Manual Trans are Disappearing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I've had the manual transmission vehicles I've owned was because of price and availability. My 2014 Subaru for example. It was on the lot, in a price range I wanted to pay and color/options I could live with. I prefer basic when it comes to vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Not a lot of things that can go wrong with a MT and unless you are borderline retarded the most you can do is fry the clutch, not a big deal since the kits are quite cheap and any grease monkey can replace it.

AT on the other hand...if the SHTF...you can bend over and throw your wallet onto the table.
Sure, changing a clutch in a front wheel drive is a piece of cake. I've put a lot of miles on manuals, including about 400K on a SAAB 900 and I enjoy it, but I have had clutch masters, slaves and throw out bearings fail on Saabs and Volvos, and rear main seal drips oil a clutch, but my current Toyota has 330,000 miles on it's automatic with just fluid changes. Even the loathsome Borg Warner 3 speed in a Saab my wife drove was trouble free, if a slug. BTW a lot of "lazy" Americans ride motorcycles, not many autoshifting bikes out there. There's a difference between the famous Volvo M 40 with the shifter sticking out of the tranny (until the 240 which used rods) and a front wheel drive with a bunch of cables running where ever up front.
BTW there isn't much in the way of heavy construction equipment today without a torque converter in the driveline.
My thought, it's harder to abuse an automatic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Not a lot of things that can go wrong with a MT and unless you are borderline retarded the most you can do is fry the clutch, not a big deal since the kits are quite cheap and any grease monkey can replace it.

AT on the other hand...if the SHTF...you can bend over and throw your wallet onto the table.
Sure, changing a clutch in a front wheel drive is a piece of cake. I've put a lot of miles on manuals, including about 400K on a SAAB 900 and I enjoy it, but I have had clutch masters, slaves and throw out bearings fail on Saabs and Volvos, and rear main seal drips oil a clutch, but my current Toyota has 330,000 miles on it's automatic with just fluid changes. Even the loathsome Borg Warner 3 speed in a Saab my wife drove was trouble free, if a slug. BTW a lot of "lazy" Americans ride motorcycles, not many autoshifting bikes out there. There's a difference between the famous Volvo M 40 with the shifter sticking out of the tranny (until the 240 which used rods) and a front wheel drive with a bunch of cables running where ever up front.
BTW there isn't much in the way of heavy construction equipment today without a torque converter in the driveline.
My thought, it's harder to abuse an automatic.

And don't forget many old schoolers automatically make a deduction for trade on a manual, versus the slushbox. Obviously not on special interest cars.

But I agree the slushbox makes it much harder to abuse the engine and driveline...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Here we go-another manual transmission thread where all of the manual transmission chest-thumpers come out in droves, as if driving a manual requires any sort of special skill or advanced knowledge. It really doesn't-even my 60-something wife drove our manual Subaru until we sold it last winter.

Driving a modern, dumbed down manual transmission is no more difficult than driving an automatic-it is just a slightly different skill. Yet I'm willing to bet that the majority of those touting their superior driving skills with a manual wouldn't have the first idea of how to drive a real manual, something not synchronized and with twin sticks perhaps. Or something non-synchronised with 13 or 18 gears, or even a little 5 & 2.

Got my CDL on a Spicer 5+2 (my first bus had one, along with manual steering) and have driven 9 and 13-speed Road Rangers and a Meritor 10. Also driven a 3-speed on the column. My work truck is an Eaton 6-speed.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This will come as a blasphemy to most of you; even I was shocked at myself but hear me out.

I just drove a beautiful 6-speed manual transmission Acura TL. It was immaculate, inside and out. I had fun test driving it but when I sat back in my automatic TL, I did not miss the manual 6-speed at all.

The manual 6-speed, the top gear was way too high. If I were to purchase that car, I would forget that the car has 6-th gear and would just drive as if it were a 5-speed manual.

Obviously, some of the difference was the power difference between the 2 different generation Acura TL but regardless, current automatic are good enough that I no longer miss the manual 6-speed transmission. Heck, my automatic downshifts on me whole slowing down and uses engine braking!

Honestly...i like that. It sounds like the T56...6th is DOUBLE overdrive, for CAFE numbers. (The last F-body I was in, a 6-speed SS, was running only about 2000RPM at 80MPH.)

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: quint
Olas said:
I think treason people hate on automatics in these threads is because of how slow they are to react.

Are you serious? Have you driven an automatic built in the last 25 years? Or even recently?

A Honda crv and a Jag x type this year, an Audi A6, an X5 and a E39 last year.
In every single one of them, you experience a distinct delay between matting the throttle and accelerating.

I wonder how much of that is due to the DBW throttle programming.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
This will come as a blasphemy to most of you; even I was shocked at myself but hear me out.

I just drove a beautiful 6-speed manual transmission Acura TL. It was immaculate, inside and out. I had fun test driving it but when I sat back in my automatic TL, I did not miss the manual 6-speed at all.

The manual 6-speed, the top gear was way too high. If I were to purchase that car, I would forget that the car has 6-th gear and would just drive as if it were a 5-speed manual.

Obviously, some of the difference was the power difference between the 2 different generation Acura TL but regardless, current automatic are good enough that I no longer miss the manual 6-speed transmission. Heck, my automatic downshifts on me whole slowing down and uses engine braking!

Honestly...i like that. It sounds like the T56...6th is DOUBLE overdrive, for CAFE numbers. (The last F-body I was in, a 6-speed SS, was running only about 2000RPM at 80MPH.)

+1 It would be nice to have that super tall gear for pulling some good mileage when the conditions are right. Far too many manuals have a top gear that is far too short for good mileage, or even good highway manners.

My S2000 top gear is way too low, engine is spinning 4400-4500 RPM at 80 MPH. I wish it is a little higher, about 20-30% higher will be better.

Modern auto's are so good I wouldn't buy a manual.

I'd only take a manual if it was a deal or a rare car. Like a Ferrari 355, the auto's at that time sucked.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Many automotive manufactures don't have manual transmission available for most models, some even don't have any manual transmission at all. Only few manufactures have manual transmission for some models, Honda is one of those few and only with some Accord and Civic trim levels.

The reason is manual sold less than 5% of total vehicles in 2014, cost of certify manual car is high and volume is so low, such that car manufactures just drop it.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/question-of-the-day-why-do-people-buy-manual-124248577082.html

For the most part manual transmission popularity began declining around 1950/1951 when automatic trans started being installed in the low priced three(Chevy, Ford, Plymouth)... Read somewhere that by 1950 only 2% of Cadillac vehicles had a manual and most of those were incomplete units to be modified into ambulances or other service vehicles...

Sure there was some resurgence in certain times like the '60 when the muscle car ERA came to be and again in the '80s when 5.0 Stangs were all the rage, but sooner or later they'll be like dodo birds..

Pretty much, even in the 30's the high end cars had what was called a "pre selector" transmission which allowed you to shift without depressing the clutch.

In the 20's having a very powerful engine that didn't require shifting was considered ideal. IE being able to leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear which at the time would be top from 5mph to 40. A proper luxury car like a Duesenberg or Packard could do that.

People have hated shifting forever.

Here we go-another manual transmission thread where all of the manual transmission chest-thumpers come out in droves, as if driving a manual requires any sort of special skill or advanced knowledge. It really doesn't-even my 60-something wife drove our manual Subaru until we sold it last winter.

Driving a modern, dumbed down manual transmission is no more difficult than driving an automatic-it is just a slightly different skill. Yet I'm willing to bet that the majority of those touting their superior driving skills with a manual wouldn't have the first idea of how to drive a real manual, something not synchronized and with twin sticks perhaps. Or something non-synchronised with 13 or 18 gears, or even a little 5 & 2.

Those old twin stick Mack's are a PITA. Around here we "brag" about being able to afford modern trucks with automatics, good AC, and sound proofing!

Give me a modern truck any day of the week.

Only cheap old farts buy stick trucks, or owners who hate their drivers; the modern auto's are great!

Last edited:
I like manuals. It has a skill attached to it . Though autos are nice. The home fleet has 1 auto,1 manual.All I want these days is reliability and a good AC the rest I can work with. My son has a Toyota 4X4 with a stick and my daughter has a Ford with an auto. I am in the market for a new p/u Still and actually it doesn't matter auto or stick won't make a difference. I have done the 9,10 ,13 speed Road Rangers with ease [they are pretty much the same] and the 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end but never a 2 stick [thank goodness] The wifes Superduty has a manual she love it! Tows the daughters and her horsies to places ride .

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Those old twin stick Mack's are a PITA. Around here we "brag" about being able to afford modern trucks with automatics, good AC, and sound proofing!

Give me a modern truck any day of the week.

Only cheap old farts buy stick trucks, or owners who hate their drivers; the modern auto's are great!

I prefer a standard in a work truck...especially considering the dreadful "Ultrashifts" I have been stuck with. (I just wish my truck had more than six gears.)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I am 62 is that an old [censored]?? And I would prefer being called thrifty instead of cheap!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

my wife is seeking her next ride and unfortunately choices are quite limited with manual transmission vehicles.

The contenders are Golf Sportwagen tdi 6mt and accord sport 6mt. Not much that is affordable out there. 25 years she has only had manual transmissions and does not want an auto. She likes the control.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The contenders are Golf Sportwagen tdi 6mt and accord sport 6mt.

Throw in a GTI in there, too. It's almost as practical as the Sportwagen, and possibly more fun.

Speaking of affordable, I think Hyundai Elantra hatch can be had with a manual trans as well.

I know each person is different. I have over 5 million miles logged dealing with manual transmissions in semi trucks. I dearly love driving my 2015 Siverado 2500HD with an automatic when I am out of the semi. And I am seriously considering spec'ing a Allison TC-10 automatic when it comes time to buy another semi truck. Dealing with 18 gears every work day during the week, especially in heavy metro traffic, time has come to take advantage of technology and move on. No more clutches, no more playing the shifting game.

Interesting how things play out. In Europe, folks like manuals in their cars and the majority of commercial trucks have automated transmissions. In the U.S., most autos and pickups have automatics and the commercial trucks are primarily manuals. Talk about role reversals!

. Have you seen my video?

Originally Posted By: horse123
Good. Screw them. Automatic transmissions are much faster and more useful.

But to some people, like me, they just aren't as much fun. For my daily driver I prefer automatic, but for my fun car I always want it to be a manual. To me there is nothing quite like rowing the gears or letting out the clutch, those are two things that a paddle shifting automatic will not allow me.

I'm sad that Ferrari and Lamborghini no longer offer a true manual trans. Every year I take a half hour drive in an exotic car from a local place here, and this year I drove a paddle shifted Ferrari F430 and it just wasn't as fun as the previous three years when I drove manual trans versions of the Gallardo, Murcielago and 360 Spyder.

I'm thankful the Corvette still comes in a manual but I know someday they'll probably eliminate that too. When that happens, I'll buy the very last year of the true manual Corvette and that will be my keeper for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back