Accidentally used high mileage Mobil 1

I’m a little disappointed.

Thought I was pouring Mobil One 0W 20 extended performance, and when I look at the label after pouring in 3 quarts, it says extended performance high mileage, as the labels look nearly identical.

I’m pouring this into a twoARFE RAV4 with only 22,000 miles on it. Should I drain this stuff out?

I wouldn’t care, but it seems weird putting high mileage into some thing that only has 22,000 miles on it

I'd bet that if you don't mention this within earshot of your RAV4 that it won't know any difference. Just don't start treating it like a senior citizen with early afternoon fuel station visits and playing Jeopardy in the garage in the evenings.

The product that you used is quite possibly the best offering that the Exxon/Mobil oil corporation has developed yet. Don't feel any level of guilt over this transgression.

I think that’s what I’ll do just looking for a little confirmation to make me feel better!

Thanks!

Some HM oils condition and some H\M oils swell seals . Either way it shouldnt hurt to use it .

The only key difference with "high mileage" is additional seal conditioner additive to help keep old seals pliable. It may have slightly more viscosity within the grade. That's about it. No harm in using it.

I've used HM oil several times. Why because it was on sale with a rebate. Got it for $4 a Jug net. Never got a written complaint from the car of our AG!

Last edited:
I would drain it and put in the oil of my choice just so I can feel more at peace. It is totally unnecessary but I have serious unhealthy attachment issues when it comes to automobiles.

I’m a little disappointed.

Thought I was pouring Mobil One 0W 20 extended performance, and when I look at the label after pouring in 3 quarts, it says extended performance high mileage, as the labels look nearly identical.

I’m pouring this into a twoARFE RAV4 with only 22,000 miles on it. Should I drain this stuff out?

I wouldn’t care, but it seems weird putting high mileage into some thing that only has 22,000 miles on it
Conversely, with Mobil 1, you receive a higher quality, more costly-to-produce motor oil. Using it is not just a good decision, but I would recommend continuing its use to keep your engine in excellent condition.

To illustrate, the base oil in M1 EP HM 0W-20 (the one you've used) is majority GTL, which aids in cold flow, particularly at startup. On the other hand, the M1 EP 0W-20, which you initially intended to use, is primarily Group III base oil and contains fewer seal conditioners and organic anti-wear additives, as well as organic friction modifiers (like glycerol monooleate and borate esters, etc.). The M1 EP 0W-20 is Dexos licensed, meaning it's formulated to meet specific standards. The High Mileage version, however, is not, allowing for the inclusion of additional additives. While this explanation might simplify the differences, it's accurate to say that the High Mileage version offers superior overall performance.

If you're planning to keep your vehicle for an extended period, continuing to use M1 HM 0W-20 is beneficial for your engine.

1710028474027.jpg

Back