MMO + TCW3 study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Some manufacturers such as GM stated that 1qt of motor oil consumed per 500 miles is acceptable for a new car (e.g. a Corvette). 1qt consumed per 2000 miles is nominal for regular passenger car, again for a new car. So, your 1oz per 5 gallons is not going to do anything to the cat according to the manufacturers. I did the math in the other TCW3 post if you care to search.

Agree wholeheartedly...

Where's the handshake smiley.

Does this mean that a non TCW3 Two Stroke Oil could be used?

Thanks, Jim

Sure, many have done this for years.
But TCW3 is best - less deposits, less octane reduction [not a real problem], and other heat related benefits.
Why not use the better choice?

I ran standard "2 Cycle Oil" through 2 tanks of fuel, simply so I could "re use" the neat 3.25 oz. dosing bottle of my MMO :p And no problem(s) at all.....I basically put half the bottle in the first tank, and half the bottle into the second tank....next tank, will be full 3.25 oz. of MMO (to equate to 3.25 oz. of MMO to ~10-11 gallons)....a typical "fill up" for me is 10-11 gallons depending when I fuel up.

Couple day ago I got 1q Valvoline multipurpose TCW3. Mixed with about 1/5 q of left over MMO. Will do 200+miles roundtrip tomorrow, with fill up somewhere in the middle. So will add prob. 3 oz, my tank usually fits 16 gallons when I fill up(18.5 by manual).

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
It looks like engine works smoother on idle... added about 3oz with 16 gallons of gas.

I wish you had a ScanGauge II or UltraGauge in order to monitor if it helped with ignition advance.

I may get one,if I will get one, I'll get UltraGauge it's like 1/3 price of ScanGauge. Then connect and hide it in glove box,and forget about it. So no cheating. And drive it like I usually do: fisrt with 2 plain tanks, and then 2 tanks with "my mix" from same Shell or Speedway pump.

Last edited:
ltslimjim: just ordered one. Read reviews about on WRX and so on forums it--sound like really cool, useful device. Get one too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure yet, but seems some hwy vibration between 70-80 mph, that I was referring to tire balance are gone too. But will tell for sure after comparison.

Leaving it in the glove box will *not* help. It does *not* save any information on the live parameters. If you want to know timing advance, you have to watch the UltraGauge all the time.

frown.gif
thought it saves info.

Got my UltraGauge today. Seems a fun toy.It found 46 gauges. I was in rush to go to work, so just plugged it in, choose tank capacity and took of to work, one hwy got jammed because of roadwork and closed bridge, so took longer route even more in hurry. Averaged 32 mpg, not bad at all.
On smoke break I set it up to show MPH, Engine load,Timing,Air intake temp,Instant MPG, Average MPG, MAF sensor, and engine temp.
So I will record engine load and Timing when I come home, when engine will be hot. Next 2 tanks-- plain premium gas, Then 2 with TCW3/MMO mix.

Last edited:
So, hot engine idle load is around 12.5 percent(AC off, lights on)and can go up and down by 0.3. Timing stays around 22 and can go up and down by 2.

Is this on V6 Camry? Which year?

Also note that some of the guages are computed by the device and some are reported by the car.

Did you upload the gauge list to their website to get your $10 rebate yet? If yes, does it show up in their list of the supported vehicles? Did you buy the one with extra gauges (the metric model)?

Smoke break? You need to stop smoking :-(

- Vikas

Yes, it is 99 v6 Camry. And yes, it is metric model( temperatures in C make more sense to me) with extra stuff. No, I didn't do any rebate, I just got it and don't have time yet.

UltraGauge caught trouble code this morning. P0171 lean code bank 1. No engine light. I guess MAF got dirty, I used K&N drop in filter for more than 6 month, and MAf was cleaned before K&N went in. Sensor looked oily when I dropped in fram filter. I had some lean codes before, but I think they were different ones and they thew engine light, due my experiments with e-85. So far gauges read the same as mentioned before. I finished previous tank(about 1/4- 1/5) with 28,7 mpg. This one is only 1/4 down and 30.00mpg so far on average.

How is your oil consumption now? 30 mpg is GREAT for that 3.0 V6 engine! The only way I can even come close to that mileage in my Maxima 3.0 V6 engine if I religiously keep under 65mph ALL the time!

Is your mileage real (calculated at the gas pump) or displayed on your UltraGauge?

With the UltraGauge, watch the STFT and LTFT parameters along with the MAF and MAP. Keep one screen dedicated for that. You should be able to see that both banks are trending towards lean if the MAF is culprit (which you already know). It is a great training device if you want to learn.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
How is your oil consumption now? 30 mpg is GREAT for that 3.0 V6 engine! The only way I can even come close to that mileage in my Maxima 3.0 V6 engine if I religiously keep under 65mph ALL the time!

Is your mileage real (calculated at the gas pump) or displayed on your UltraGauge?

With the UltraGauge, watch the STFT and LTFT parameters along with the MAF and MAP. Keep one screen dedicated for that. You should be able to see that both banks are trending towards lean if the MAF is culprit (which you already know). It is a great training device if you want to learn.

- Vikas
Consumption is greatly reduced. My oci is getting close to the end 4000 miles. It think I've used max 2.5 qt of oil, that's including oil filter swap. Also I added that delvac from same jug to my stepmother's VW TDI, that why I'm not really sure on number. Car used more oil in the begining of OCI, last gas fill up I checked oil level and it was just a little under max mark. And I fill up usually ones in 2 weeks. 30 mpg is from gauge. I set it up as 3.0 lilter (rounded to bigger number) and tank as 18.5 gallons (as factory says) Last fill up was little above 17 gallons, so I think it is right, empty light just came on( I usually don't keep down to that level, and filled up around 16 gallons most time). My long hwy trip before with about 35 mile of mountainous roads came out little more than 34 mpg calculated by hand, with ac on full and going 75 mph most time.
I don't drive like grandma, exactly if I'm running late to work I drive up to 85 if I can, I the chilly mornings when I go home, I'm trying to go around 60 until car coolant warms up, then 70 since there is no rush. Rain--no more than 65. And I to leave car running if I stop to get cigs. Gauge showed 29.9 when I pulled to work, didn't look at short trip average. Last Monday I went to visit buddy at his cottage 40 miles out of city, going on 2 lane nice country roads up to 65 mph and then tight twisty roads, I had 34 average for short trip.
Yeah I guess I will add those gauges. My main screen has MAF ,Intake temp, rpm, engine load,inst mpg, avg mpg, timing and mph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back