Mobil 1 5w-30 / 19,804..!!!! / '07 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this oil a bit longer then I intended!!
sick.gif
I'm pleased it wasn't too bad. I'm going to try and keep OCI to 15k.

1. Why is the TBN higher even tho it was longer and more miles then previously?
2. Did I maybe use Mobil 1 EP? It was so long ago, I don't remember!!
blush.gif

3. What do you all think? How does it look? Btw, this was with Toyota genuine oil filter. I'm using a Mobil 1 with this OCI

Alex
E52559.jpg

Taking into consideration the mileage on the oil, I think the report looks great! I would only run it 15,000, but thats just me.

Toyota makes some great engines, as noted by your report. Just out of curiosity, what are your current mpg numbers? As much as I love my Corolla I would consider a Prius very seriously when the time comes to trade. I filled up tonight and received 35-36 mpg in the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Taking into consideration the mileage on the oil, I think the report looks great! I would only run it 15,000, but thats just me.

Toyota makes some great engines, as noted by your report. Just out of curiosity, what are your current mpg numbers? As much as I love my Corolla I would consider a Prius very seriously when the time comes to trade. I filled up tonight and received 35-36 mpg in the Corolla.

Thanks! As for MPG, I average 45-46 mpg. I'm around 41-43 in the dead of winter, and 50+ in the heat of the summer. Now, I don't drive like gramma and have what some might call "lead foot"
laugh.gif
I drive regularly in the high 70 MPH. I know some who get high 60 mpg's with careful driving and their commute lends itself to higher MPGs.

Couple things...
Winter driving..
1. I'm fortunate to have a heated garage now. Otherwise my winter MPGs would be high 30's.
2. I don't turn on the car to let warm up when left outside
3. I don't turn the heat on till the car has reached optimum operating temp(3-4 min)
4. When I'm coming to a light, I turn off the heat. As this will force the engine to run to give you heat. Easily done with auto climate and on/off button at my thumbs on steering wheel

Summer driving..
1. I don't use the AC as much as some.. I just prefer the "wind in my face"
2. If I do use the AC, it's not an issue at higher speeds as the engine is already running.
3. If I'm at stop and go traffic and need to use the AC, I'll turn it off at longer lights unless it's really unbearable
4. I've tinted all my windows to keep it more bearable
laugh.gif

I love my Prius. It's smooth and quiet and does it's job. No issues accept the 2 recalls. The floor mat one is a bunch of [censored] and I did NOT let them cut my gas pedal. The water pump was no biggie.

Looks good too. First with summer wheels/tires, second with winter wheels/tires and third with summer wheels/tires but with the wheel covers off
laugh.gif

file.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures. You have a gorgeous Prius; I love the black. It looks very elegant!

I have been driving my Corolla lately as a "hyper-miler". I don't exceed 60 on the e-way(I'll do 55 if traffic permits), try to time the red lights so as to minimize idling time etc. Just think the kind of mileage I could obtain with a Prius! Hmmmmm, trading the Corolla is looking better and better
grin.gif

Nice UOA! This is pretty amazing actually. And I have a feeling you really might have put the 5w30 EP in.....and the reason is: I put the EP in my wife's RAV4 a couple times...and because I did, I guess my brain's "oil change" alert didn't start going off since I subconsciencely knew it would good for longer. I accidentally ran it 11k, and I meant to only run it 7k.

There a way to figure out how many miles or hours the engine has seen? 19k miles on a hybrid is not the same as 19k miles on a standard car. Still, this is an impressive uoa. Does look like you pushed it just a tad too far, judging by your iron and aluminum. Wicked high tbn!

Doesnt seem like the (combustion) engine got taxed. I too wonder what kind of load and miles it saw in those 19k miles. Still, not too shabby.

Flash Point is still good for so many miles, as is the TBN and Vis. What about the silcone? Seems high to me for all your oil changes. Maybe that has something to do with the higher alum PPM. The iron isn't really bad as the norm for iron goes up to around 100PPM or so. I'm a 10K OCI guy so I think I would cut back on the OCI a bit. However I know guys going 15K + OCIs on plain M1 5-30 with 250-300K on their engines. Can you tell how the engine looks through the oil fill hole for being clean? I am very impressed with the fact that no oil was added or a new filter was installed during this run.

Originally Posted By: trooper001
Doesnt seem like the (combustion) engine got taxed. I too wonder what kind of load and miles it saw in those 19k miles. Still, not too shabby.

I do agree that the Prius will not get taxed as much. First, you have the fact that it does shut down in city driving. Also, I believe the Hybrid drive takes the brunt of driveline shock and very little gets to the motor? On the other hand, the stoping/starting cycles are much higher then normal.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Flash Point is still good for so many miles, as is the TBN and Vis. What about the silcone? Seems high to me for all your oil changes. Maybe that has something to do with the higher alum PPM. The iron isn't really bad as the norm for iron goes up to around 100PPM or so. I'm a 10K OCI guy so I think I would cut back on the OCI a bit. However I know guys going 15K + OCIs on plain M1 5-30 with 250-300K on their engines. Can you tell how the engine looks through the oil fill hole for being clean? I am very impressed with the fact that no oil was added or a new filter was installed during this run.

The engine looks very clean. I'm glad that I didn't have to top up the oil at any point. That means it would of had to go somewhere? And yes, I didn't mean to push it this long. I'm keeping it around 15k for now.

Originally Posted By: quicksilvr
Nice UOA! This is pretty amazing actually. And I have a feeling you really might have put the 5w30 EP in.....and the reason is: I put the EP in my wife's RAV4 a couple times...and because I did, I guess my brain's "oil change" alert didn't start going off since I subconsciencely knew it would good for longer. I accidentally ran it 11k, and I meant to only run it 7k.

For some reason the EP is bouncing around in my memory. I remember last UOA we talked about maybe using the EP, but I can't remember if I actually purchased it and used it. My 20's are catching up to me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures. You have a gorgeous Prius; I love the black. It looks very elegant!

I have been driving my Corolla lately as a "hyper-miler". I don't exceed 60 on the e-way(I'll do 55 if traffic permits), try to time the red lights so as to minimize idling time etc. Just think the kind of mileage I could obtain with a Prius! Hmmmmm, trading the Corolla is looking better and better
grin.gif

Thanks for the compliment! I think it is a really nice looking car. I've owned 27 cars that I remember, and this is by far the most reliable and easy to drive. And the bluetooth phone is great.

And yes, if you drive conservatively, you will get some impressive MPGs.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
There a way to figure out how many miles or hours the engine has seen? 19k miles on a hybrid is not the same as 19k miles on a standard car. Still, this is an impressive uoa. Does look like you pushed it just a tad too far, judging by your iron and aluminum. Wicked high tbn!

Its not like the car racked on 5-10k miles with the engine off.

The engine only turns off while braking for a stop / while stopped at red lights, etc. so technically, the only benefit this engine got was that during these 19k miles, it wasn't idling a LOT during stops (where a normal engine would be idling, thus more wear on the oil)

I'd assume the 19k miles were pretty much accumulated with the engine running. Maybe minus 1,000 miles at most, accounting for the battery accelerating the car up to a certain speed before the engine kicks in and also while rolling to a stop (when the engine also turns off when you apply the brakes)

Impressive UOA nonetheless. I also wouldn't push it THAT far but good to know it can handle it.

Nice-looking car, I'm not sure i've seen many of those in shiny black - it looks great!

For 19k with no top-ups, results are great. However, you are experiencing some significant piston wear, as evidenced by the high Al. Yes, it's 19k, but a Al count of 19 is still really high.

Some of it is abrasive wear, as Si is somewhat high, too. I'd keep the OCI's under 15k to reduce this, OR change the oil filter at 10-12k, top-off the oil, and maybe try to 20-22k?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For 19k with no top-ups, results are great. However, you are experiencing some significant piston wear, as evidenced by the high Al. Yes, it's 19k, but a Al count of 19 is still really high.

Not really that high. I think that is about 5 ppm for an interpolated OCI of 5k miles. I don't believe such a # would imply significant piston wear
21.gif

Last edited:
I honestly don't see a reason to push the oil THIS long. I agree on getting your money's worth out of it but pushing it too far and possibly risking accelerated engine wear over a few pennies is just silly to me.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I honestly don't see a reason to push the oil THIS long. I agree on getting your money's worth out of it but pushing it too far and possibly risking accelerated engine wear over a few pennies is just silly to me.

Well he did say he did not intend to run it that long.
That really does take some balls though.

No experience with hybrid engines, but I would recommend 12,000-13,000 miles and a retest for comparison, if your habits/most things stay consistent.

Otherwise, did anyone think perhaps a short interval on a lesser M1 oil prior to an extended run on EP again, in the event silicon/other wear metals etc something may show up with a short run/UOA?

This is assuming OP is wanting to go headlong into UOAs etc.

Those would be my 2 routes moving forward, since I don't know about hybrid engines.

Obviously too long of an interval... cut it back to reasonable intervals! I was eyeballing the new Prius at the dealership a couple weeks ago. Nice car!

I'd love to see a report with M1 0W20, or 5W20 EP in use for two OCI. With the on/off cycles the engine sees the 20 grade oil might have actually done better. JMO.

Your iron count doubled when compared to the previous run of 15,143. It's too bad because the TBN is still 4.2. Perhaps with better filtration you could take it farther. This is probably an excellent case for a bypass filter. For now, cut back to 15K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back