Mitsubishi to stop US production, close IL plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm not so sure about that. I had a 2011 Galant as a rental. It was bad. It was the worst designed, worst built new car that I'd driven, using the absolutely cheapest materials that could be found.

Same experience here. In 2013 in Phoenix, I rented a 2011 or 2012 Galant, and OMG, I thought I was back in the 80's driving one of the old X-Body GM cars (Chevy Citation, Olds Ciera) !!! Seriously a bad car. Driveable of course.
One good thing about it: If slightly used Galants are VERY cheap, it does make a good value, since nobody wants one. They stopped making them 3 years ago.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
Why did they let the Galant just die (04+)? Making your bread and butter re-design a real underwhelming piece then letting it rot on the vine was just absolutely asinine. Seriously someone was passed out at the wheel at Mitsubishi N.A.

A mystery.

Last edited:
Absolute worst truck i ever had. Was total garbage and things that never break on other brands broke on my Mitsubishi like the floor around the body mounts and the crankshaft @44k. I say let mits drop from the u.s. market.

IWhy did they let the Galant just die (04+)? Making your bread and butter re-design a real underwhelming piece then letting it rot on the vine was just absolutely asinine. Seriously someone was passed out at the wheel at Mitsubishi N.A.

Here's your answer. It is very difficult to compete with the Accord and the Camry. Ford and Chevy struggle to do it everyday. Then you add in the Sonata, which is built in a recently built plant in Alabama, and then add in the Optima and the 6 as well.

I did like their Endeavor SUV, although its gone. Great rear suspension geometry.

280px-2004-2005_Mitsubishi_Endeavor_--_03-11-2011.jpg

...Gone, just like the other model of Mitsu I always liked:

BEL7407-P-40N-NL85104-A6M-3-Model-22-Zero-NX712Z-left-side-in-flight-l-326x159.jpg

The handwriting was on the wall years ago. I had a VR-4 1999 and sold it in 2013 because no one wanted to service it, except for the dealer, and every time I went to the dealer not only did the showrooms never have any people in them (due to poor designs and other factors) but the service bays were not busy either. Sort of saw it coming. So when the only dealer in town went belly up and service transferred to a Kia dealer I said it was time to sell, future maintenance was going to be a nightmare.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving marque.
smile.gif

+1 for the above comment. I wish they would pull out of the US market entirely.

Is Bloomington IL the only place they make the Outlander Sport for the US? This is odd because the latest Outlander Sport is totally re-vamped and all new. Totally different from the Outlander, which I believe is also brand-new.

The situation is eerily similar to the Isuzu US pull-out back in 2004. They didn't market the brand and it fizzled away. The later model Rodeos and Troopers we had in the family were some of the best vehicles we've owned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Mitsubishi has huge potential in the 4WD market, and they are pretty big in that segment in places like Australia and the Middle East. Unfortunately, this is not a big segment in the North American market. To clarify, for the average American customer, 4WD is something they like to have as "backup" in bad whether conditions and technology is so much relied upon to cover a lack of skill. Elsewhere, people actually take these vehicles off the road to some extreme conditions. Yes, the Jeep Wrangler is a popular vehicle in the U.S. for the likes of mudding and rock crawling, but that's not the segment the Japanese are targeting for their 4WDs, and this particular segment isn't as big as other markets. Anyone who says otherwise can tell me how many Land Cruisers Toyota sells in the U.S., compared to the likes of something like the Sequoia or 4Runner. Nissan also isn't selling their Patrol in North America either.

Vehicles like the Land Cruiser, Patrol and Pajero are geared more towards off road use and, although a lot more luxurious than previous generations with better on road manners, they're not really the first choice for everyday driving compared to something like a Sequoia or a Suburban. They have some of the best heavy duty suspension offerings around, but they ride harsh, their turning radius is wide and they were not engineered to be highway cruisers. Soccer moms look elsewhere. That right there explains why the Montero/Pajero was pulled out of the USDM, which was their strongest attribute.

Mitsubishi is capable of producing decent cars, but like many other manufacturers, they are not perfect. People quite often point out those oil burning Mitsubishis, but forget other manufacturers, particularly domestic, shoot themselves in the foot with cost cutting. Ford's two thread spark plug holes and nylon timing chain tensioners on the 4.6L, IMO, were a lot worse than bad valve stem seals on a 6G72.

That being said, their vehicles lack market appeal in North America for one reason or another. Their products are not exactly [censored] either - the brakes on the Lancer are a lot better than the Corolla IMO. I don't know if it's because of things like "refinement", marketing or simply costlier spare parts. Hyundai is pushing hard, but it seems there's a lot of brand loyalty that's hindering their efforts. Before going to CA, I have never in my life seen so many Toyotas and Hondas. When the rental company didn't have the Suburban I wanted, I wanted what they referred to as a "full-size" (mid size) and asked for an Impala over a Camry/Accord. The manager "couldn't understand why anyone would want an Impala".
Nor can I, especially if you want to keep it a long time.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm not so sure about that. I had a 2011 Galant as a rental. It was bad. It was the worst designed, worst built new car that I'd driven, using the absolutely cheapest materials that could be found.

Same experience here. In 2013 in Phoenix, I rented a 2011 or 2012 Galant, and OMG, I thought I was back in the 80's driving one of the old X-Body GM cars (Chevy Citation, Olds Ciera) !!! Seriously a bad car. Driveable of course.
One good thing about it: If slightly used Galants are VERY cheap, it does make a good value, since nobody wants one. They stopped making them 3 years ago.

Why did they let the Galant just die (04+)? Making your bread and butter re-design a real underwhelming piece then letting it rot on the vine was just absolutely asinine. Seriously someone was passed out at the wheel at Mitsubishi N.A.

A mystery.
Why has Generous Motors left so MANY cars to die?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
I did like their Endeavor SUV, although its gone. Great rear suspension geometry.

280px-2004-2005_Mitsubishi_Endeavor_--_03-11-2011.jpg

...Gone, just like the other model of Mitsu I always liked:

BEL7407-P-40N-NL85104-A6M-3-Model-22-Zero-NX712Z-left-side-in-flight-l-326x159.jpg

Many of the Zero Sen used Nakijima engines. MItsu apparently couldn't make a good engine even then.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: splinter
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving marque.
smile.gif

+1 for the above comment. I wish they would pull out of the US market entirely.
Why do you want to deny the rest of us buying choices, are you some sort of consumer czar? Do you lie awake nights worried about the Outlander?

I owned several Dodge (and Plymouth) Colts in my younger days....they were Mitsubishi made and great little cars.

I would buy a used Lancer or Galant in a minute but it would have to be a killer deal for me to buy a new one.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Mitsubishi USA sales were up 32% in June - compared to 2014. Their YTD sales through June are up 25% - 49,500 total vehicles sold. They aren't leaving the USA anytime soon.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/07/june-2015-usa-auto-sales-brand-results15.html

It's just a matter of time.
Mitsubishi dealerships are closing.I don't think sales/leases of under 100K units per year can keep a auto manufacturer afloat in the US.Especially with big discounts and incentives.
Dealerships also need a busy service area to survive.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Illinois is becoming less and less accomidating to both businesses and taxpayers.
Both have been leaving for greener pastures.

Illinois is NOT, NOT a "Right to Work" state!!! Not to mention that Caterpillar, Southwire, Airtex, etc. are either leaving or not building anything here....

Looks like soon Illinoians will be working in Missouri or Indiana. A few companies are HIRING and expanding, HOWEVER they are having a hard time FILLING ENTRY LEVEL POSISITONS!! We even used staffing agencies. Put up banners and advertise everywhere in the county.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back