Mobil 1 oil filter - MISLEADING ADVERTISING

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohthedrama.jpg

A few thoughts:

- The Mobil gasket may be impregnated with with a lubricant. This is commonly done with similar materials such as bushings and covers in front en suspension components. If so, I am quite sure that such a process is significantly moe effective and expensive than smearing oil on a gasket. The Mobil advertising may be correct. The thing to do here is to ask them for an explanation first before accusing them of false advertising.

- Some advice - You mention "real men". In my opinion "real men" ask questions in a calm and patient manner before they pass judgement, because it is fair to give others whom you belive are lying a chance to explain themselves. If someone disagreed with you or thought you were lying about something wouldn't you want the opportunity to discuss the matter with them before they wrote about you on the internet and called you a liar.

Your intentions are admirable. But it is very wise to give a company a chance to explain themselves before you publically accuse them of something. If their answer does not sound plausible then do not buy their product and feel free to tell your friends why so that they can make up their minds as well.

Give Mobil a chance to explain themselves. Did they respond to your e-mail? If not I will be happy to give them a call for you to discuss the matter and try to get more information about their gaskets and associated claims.

Good Luck !!!

I just sent an e-mail to Mobil asking them to provide info if possible. I will advise if response is received.

Mobil's response below:

Thank you for your inquiry,

You are correct, the gasket is impregnated with a fluid that slowly
seeps out to the surface during the useful life of the gasket, most
likely not enough for an individual to really see. You can however rub
our gasket and feel the difference between the slipperiness then a
conventional filter gasket. This is what allows a consumer to put on our
gasket with hand and able to take the filter back off from the engine
block without a filter wrench.

I personally utilize the Mobil1 oil filters and you can definitely tell
the difference between Mobil1 filters and other premium filters when
removing from and engine block.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

I do suppose one could only hand tighten such a filter. But I usually tighten mine to the extent that I have to use a wrench to get them off. Maybe I will give M1 a try and put this to the test. By the way, Mobil responded to my e-mail in less than 20 minutes. Wow !!!

And so the drama ends. rn2fine, thank you for approaching this in a professional manner and getting us the answer from the horse's mouth.

cheers.gif

Quote:

This is what allows a consumer to put on our
gasket with hand and able to take the filter back off from the engine block without a filter wrench.

I really like that about the filter; it is easily removed by hand.

QUESTION: How many of the replies to my post are from people who have ACTUALLY "felt" the contact gasket of a Mobil 1 oil filter?

"TOUCH TEST CHALLANGE". I have felt the gasket. No, my fingers are not calibrated oil sensors, but absolutely NO lubrication OR slipperiness was evident to my "touch test". How about the next reply(ies) to be from forum participants who have personally examined these gaskets with their own "non-calibrated fingers", and THEN reply. This may be a case of a bad lot or shipment, but, I will be very interested in what other members find when they have personally examined this product. P.S. I also received the same "canned" response from Mobil (word for fricking word) about their gasket as was received by Mr. rn2fine..... Additionally I just visited Discount Auto and examined a handful of different models of the Mobile 1 filter, none of which had any "slipperiness" to any of them.... Touch and feel for YOURSELVES before throwing me under the bus.. Thanks..

Hank69, working at an auto parts store that sells these filters, I can honestly say I have examined more of these filters than you have. In fact, the number of filters I have examined is only exceeded by the number of Prozac pills you have popped.

I do not know what you expect. Do you want them to lube up the gasket so much that it leaves the box greasy? Have you done independent studies to refute the fact that they do have a release agent on these gaskets? I'd certainly be more inclined to believe you if you took one of these gaskets and had it analyzed. Then, perhaps you would be able to take legal action and we could actually take you more seriously. Instead, you sound a little nutty making a big deal about a lubed gasket.

Honestly, I'm just as concerned as you when it comes to consumer issues. I believe we are in trouble as a country...we rely too much on foreign made ____ and very little on our own goods. With that said, you are making way too much out of this since you don't have any factual proof.

I am a real man.

Hank... any chance you're also interested in these forums to learn more about oil/filters/maintenance?? Do you need help interpreting VOA's or picking the right brake fluid for your car?
grin.gif

I just find it odd that your 1st post on this forum back on 6/26 involves a rant against Mobil, as does your subsequent 3 posts. And in the meantime, you've never cared to post or reply to any other subject on this forum? Am I the only one who finds this odd??
dunno.gif
I'm not saying.... I'm just saying....

You list yourself as a design engineer. Maybe you should draw up your own specs for a lubricated oil filter gasket and submit your design to Mobil for their consideration. Don't forget to include charts and graphs showing the superiority of your design over theirs.
smirk.gif

Unless, of course, you would be aiding the enemy
blush.gif

Hank, do you by chance sell oil and filters from another company that also advertises their oil filter gaskets are lubricated? If so, that would partially explain your rage against such a company as Mobil...

bmw.... that's the line I was going down.

Worst case scenario - he works for a Mobil competitor and figures it would be fun to trash an industry leader incognito.

Best case scenario - he likes to rant and complain about something trivial, disappear for a few days, come back again and complain, rinse, repeat.

Either way, I can't take the guy seriously.

Mobil 1 filters are great. I have had great performance with them. All products at times fail to meet standards. Made on a Friday maybe.

Wow, guess the New Members' Forum was too little too late to save our sanity here....(But a great idea BTW).....

CORRECTION....

Mr. G-MAN,

Regarding my post concerning the above subject, let me state a correction for the record. The problem lies not with the Mobil Oil Company, but, with their filter supplier, Champion Labs. I just had a nice conversation with a CL Executive and after my initial conversation with him last week; he called today and informed me that there was indeed a "manufacturing problem" with the Mobil 1 line of oil filters. He was very thankful that I had contacted him and will be showing his appreciation by shipping a few filters for my effort taken in informing him of a situation that he did not know existed. My initial observation that the Mobil Company was at "fault" was not accurate, and an apology is hereby given. I had believed that they were involved with the quality control of their products, when in fact, this responsibility lies with CL. After replacing my 04 Ranger with a new 07 Dodge Ram, due to a recent rollover crash, I wanted to take the best possible care of this vehicle and that included using the best oil filter with my PAST and continued FUTURE use of the Mobil 1 oil. My intentions were honorable and although I ruffled a few feathers, it really did not bother me. I have, and always will be, one to TRY to make things right, not only for myself, but, for the other 1450 plus "viewers" of my post. If you think my somewhat “outspoken” opinions have gone beyond what can be expected from this forum, then please remove me from membership. If not, please post this apology and correction. Thanks for your time.

Hank

Just as I was confused by your PM to me about this, I'm equally confused as to why you address this post to me. I don't have a single post in this thread (prior to this one).
confused.gif

Just wanted to give you an opportunity to reply if I had gone beyond the line in this "heated battel" over a dry gasket... All is well.... The gasket "problem" is being addressed as you'all read this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back