MMO + TCW3 study

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I filled up with Speedway Premium. Previous tank ended up with 29.7 avg mpg. This one will be less--more city driving. Today It threw a code at me while idling in drive thru. P0300 multiple random misfire. I guess besides MAF cleaning I'll check my front spark plugs, they might got some sludge on them again.Next fill up will be Shell premium + TCW3/MMO, then same with Speedway gas. Will continue to monitor timing after same routes.
Photo just in case of non believers.
CIMG0149.jpg

I think I will have to upgrade mine! I like the ability to see 8 gauges per screen.

If the plug is getting fouled, you will need to find if the valve stems are leaking or the spark plug tube seals (does V6 have them?) are leaking.

If the oil control ring or compression ring is shot, you will NOT be getting that kind of mileage. It will be very poor.

- Vikas

I changed plug tube seals with valve cover gaskets this summer. Valve stems are weak spot on those, but even prof. mechanics might refuse to change them. It is very complicated and hard on those engines. And I don't want to dump so much money(it will be expensive too) in this car. I had a plug #1 foiled with piece of sludge literally after use of LM Valve cleaner, it fell off from somewhere.

Last edited:
Spark plugs didn't have any sludge or oil on them. They had some foil, which I scraped off, but nothing terrible. Also foiling is red colored? Is it running to rich or experiments with ethanol or fuel cleaners, and or MMO nad TCW3?
CIMG0154.jpg

I cleaned MAF and sprayed some cleaner in throttle, even dough it looked very clean. Still had UltraGauge alarm after a while with p0171 code (lean). Those alarms usually pop up at idle or sometimes when car was just started and still cold.An they pop up like ones in 2 days.They don't trigger engine light(except ones), but do annoy my Ultra Gauge.
Vacuum leak? O2 sensor? They were replaced a year ago with Bosch or Denso(don't remember), but guaranteed OEM fitment.

You need to look at the freeze frame data or watch the LTFT and STFT on your UltraGauge. Does it have independent O2 sensor for the two banks? If so, see if the two banks track each other. If LTFT/STFT are trending in +20% range and for the the banks, then you have either air leak or bad MAF. Put the MAF reading on your UltraGauge and observe the numbers. Make a screen with MAF, Coolant Temp, STFT/LTFT, timing advance, TPS etc.

Check Engine Light uses two trip logic. The pending code will trip UG but CEL lights up only when pending becomes stored after the two trip logic. If you are immediately resetting after getting the pending code, that will explain not getting CEL.

Where is the red color coming from? Redline dye? MMO dye?? I have never seen that tint on a spark plug and I know I had put lot MMO in my lawn mower at one time.

- Vikas

Last edited:
I haven't use Redline products.
Yes, there is 2 upper sensors and one after cat.
Anyway I don't see any degrade in how engine runs.
P.S. I just found metal gasket that goes between throttle body and intake manifold. I forgot to put it on, after I did cleaning under valve covers in July. Could it cause some air leak there and trigger lean codes and random misfire sometimes?

"MMT Fouled
APPEARANCE: Spark plugs fouled by MMT (Methycyclopentadienyl Maganese Tricarbonyl) have reddish, rusty appearance on the insulator and side electrode.

CAUSE: MMT is an anti-knock additive in gasoline used to replace lead. During the combustion process, the MMT leaves a reddish deposit on the insulator and side electrode.

RECOMMENDATION: No engine malfunction is indicated and the deposits will not affect plug performance any more than lead deposits (see Ash Deposits). MMT fouled plugs can be cleaned, regapped and reinstalled."

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Spark plugs didn't have any sludge or oil on them. They had some foil, which I scraped off, but nothing terrible. Also foiling is red colored?

Has this occurred only since you've added the Ceratec??

No, I just added Ceratec, day ago. I took picture of plug while changing oil same day. Ceratec has nothing do to with it.

Is MMT an additive pre-mixed in the fuel or is it an additive you added into the gas tank? I've never seen spark plug has that red tint when running regular gas.
confused2.gif

That is what I wonder about too. It must be some of fuel system cleaners(Mostly Shell V-power was used since I got car). Or MMO/Kreen/ARX in oil. Car used to literally drink oil.
Last time I looked at spark plugs was July. Till couple days ago I had Maxlife with ARX and MoS2 fill. Mostly used MMO in tank, not cleaners. So It narrows down to ARX, MoS2 and MMO. I also tried some E-85, around 10 gallons during this period.

Last edited:
I've never used ARX; MoS2 is grayish and only MMO is is reddish. My hypothesis is the red tint comes from MMO.

I'll have to check mine in the spring since I just looked at my plugs just before using MMO+TCW3 in late summer. Mine probably won't be red like yours. The mix was more like blue than red, but the blue may not leave any tint. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
So yesterday I filled up with Speedway Premium. Previous tank ended up with 29.7 avg mpg. This one will be less--more city driving. Today It threw a code at me while idling in drive thru. P0300 multiple random misfire. I guess besides MAF cleaning I'll check my front spark plugs, they might got some sludge on them again.Next fill up will be Shell premium + TCW3/MMO, then same with Speedway gas. Will continue to monitor timing after same routes.
Photo just in case of non believers.
CIMG0149.jpg

An instantaneous reading on a car's built in computer means very little. It could be downhill, downwind, and with the foot off the gas to various degrees.
And what is a spark plug 'foil'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back