power flow that is affected by the magnetism, only the small signal generated by the magnet and the steel teeth on the signal ring.

You really need to stop trying to prove me wrong, when you are the one who's wrong, frank.

Unbelievable , so you didnt read the electronics tutorial that I posted up for you where it says this?

One of the main uses of magnetic sensors is in automotive systems for the sensing of position, distance and speed. For example, the angular position of the crank shaft for the firing angle of the spark plugs, the position of the car seats and seat belts for air-bag control or wheel speed detection for the anti-lock braking system, (ABS). Magnetic sensors are designed to respond to a wide range of positive and negative magnetic fields in a variety of different applications and one type of magnet sensor whose output signal is a function of magnetic field density around it is called the Hall Effect Sensor.

or wheel speed detection for the anti-lock braking system, (ABS) it is called the Hall Effect Sensor.

it is called the Hall Effect Sensor.

Man What is your deal dude, ? What has Toyota done to you ?

Turned you into a misinforming posting poster child,

It not about proving you wrong its about educating you Rixxer, your a menace in the interwebs spreading misinformation,

it is called the Hall Effect Sensor. so thats what I call it,,,

Toyota has a Rixatus Effect Sensor, then splain it,,,,,

frank...... inductive pickup sensors, VR sensors, and hall effect are all different.
YOU need to learn something.

frank...... inductive pickup sensors, VR sensors, and hall effect are all different.

Well we are not talking about a cam or crank sensor are WE?

We are talking about a ABS sensor, VR sensors do not work well with low speed and

"An alternative but more expensive technology is Hall effect sensor. Hall effect sensors are true zero-rpm sensors and actively supply information even when there's no transmission motion at all."

A ABS sensor is Hall effect, stay on point, stay focused Rixxer, we are talking about a ABS sensor and they are "Hall Effect"

It is pointless for you Rixxer to argue with your teacher,,,

Learn this, and maybee we can get some where with the grease,,,

Hall Effect Rixxer they are hall effect,,

Oh Rixxer, I am asking about this non Hall effect ABS sensor in these yotas you talk about down at Camp Crawler under the handle Wenhar,

No body said nutin yet ???

Anyhoo

Wenhar
Dusty Trails

Turtle Points 0

Member since Apr 11

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: Valve lash
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:28:57 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify
Quote from: yotaneck13 on Today at 09:39:47 AM
deal with your self and leave

What,s Wrong ? Just saying that you knuckle heads down here @ Camp Crawler got a simple thing as grease all mixed up,

So classic,

Originally Posted By: IH8mush

Well we are not talking about a cam or crank sensor are WE?

We are talking about a ABS sensor, VR sensors do not work well with low speed and

A ABS sensor is Hall effect, Hall Effect Rixxer they are hall effect,,

WRONG.
You wanna try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back