2014 Challenger long term review: Absolutely terrible.

You do realize the vast majority of the old school “muscle” cars came with an I6 or pitiful v8 that a modern v6 challenger/camaro/mustang would blow the doors off of right?
As I've mentioned before, I have a 1991 magazine that is a compilation of road tests from the old Hi-Performance Cars magazine. The fastest 1/4 mile time was a 12.5 posted by Joe Oldham's 1969 Motion Performance big block Camaro- with 4.10 gears, uncapped headers and slicks. Aside from that car most of the others put up 1/4 mile ETs in the 13.5-14.5 second range. Those times are definitely on the slow side of average for performance cars these days. Even my wife's X1 can run the quarter in 14.6 seconds @ 95 mph(a bit faster than my 1988 M6 when it was stock). My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 could run the quarter in the low 14 second range and trap 100 mph all day long- and that's with a 2.3 liter turbo that averaged 26+ mpg over the 8 years and 158,000 miles I had it. My M235i returned similar fuel economy but ran the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds @ 109 mph. The C43 does it in 12.6 seconds @ 111 (all times taken from Car and Driver). Based on some time slips I've seen, my Wrangler 4xe could possibly run the 1/4 mile in a gift under 14 seconds.

A few years ago I took my friend's Mercedes-AMG E63 to Ohio Valley Raceway's 1/8 mile strip. My fastest run was an 8.12 at 89 mph. I easily beat a built 1970 Buick GS Stage I running slicks. A few years later I took my M235i to Ohio Valley and it ran an 8.59; with no limited slip I had a major problem with wheelspin. In the late '70s -when I hit the strip on a regular basis- there were very few cars that would run in the low eights, and those that did were usually seriously modified.

You do realize the vast majority of the old school “muscle” cars came with an I6 or pitiful v8 that a modern v6 challenger/camaro/mustang would blow the doors off of right?
So would a family sedan or many modern SUV/pickup trucks so why be saddled with a relatively impractical vehicle like Camaro or Mustang (rented both 🤢) without the excess power ?

My 80 C10 had 140hp with top speed of 90 downhill, 2018 Dodge Caravan has double the horsepower which is same engine that is in the Challenger. My Caravan top speed is 118 mph and will run it all day. 10mpg vs 20 mpg. Point is, that Challenger shouldn't be slow.

Back