Mobil 1 oil filter - MISLEADING ADVERTISING

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following gripe was sent to Mobil...

""Your Mobil 1 M1-204 oil filter being sold is advertised on the filter box as having a "PREMIUM LUBRICATED FILTER GASKET(that)PROVIDES A TIGHT SEAL AND ALLOWS FOR EASY REMOVAL". I tried contacting the supplier of this filter, Champion Labs and tried to explain that not one drop of ANY kind of lubrication was evident on the filter I just purchased. Common sense tells you to lubricate the filter sealing gasket as I have done for over forty years, BUT, this filter touts that it is "PREMIUM LUBRICATED" and will enable easier removal. My call to the oil hotline was met with the response to lubricate the gasket. For my short term use during my new truck break in I also purchased a Purolator ONE filter which is supplied with some sort of gasket lubrication that vas VERY slippery and it should be easier to remove. I was then going to switch to your filter since it advertised better performance for extended use. My discovery of your product NOT being supplied as advertised leads me to question ALL of your advertising claims for this filter and I cannot rely on ANY of the information provided for this product. What other areas of product quality is deficient with this product, and for that matter, with your Mobil 1 oil???? You FALSELY ADVERTISED about the gasket and I have to question every aspect of ALL of your quality assurance programs. Again, it is NOT the cost of the few drops of oil which I would have applied anyway, but, it is the FALSE ADVERTISING claim of having your filter having PREMIUN LUBRICATION supplied from your supplier.""

I wouldn't be too hard on Mobil. Most claims made by nearly all companies are exaggerated and/or embellished to some extent.

I would like very much to try their filter, but the small inlet holes scare me away.
frown.gif

The gasket might br coated/impregnated with teflon or something similar. Wix used to make a filter that used teflon coated gaskets.

As for small holes, nothing to worry about, total the area of the inlet holes and the area of the hole in the mounting stud (not the filter outlet hole) and let us know which is bigger. My money is on the total area of the filter inlet holes.

They probably just dismissed it. I find you get a better response when you carefully choose your words instead of using emotionally-charged verbage when writing a company. Some 10-dollar an hour employee probably passed it on to someone else next to their cubicle and laughed about a crazy guy getting worked up about a non-greasy gasket.

$9.49, every size every day, at our WalMart. Plus our Walmart has added Mopar - for the time being I guess. Awful lot of oranged colored stuff, in addition to SuperTech. Did notice they got rid of the $10 Fram Extended Guards - the only one I'd consider.

and $7.50 when on sale at AA! These gaskets do have some built-in slipperiness when compared to gaskets of other, cheaper filters. But you still have to coat with oil before installing. I'm not too sure how much this helps when time to remove the filter. It may help it to break loose easier if it was overtightened when installed. I don't see this as misleading advertising, but rather them pointing out some of the premium features to help you think you're getting a better filter since you are paying more money for it.

ONE LAST STATEMENT....

After reading other posts about my Mobil 1 oil filter posting – MISLEADING ADVERTISING, most, if not all of the replies, indicated that the majority of you are or will be happy to buy and use products that are NOT as advertised or be of sub-standard quality. Call the Mobil claims "Advertising Embellishment" or whatever, the FACT is the same. IT IS FALSE ADVERTISING... I am probably in the 1% minority of consumers that really do give a D--- about the products they purchase and only want what they are "promised" by the manufactures advertising claims. This not only applies to this filter in question, but, to ANYTHING that is offered for sale to the public. It really just boils down to you being one of the following two types of people…

Little “boys” will believe anything that is told to them and will pass that on as the “truth”…

Ream MEN will question and examine what is told to them and will only pass on the truths if they know them to be accurate; throwing out the lies. Are you art of the problem that believes and not question what the corporate giants tell you in their ads, or, are you part of the solution (minority), that still knows the difference between telling the truth or telling lies…. It’s up to you… Remain part of the problem, or try to be part of the solution….

Dude, you're blowing things way out of proportion. Pete C. explained the issue already. Apart from that, are you familiar with the term "marketing fluff"? Do real MEN go out there and spend their day fighting marketing fluff? If so, I don't want to be one.
laugh.gif

Give it a rest. Move on. Obviously you're scarred for life with Mobil products.

Quote:

Dude, you're blowing things way out of proportion. Pete C. explained the issue already. Apart from that, are you familiar with the term "marketing fluff"? Do real MEN go out there and spend their day fighting marketing fluff? If so, I don't want to be one.
laugh.gif

Give it a rest. Move on. Obviously you're scarred for life with Mobil products.

MY DOLLARS ARE NOT SPENT ON MARKETING "FLUFF". I TRY TO MAKE MY DOLLARS COUNT BY BUYING QUALITY PRODUCTS....
YOU EVIDENTLY DO NOT KNOW THE CORRELATION THAT "MARKETING FLUFF" IS JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR "INACCURATE PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS" I.E. LIES. BUT THEN, YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND THAT CONCEPT....

EVIDENTLY, YOU ARE JUST ONE OF THE "LITTLE BOYS"...

JUST BUY WHATEVER SUBSTANDARD, MIS-REPRESENTED PRODUCTS YOU MAY WANT AND BE HAPPY .... YOU MUST HAVE A "BILL GATES" BANK ACCOUNT WHICH EXPLAINS WHY YOU DO NOT CARE IF YOU PURCHASE A QUALITY PRODUCT OR NOT. YOU WILL JUST KEEP BUYING THE SAME OLD STUFF ANYWAY....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back