Mobil 'Clean Oil' in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many people on here, I find it confusing all the oils that are offered by the giant ExxonMobil company, especially the differences between products sold in Canada and the US.

I was under the impression that the only 'Mobil' oils that were availiable in Canada were the synthetic Mobil 1 ones, there were no conventional Mobil oils sold up here. But while searching the 'Mobil in Canada' part of their website, under the statement "The following lubricants and specialty products are available for sale in Canada", I found a listing for this:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Clean_Motor_Oil.pdf

Which oil is this?

I don't think this is Mobil Clean 5000 oil; it has slightly different specs from that product on the US site. Is this 'Mobil Drive Clean oil' renamed for Canada? Is this the oil re-packaged as 'Goodwrench oil' for GM dealerships?

More importantly, anyone in Canada have any experience using this oil? It looks like you would have to go to a bulk Esso dealer to get it, as I've never seen it on store shelves....luckily I have one near me.....

Not that I know of, but I have not looked real hard. Esso used to sell a synthetic with their own brand name on it, but do not do it any longer, and just market Mobil 1. Perhaps the old Esso synthetic was Mobil 1, but who knows. Perhaps they have some kind of agreement between them that does not permit Mobil to sell conventionals in Canada, and in return Esso does not sell synthetics, except perhaps XD-3, and who really knows what that is? Claimed to be a synthetic, made in the US, and sells relatively cheap in Canada. Makes no sense, but could be.

Just to folow up, I phoned XOM near me to find out about this oil, and it is only avaliable in bulk tank fill for dealerships or lube shops - it isn't packaged at all for retail sale.

Even with this, there prolly aren't many dealers at all that use it - GM and Honda(?) dealers in Canada are under contract to Petro-Canada, and most lube shops use Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, or PC oil as their bulk fill. Still interesting that it exists, and I bet it is a good oil!

Of course, the follow up to THIS is now there is 'Canadian' Mobil 'Special' 1000 & 2000; Canadian versions of Mobil Clean 5000 & 7500 in the US...all's well that ends well....

They just started selling Mobil Clean 1000 at Part Source in Edmonton, not sure about other provinces.

To anyone who was looking for it in 5w20 at the northwest Part Source in Edmonton, sorry, it was me who cleaned them out. $12 per 5 litre bottle, I couldn't resist.

Not sure if it is a great oil or not, I'm just running it out to 8,000km and switching back to Esso XD-3 for winter.

This stuff isn't Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500, the Super 2000 is a better synthetic blend oil, but I would like to see VOAs of Esso Extra and Mobil Super 1000 to see if there is really any difference. I dunno if I want to spend the $70 to do it, but I think it is worth investigating. I'm convinced Super 1000 is just Extra in a nicer jug for $5 more.

Esso's synthetic was Ultron and was discontinued because Mobil 1 is an easier sell than it.

Esso offers a cheap bulk oil called Universal LDEO, it is a SL rated 10W-30 that I think ends up in a lot of bulk tnaks as well.

The Esso Extra and Mobil 1000 have the exact same cSt at 40 and 100C, the exact same MRV, CCS. So these 2 oils appear to be the same.

The Mobil 2000 doesn't quite match up with the Esso Ultra. Could be a better synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back