Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, 5074 miles, 2016 Honda HR-V

Report looks good. From some of the articles and patents that were posted in the past, it could be they're using some bio sourced base oils and some unique additives in this oil (Triple Action) to compensate for the lower metallic additives across the board. Just a guess.

Chevron's Vartech was added at a 5% concentration and was in use for the entire OCI (not vetted for automotive use).

Haven't gotten around to taking apart the oil filter yet but will try to get it done next week.

Found it interesting how the fuel dilution has greatly improved since switching to 91 octane.

More previous UOAs of this engine, it's obvious which had 87 octane in use:

View attachment 209868
I dont think the 1.8 in the Honda HRV has direct injection.. I have a 2021 and it does not have it...It is multi point....

Last edited:
I dont think the 1.8 in the Honda HRV has direct injection.. I have a 2021 and it does not have it...It is multi point....

You're right, it's the same engine from 2016-2022.

Not sure why the #'s are much better. Only way to confirm is to do what twX's suggested for an entire OCI.

So if this is a port injected engine, why was fuel dilution over 3% in the first place, even in warmer weather, and without much short-tripping? Is this normal for these engines?

I'd switch back to 87 with ethanol to see if the dilution returns.

With pour points and detergents pretty low comparatively speaking, I'm wondering if the Triple Action does contain a good dose of ANs.

ANs kill pour point and the Ca/Mg levels currently are very low so it leaves me to believe the AN's are what is giving Mobil 1 Triple that cleaning ability.

I saw this comment on the Lubrication Explained episode with Mobil 1 engineer:

1714131278147.jpg

1714131215318.jpg

There was no compliment there. Econ is stupid. Don’t use it.

I started using eco mode in my Civic last fall and it made a very noticeable difference in fuel economy! I was previously averaging 5.4L per 100km during all of the spring and summer months, and since my last oil change 12,000km ago, and through the winter months as well, I'm at 5.1L per 100km average! So that means it went from 43.5 MPG to 46.1 MPG, doing the same driving route but with colder weather! Yes we had a very mild winter here, but it was still colder than what I was experiencing in the spring and summer. I see no detriment to using it on this car, it's a naturally aspirated and port injected 2.0L engine, so LSPI is not going to be an issue.

I started using eco mode in my Civic last fall and it made a very noticeable difference in fuel economy! I was previously averaging 5.4L per 100km during all of the spring and summer months, and since my last oil change 12,000km ago, and through the winter months as well, I'm at 5.1L per 100km average! So that means it went from 43.5 MPG to 46.1 MPG, doing the same driving route but with colder weather! Yes we had a very mild winter here, but it was still colder than what I was experiencing in the spring and summer. I see no detriment to using it on this car, it's a naturally aspirated and port injected 2.0L engine, so LSPI is not going to be an issue.
It will of course depend on your driving style. If you drive like you're 90 and barely go above 2k rpm or 30mph, sure, it can make a difference. To most people actually driving places to get there with a purpose, it will be neglible at best.

It will of course depend on your driving style. If you drive like you're 90 and barely go above 2k rpm or 30mph, sure, it can make a difference. To most people actually driving places to get there with a purpose, it will be neglible at best.

I do drive like I'm 90 when I'm in the Civic :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, with the cost of gas up here, I try to get the best possible economy that I can. I drive 35,000km a year in the Civic and about 15,000 a year in the Corvette (I don't drive that one like an old man though!) so every dollar counts.

Back