48 month Mitsubishi Outlander lease... Not so sure about that.

I just saw an advertisement for a 48 month Mitsubishi Outlander lease.

1596475983023.png

Not even considering the pros and cons of leasing... I'm just looking at taking out a 4 year lease on a vehicle from a manufacturer who may not even have a presence in the US in 2024. At this point, I think the odds of Mitsu being in the US in 4 years time, is next to zero.

If Mitsu leaves the US, would the lease get "called in", and there be a demand for the vehicle be returned within XX amount of days? If there's no dealer network left, and no dealer service departments left... ??? Would they farm out the warranty work to a third party? Such as a Pep Boys?

This is not like Pontiac or Mercury, where there was still a GM or Ford to continue to provide support to the customer.

I still remember the day that it was announced that the Diamond Star Motors (Mitsubishi) plant in Normal, IL would be closed. I was actually driving to Bloomington-Normal, and heard it on the radio while driving down I-55. However, it wasn't surprising. It was just a bit of a shock that they'd finally pulled the plug.

Last edited:
The lease would be handled by a bank or other financial outfit. The Mitsubishi Bank is not in the US. You would be liable no matter what.

I am a fan of Mitsu and have owned two but I would not buy one today. Too much uncertainty.

If Mitsu leaves the US, would the lease get "called in", and there be a demand for the vehicle be returned within XX amount of days? If there's no dealer network left, and no dealer service departments left... ??? Would they farm out the warranty work to a third party? Such as a Pep Boys?
My guess is, as part of their exit strategy, they'll sell off all these existing lease agreements (along with assets (cars) tied to them) to the highest bidder, or Ally will hold onto them until their maturity. I doubt you'd be required to turn in your lease early, although they may give you that option. They'll also cut a deal with another vehicle manufacturer with an existing dealer network, to manage lease returns and to provide warranty work. As part of that deal, some of the existing Mitsubishi mechanics will go work for this other manufacturer's dealer service departments, ensuring they have the required expertise to work on these cars. Expect some bumps in the road if you do end up leasing one.

If Mitsubishi abandons the US market the prices of existing stock will plummet. That's the time to pick up a new Outlander. I have a '14 model with the V6 and it has been absolutely reliable. They are pretty good vehicles.

Suzuki left our market, right? What did they do? I'm guessing they had to sell (buy?) or otherwise transfer support to some third party, for spare parts, support and whatnot.

I just saw an advertisement for a 48 month Mitsubishi Outlander lease.

View attachment 26241

Not even considering the pros and cons of leasing... I'm just looking at taking out a 4 year lease on a vehicle from a manufacturer who may not even have a presence in the US in 2024. At this point, I think the odds of Mitsu being in the US in 4 years time, is next to zero.

This is not like Pontiac or Mercury, where there was still a GM or Ford to continue to provide support to the customer.

I still remember the day that it was announced that the Diamond Star Motors (Mitsubishi) plant in Normal, IL would be closed. I was actually driving to Bloomington-Normal, and heard it on the radio while driving down I-55. However, it wasn't surprising. It was just a bit of a shock that they'd finally pulled the plug.

So-it's a lease. At the end of 4 years it will have 48,000ish miles if you drive the average. They leave the U.S. Sorry-if you turn the car back in I don't see a downside.

Reactions: JTK
Suzuki left our market, right? What did they do? I'm guessing they had to sell (buy?) or otherwise transfer support to some third party, for spare parts, support and whatnot.

I guess Suzuki was the last one, who left the US market completely. I forgot about it, for now obvious reasons.

Just because the manufacturer no longer sells in the US doesn't mean the dealer's go away.

Heck, there's still a SAAB dealer right here in the Twin Cities. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to still get parts for them, and they don't even EXIST anymore! Anyone buying a Mitsu won't have any trouble getting service for a long time.

If the lease terms are what you're after and you like the vehicle, I also see nothing wrong with this 48mo lease. You might need to toss on a cheap set of pads and rotors and new tires though.

As far as how/where you turn it in or buy it out, that's up to the bank. No need for dealer intervention at all.

Mistu is releasing new versions of almost all their models in the next 2 years in the US. Doesn't sound like a manufacturer that plans on bailing.

Mitsu's are all over around here and everyone I know that has one is happy with it. Other than warranty work, I'd not be concerned even if they pulled out of the US, independent shops will have no problem patching them up for many years. JMO.

How much down ? You can get an AWD crv LX trim for that usually around here

if it’s 0 down it’s not a terrible price unless it’s an absolute POS at the dealer all the time then no price is a good value

Back