'22 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0, 2,771mi, Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, K&P reusable oil filter

At least ISO cleanliness 4406 standards are the proper way to measure particle counts & I think it's neat you're running this filter along with a Fram for comparison. We may not know the 100% true efficiencies of either but we could try to put one together, loosely, based on your PC results between each filter for your use case. Has it been 3 weeks yet... :LOL:.
Yeah I'm guessing three weeks from now I'll get the Blackstone report.🤦‍♂️😂

50/50 city/Hwy pretty much all the time.
Good Morning Dezlpwer,
Its great your trip lengths are 15-30 minutes; this gets the engine warmed up nicely. The 50/50 city/hwy is also easier on the oil.

Like you, I'm a Subaru owner that drives 2021 Forester Limited. I trust their engineers in their setting of the OCI at 6K miles. I think you can easily go to a 5K OCI using Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, Valvoline Extended Synthetic or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Based on VOIs I've seen from Blackstone they have better add packs and starting TBNs based on their 5W-30 grade. Pair one of these oils with a Fram Tough Guard and you'll save yourself some trips under the car, dollar savings and the engine will like it too!

I've been tempted to remove the oil filter and see how full it is after sitting overnight. I guess I could just put it back on?
Try it. Guarantee it will be empty!

I came across this nonsense when servicing a Subaru Legacy with the upside down filter. Car cooled off for like 15-20 mins before I began and I was surprised that the oil filter was EMPTY when I removed it, even with a nice Orange Silicon anti-drainback valve on a quality filter. 🤨😑🤦🏻‍♂️ what a terrible design, in my opinion.

The engine sounded TERRIBLE when I fired it back up after the oil change. No way I would EVER own one of these Turds. 🫣

P.s. looking forward to the oil filter comparison.

I came across this nonsense when servicing a Subaru Legacy with the upside down filter. Car cooled off for like 15-20 mins before I began and I was surprised that the oil filter was EMPTY when I removed it, even with a nice Orange Silicon anti-drainback valve on a quality filter. 🤨😑🤦🏻‍♂️ what a terrible design, in my opinion.

The engine sounded TERRIBLE when I fired it back up after the oil change. No way I would EVER own one of these Turds. 🫣

P.s. looking forward to the oil filter comparison.
That's why you have to do the "clear flood mode" after oil changes to prime the filter etc.😂 Floor the gas pedal while cranking and engine will crank but not start. Do this till oil light goes out. I agree, ridiculous.

Thanks. I’m interested in the Forester and was just curious what they allowed. I’m assuming this would be similar to the crosstrek.
Yes pretty much all newer engines these days run thin 0W-20 or similar oil. I run the thicker 0W-30 oil because the Subaru direct injection engines are oil diluters. I have a number of threads on here of every oil analysis done with each oil change since new.

Yes pretty much all newer engines these days run thin 0W-20 or similar oil. I run the thicker 0W-30 oil because the Subaru direct injection engines are oil diluters. I have a number of threads on here of every oil analysis done with each oil change since new.
I wonder how an A3/B4 would behave in these.

I emailed Horizon about the erroneous "high oxidation" commentary on my analysis reports. Here's their reply. They are going to fix it. 🤙

Apologies for the commenting. I re-sent the report with comments that are more appropriate. We don't have a flagging template for this oil so our commenting should be asking for a baseline reference instead of condemning the oxidation value.

Thank you,
Quentin Sloboda
Data Analyst 1

Will be interesting to see UOAs of the new M1 ESP 5w30 which looks very different than this version.

Back