MK7 Golf R Stage 2 Oil Selection

Hello, new to form and was curious about what others are using for oil in there tuned golf r's. I have down a lot of reading on here and opinions appear to be mixed. I live in Canada where it can go from -40c in the winter to +40c in the summer. I have been using motul 8100 excess gen 2 5w40. From what I read castrol 0w40 would be a good choice and would be of benefit for cold starts being in Canada. Although the car is tuned I don't track it. Little spirited driving here and there nothing extreme. Anyone use 0w40 year round or would 5w40 still be a better choice for the hotter months? Thx in advance.

Hello, new to form and was curious about what others are using for oil in there tuned golf r's. I have down a lot of reading on here and opinions appear to be mixed. I live in Canada where it can go from -40c in the winter to +40c in the summer. I have been using motul 8100 excess gen 2 5w40. From what I read castrol 0w40 would be a good choice and would be of benefit for cold starts being in Canada. Although the car is tuned I don't track it. Little spirited driving here and there nothing extreme. Anyone use 0w40 year round or would 5w40 still be a better choice for the hotter months? Thx in advance.
Castrol 0W40 would be excellent.
So would this:

Awesome thx for the reply. The motul has done well but the castrol 0w40 I can get cheaper and appears to be a very good oil. Thx again.

A Euro 0W40 should cover you w/r to temps where you are and offer all the protection you need. Stage 1, 2, 4.55667 or otherwise. You've added some power and most tuned MK7s are just running the popular/standard 0/5W40s that everyone runs on these cars b/c it's not pushing that car that much that you need anything else, even for the track.

I know what -40F is like for VW's. I would get a synthetic that has Group IV/V prominently in its recipe and meets approval/licensed. That may exclude some choices.

Welcome to the forum. Personally I prefer running VW 504 00 (instead of VW
502 00 or even 508 00) on my Mk7 GTI and I'd do the same if I'd live in Canada.
VW 504 00 allows for 0W-30 and 5W-30 (alternatively VW 511 00 > 0W-40 or
5W-40 but harder to obtain). I'd bet X-30 is plenty for Canadian summers.

You want to check this anyway:

Yes, that is good suggestion. In Canadian winter, I would definitely run Motul X-Clean 0W30 EF or Mobil1 ESP 0W30.

Thanks for the suggestion..I will have to take a read through this for sure. Much appreciated.

Ya it's fine. I'm in Canada, Ive used both 0w40 and 5w40 year round in a mk7 gti. I do try to time it for the season if I can but don't go out of my way for it. If you're really concerned about cold starts it's super easy and not at all expensive to swap the plastic oil pan for a steel one, then you can slap an oil pan heater on it.

Last edited:
Back