mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: satiger
Based on the responses, I will try M1 HM and compare both UOAs. I will post the results here (it's going to take some time until I complete 5k driving and get the test results).

UOA will not tell you anything about wear UNLESS you also do a particle count AND a filter content washdown and particle count THERE. Plus you would have to do at leat 2 OCI on the M1 since the extreme detergency will be cleaning off all the EP and its associated metals (Fe) on the first OCI and placing them into suspension. This is a BIG problem with this site - it promotes UOA for no good reason whatsoever and 90%+ of the members are clueless about UOA and VOA. Plus B-S has been making tons off boo-boo's lately - good luck trusting THEIR results. Whats up with that?

Thank you for this post. I have always thought that UOAs were way overrated on this and other sites. For all the money that some spend on UOAs they could have changed the oil multiple times in the cars and done a lot more good.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
would it benefit a new car? like a 2015 rogue?

No. It's SL rated.

Quote:
what about a 2003 toyota canmry with 154k miles?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Considering the pretty pedestrian zinc and phosphorous levels, why are these oils only SL rated? Could they not perform well enough to be SM?
t

Phosphorous is higher than the levels allowed by SM and SN certifications. Phosphorous levels were reduced in those specs out of fear it could poison catalytic converters in cars with significant oil consumption. Perversely, the additive pack is too stout to qualify as SM/SN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back