Math Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The velociraptor spots you 40m away and attacks, accelerating at 4m/s^2 to its top speed of 25 m/s. You flee, instantly reaching your top speed of 6 m/s.

How far can you get before you are devoured and how long do you have to live.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The velociraptor spots you 40m away and attacks, accelerating at 4m/s^2 to its top speed of 25 m/s. You flee, instantly reaching your top speed of 6 m/s.

How long does the raptor need to from 0 to 25 m/s?

top speed
---------------- = 6.25 => raptor needs 6.25 seconds to reach his top speed.
acceleration

How far can I run in 6.25 seconds?

6.25 x 6 = 37.5 => I can run 37.5 meters

The raptor is 40 meters behind me whem I start running. How far am I from the raptorr after 6.25 seconds of running?

40 m + 37.5 m = 77.5 => I am 77.5 m away from the raptor by the time I reach top speed. The raptor will clearly reach me before 77.5 meters, and someone else can do the rest of the calculations, which for me, who just got eaten, are irrelevant. Death took my will to do math. Also, raptors are pack hunters and very likely another one or two will cut me off. Remember great white hunter Mr. Muldoon and his famous last words? "Clever girl!"
grin2.gif

Well, all I need to survive a bitey raptor I learned from the movies. Facing three raptors, you urgently need a deus ex machina for salvation, or on a rare occasion a crafty boy with a few smoke grenades and a nearby hideout may do.

By thew way the raptor problem reminds me of a joke I play on people that go hiking with me out in the desert. I always tell them there are cougars and packs of coyotes maybe wolves and bears that may attack when hungry. Then I tell them not to worry, because they don't even have to outrun the predators. They only have to outrun me. Which means they are doomed.
grin2.gif

Some friends and neighbors of ours got orders to Anchorage, AK. The wife is always going on about bears. I keep telling her that when she goes running, she only needs to run faster than her husband or son.

Some friends and neighbors of ours got orders to Anchorage, AK. The wife is always going on about bears. I keep telling her that when she goes running, she only needs to run faster than her husband or son.

Exactly. Whenever out and about in a group, make sure you are not the weakest or slowest among them. Invite unsuspecting Wheezy to come along for some fun.
wink.gif

Do I subtract the time required to soil my pants?

Originally Posted By: BRZED

How long does the raptor need to from 0 to 25 m/s?

top speed
---------------- = 6.25 => raptor needs 6.25 seconds to reach his top speed.
acceleration

How far can I run in 6.25 seconds?

6.25 x 6 = 37.5 => I can run 37.5 meters

The raptor is 40 meters behind me whem I start running. How far am I from the raptor after 6.25 seconds of running?

40 m + 37.5 m = 77.5 => I am 77.5 m away from the raptor by the time I reach top speed. The raptor will clearly reach me before 77.5 meters, and someone else can do the rest of the calculations, which for me, who just got eaten, are irrelevant. Death took my will to do math. Also, raptors are pack hunters and very likely another one or two will cut me off. Remember great white hunter Mr. Muldoon and his famous last words? "Clever girl!"
grin2.gif

BRZED, you're correct - After 6.25 s, the velociraptor (VR for short) hits its top speed of 25 m/s and has covered 78.125 m. And, if the VR had not been there, you (would have) covered 37.5 m. Add in the 40 m initial separation, and after 6.25 s you would have been 77.5 m away from the VR's starting position. BUT, you never made it. So, you're right, the VR's top speed is moot - he never reaches it.

So digging back several decades ...

distance between you and the VR = D, in m

D0 = your initial distance away from the VR, in m

V1 = your speed away from VR (increasing D), in m/s

V2 = VR's speed toward you (decreasing D), in m/s

A = VR's acceleration in m/s^2

T = elapsed time in seconds

So, D = D0 + V1*T - V2*T

D = D0 + V1T - 0.5*A*T^2 (V = 1/2 AT)

D = 40 m + (6 m/s * T) - 0.5(4 m/s^2)T^2

Dropping the units ...

D = 40 + 6T - 2T^2

We want to know what T is when D = 0, so ...

0 = 40 + 6T - 2T^2

2T^2 = 6T + 40

T^2 = 3T + 20

T^2 - 3T - 20 = 0

OK, if Mr XKCD were a nice guy, he would have set this up such that it would factor nicely ...

Unfortunately, it doesn't. If it did, either term could be set to zero, with one yielding a negative time which could be discarded.

Anyway, resorting to the calculator and plugging in successively closer numbers, VR would catch you after approximately 6.2175 s, shortly before he would have hit his top speed.

Oh well, it's raining this evening ... couldn't have gotten much done outside anyway!

Yep, I did the very same thing on a wintery day, working out the problem.

I ended up putting it in a spreadsheet to bracket in on the value.

I recall going back and forth with my dad on facebook on this problem. He too is an engineer, but for some reason, wasn't getting the right set of equations.

I don't remember much from freshman physics, but I do remember the displacement formulas.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Exactly. Whenever out and about in a group, make sure you are not the weakest or slowest among them. Invite unsuspecting Wheezy to come along for some fun.
wink.gif

unsuspecting Wheezy might be carying a gun to shoot one of the faster runners in case of emergency
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
unsuspecting Wheezy might be carying a gun to shoot one of the faster runners in case of emergency
smile.gif

Professional large game hunter Muldoon, an amateur dentist, had a little howitzer that didn't save him. I doubt Wheezy could carry or lift that gun, never mind hit a raptor at full gallop with it.
grin2.gif

tmb_5695_480.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back