Castrol EDGE Euro Car 5W40 A3/B4 API SP

Castrol dropped Titanium from all oils several years ago. I think it was something about not mixing well with ZDDP.
I guess that shows how old my stash was. My UOA’s always showed 40-50 ppm Ti. I should have some new bottles arrive in a few days. We’ll see what the label says. Of course, we’ll also see what the date codes on those are…though I’ve forgotten how to read them (Castrol). Could be fairly old (Walmart.com).

I guess that shows how old my stash was. My UOA’s always showed 40-50 ppm Ti. I should have some new bottles arrive in a few days. We’ll see what the label says. Of course, we’ll also see what the date codes on those are…though I’ve forgotten how to read them (Castrol). Could be fairly old (Walmart.com).
Please read post #35 in this thread:
Castrol still uses Titanium in everything except the API SP version of Euro 5W40.

I’m sure everyone will be fascinated to hear what Walmart.com just shipped to me (SARCASM). Regardless, here it is:

* Qts of Euro 0w30, pink label, no BMW (LL1) cert, made in Belgium, 23201 date code (July 2023) printed as expected. No mention of Titanium on the front label, but “Fluid TITANIUM Technology” on the back label. They did have “Castrol” molded into the caps. I vaguely remember having a quart of this “vintage” resembling this, but it got used up with some older (??) bottles…therefore can’t compare bottles…I have an even older

* 5qt jug of 0w40 : made in Belgium, no mention of Titanium on the back label, But “Fluid TITANIUM Technology” on the front. no BMW cert. No “Castrol” markings on the cap, and no date code.

I have an old used 0w40 jug I use for recycling, it has identical labeling & cap but with 19313 date code (Nov 2019) cut/etched into the plastic. I thought maybe I would order another jug in hopes it had a date code, but they’re sold out again. The main reason I would do this would be to see if possibly counterfeit???

Not likely to be counterfeit on Walmarts site if sold and shipped by Walmart. A third party seller would be possible just like Amazon or eBay.

Please read post #35 in this thread:
Castrol still uses Titanium in everything except the API SP version of Euro 5W40.
Are the chart dates inside that link the UOA / VOA dates?
Are the chart dates associated with when the Thread originated?
Are the chart dates associated with the actual oil-bottling date?

Are the chart dates inside that link the UOA / VOA dates?
Are the chart dates associated with when the Thread originated?
Are the chart dates associated with the actual oil-bottling date?
If you click on the VOA (assuming it is one with a blue hyperlink and not plain black text), it will take you to the original VOA post and you can see where the date comes from. I try to use the date that is stamped on the VOA. I have no way of knowing the oil age, but usually there is some discussion about that (along with API rating) when you go to the VOA post.

I’m sure everyone will be fascinated to hear what Walmart.com just shipped to me (SARCASM). Regardless, here it is:

* Qts of Euro 0w30, pink label, no BMW (LL1) cert, made in Belgium, 23201 date code (July 2023) printed as expected. No mention of Titanium on the front label, but “Fluid TITANIUM Technology” on the back label. They did have “Castrol” molded into the caps. I vaguely remember having a quart of this “vintage” resembling this, but it got used up with some older (??) bottles…therefore can’t compare bottles…I have an even older
Yeah amazon and walmart are still shipping the old stock.

IMG_3274.jpeg

I'm surprised they didn't say it was shipped from China or something

I am surprised you don't know this.

When I bought a BMW the first thing I was told was not to run Castrol 5W40. It has the bare minimum HTHS, bare minimum TBN, and high viscosity for a 40 grade due to the use of inferior base stocks.

I have to admit Castrol improved this formulation slightly, but guess what? Other companies are not standing still either and improving their formulations as well.

When I bought a BMW the first thing I was told was not to run Castrol 5W40. It has the bare minimum HTHS, bare minimum TBN, and high viscosity for a 40 grade due to the use of inferior base stocks.

I have to admit Castrol improved this formulation slightly, but guess what? Other companies are not standing still either and improving their formulations as well.
Told by whom? How did they know HTHS and TBN were bare minimum?

If you compare this to the SP rated Mobil 1 0W40, they look nearly identical from a VOA standpoint.

Told by whom? How did they know HTHS and TBN were bare minimum?

If you compare this to the SP rated Mobil 1 0W40, they look nearly identical from a VOA standpoint.

Other BMW owners.

They can compare it to the specs for A3/B3. Min 3.5 HTHS and min 10 TBN.

When you make an oil this thick it should have a HTHS higher than only 3.5.

You are running a thicker oil, getting worse cold performance, and not even getting enhanced hot performance over a 0W30 or 0W40 with the same certs.

The base stocks are simply not as good.

I am surprised you don't know this.

I'm well aware that Castrol 5w-40 is not the "best" but there are not issues running it. It meets the "minimum" spec, so it doesn't matter. These approvals are established for a reason and an oil that's approved is fine to use.

Other BMW owners.

They can compare it to the specs for A3/B3. Min 3.5 HTHS and min 10 TBN.

When you make an oil this thick it should have a HTHS higher than only 3.5.

You are running a thicker oil, getting worse cold performance, and not even getting enhanced hot performance over a 0W30 or 0W40 with the same certs.

The base stocks are simply not as good.
You do realize that Castrol publishes the approval requirements in their PDS, not actual test results. This is why the HT/HS is listed as 3.5, and why it is exactly 3.5.

And as for cold performance between a 5W and a 0W, that's only relevant below -35. What is your starting temperature? Above that temperature the oil with the 0W rating may very well be thicker.

Back