Mobil 1 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do $400,000- supercars have inferior engine design that require a "specialty oil"?

Re-posting this for posterity. I'm sorry but I can't imagine it requires a response.

And if you make this a viscosity requirement, Why is Dr. Haas (sucessfully?)running a thin oil in his supercars -AG

Read his posts. It is because he only drives them for short trips and never races them. But this is a non-sequitur. You're responding to a point that was never made.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
no shearing through the oci

When Mobil 1 0w-40 shears, fuel dilution can rarely be ruled out. Can you show that Mobil 1 10w-30 HM would have retained its viscosity under the same circumstances?

Re-posting this question because you dodged it.

one or more of the spec on the 0w-40 bottle prob disallow shearing out of grade. I will assume Mobil is using special shear stable vii in this 0w-40 - AG

Exactly the point.

Only that mobil says it has extra, the sulfated ash % of 1.3 on the datasheet; I do not know the boron % of the HM oil - I'll concede this moderate to high boron dose % FM/EP is special and welcome in the formulation of the 0w-40 - AG

Sulfated ash =/= EP properties.

There is no -40c mrv published for the HM10w but if its 85% pao then it would have a servicable pump at -40 as the spec aloow 60KcP, IIRC - AG

Thought experiments are not the same as evidence.
wink.gif

The BMW LL01 spec, not directly but oil must be long drain serviceable. I dont like excess Ca adds as its traditionally EP/AW competitive. - AG

How do you know this is even a significant hindrance for the 0w-40?

How much Ca does Mobil 1 10w-30 HM have, anyway?

Bench racing is fun and all, but if you're going to make bold assertions you should back them up with data.

if the "exotic" engine cant survive with 3.5 HTHS oil regardless of low shear SAE viscosity in daily sport driving, then the engine is defective. - AG

Wow. You should write letters to Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, and Mercedes. Tell them about this amazing insight before they ship even more defective engines! Thousands of customers are counting on YOU!
crazy2.gif

I was trying to show they are more similar than apart

No, you weren't. Your original point was that 10w-30 HM was better.

I will concede too that what is unseen about the oil can make it outperform

Then, I'm sorry, but you have to concede that your entire argument therefore evaporates. Again, exactly the point. You can't look at a PDS, an MSDS, and a $20 VOA and immediately assume you know enough to know how the oil will perform.

Mobil 1 0w40 drops a bit of viscosity over a short interval in some cars due to the viscosity modifier. Most of the Euro 40 grade oils have a HT/HS of 3.7 max, to meet fuel requirements. It's just a trade-off.

I've read that Mobil makes a race version of their 0w-40 that Porsche uses on the track. I'm not sure if that is true.

What Doug said is true.

Again Mobil is messing with the HM oil, so its not closely comparable anymore. My arguments, I would hope, show a good understanding of oil - I'll let them stand as they are. I still think calling a 10w30 real synthetic "archaic" is insulting to basic tribo knowledge - I would say instead "inherently robust".

Please read closely. I called the grade archaic, not the oil.

EDIT: Also...
Again Mobil is messing with the HM oil, so its not closely comparable anymore.

...then what the heck is the point of the discussion?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

EDIT: Also...
Again Mobil is messing with the HM oil, so its not closely comparable anymore.

...then what the heck is the point of the discussion?
I learned through recent research during our discussion that the MSDS and Datasheet dont match, otherwise I would not have brought it up. Happy New Year and thanks for the good argument, d00dF00d!

What is different between the datasheet and MSDS for the oil in question?

I've never seen data in common between the two on any oil, as they provide different information. I'd not go looking for safety info on the data sheet or specs on the MSDS.

Bob,
aligned with your (and others) comments one should be careful about the "absolute" accuracy of Product Data Sheets (PDS) and etc

I have just alerted a major Oil Company (not Mobil) to a very serious error in one of their Product Data Sheets. This error has the potential to seriously harm expensive components if used as directed on the PDS. I was only able to alert them and get immediate action as one of their Senior Lubricant Engineers is an ex-employee of mine - so I had a direct "line" to the top

The PDS are being recalled and Distributors advised as I type this!

I've seen what Doug is talking about on more than one occasion. R&D list what is supposed to go on the PDS, some clerk/secretary mistypes the information. Sometimes if not corrected can cause bad results.

Nice Mobil 1 productguide chart, Bob. Thank you. I knew M14T had high zddp, and have used M14T very successfully to ammend weak oil but - WoWza!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I've seen what Doug is talking about on more than one occasion. R&D list what is supposed to go on the PDS, some clerk/secretary mistypes the information. Sometimes if not corrected can cause bad results.
IIRC, the M1 5w-30 had the worst discrepancy in the pour point etc, But The msds was dated 2002 and the datasheet 2007. Incongruent data on their top selling oil.

Bob,

The product spec sheet you posted and the OP VOA are pretty close on zinc and phos.

And as Arco said, thanks for posting this product data sheet.

Johnny,

10% and 20% less additives respectively is pretty close?

I found it [the Mobil multi-oil PDS] on here some months ago
banana2.gif

Yes. Most oil companies give averages on their PDS sheets and UOA's all depend on the calibration of the test equipment and which human did them. I've had VOA's done in the past where I questioned the additive level. Resent samples three times from the same bottle and got back three different answers. All within the 10% range.

Be aware that ten PPM is only one-thousandth of one percent. It aint a cake walk analysing trace metals, requires a fastideous lab technique.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes. Most oil companies give averages on their PDS sheets and UOA's all depend on the calibration of the test equipment and which human did them. I've had VOA's done in the past where I questioned the additive level. Resent samples three times from the same bottle and got back three different answers. All within the 10% range.

6% RSD is the max Ill accept in my lab.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
This lubricant is at the very top of the M1 “tree” and formulated by the Company with access to the very best of base fluids, ester and PAO structures!

...M1 0W-40 has proven to be an exceptional performer. It may just be one of the best engine lubricants ever made – at any price!

You're the best Doug!

What caught my untrained eye was the 897 Phosphorus. Isn't that supposed to be less than 800 to have the SM rating?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
H
The reality is that based on its Worldwide performance in the field in a variety of engine families from many Manufacturers, and in racing conditions, M1 0W-40 has proven to be an exceptional performer. It may just be one of the best engine lubricants ever made – at any price!

Compares to M1 0W-40 what would you consider to be the other best oil or next best oil? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back