Z

Attachments

• 5B25B962-58F8-410C-BD83-FE37B7C4E863.jpg
    5B25B962-58F8-410C-BD83-FE37B7C4E863.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
I use the Fumoto drain plug:

Z

Is it a magnetic plug?

I like them as another 'gauge' if you will; another way to monitor the engine.
Short of cutting open an examining the filter, which many of this crowd do,
or a chip detector it is the only easy way to see if an engine is making metal.

Great point. (y)

Regarding transmissions, every automatic and manual transmission
I've had had a magnet built-in. You just can't access and inspect it, so
a magnetic drain plug still makes sense. It'll still catch enough ferrous
debris to compare on every OC.
Regarding Gold Plug, Dimple, ECS etc. I'm missing exact data provided.
When I make my own and by the magnets I do know what the magnets
are made drom, what temperature they're rated, how strong the are and
what glue I'm using. Too many unknowns for my taste when buying the
aforementioned ones.

Yes, I bought the Votex as well, two in fact. Especially in aluminium gear casings it's highly desirable that the magnet stays in place, so quality counts. In an engine a loose magnet will quickly find a harmless ferrous surface. In a gearbox, well, I don't even want to think about it ...

Some cheaper magnetic plugs are aluminium with glued magnets and I'd be concerned about the differential thermal expansion cycling the glue when used in an engine. Ideally the magnet should be lightly crimped in place in a mild steel plug, generally the choice of OEM.

IMG_1625.jpeg

No, I ditched my magnetic plug(s) in favor of the Fumoto. Magnets on the oil filter are more efficient than on the drain plug if one wants to trap ferrous material.

Z
who makes oil filters that are magnetic?

I use the magnetic plug on my transmission on the 2005 Civic. It has no transmission filter to change. The drain plug always has some debris on it. I change out 3 liters of ATF every other year. Seems to have worked for me. I don't have one on the oil. I installed a Fumoto on my 2021 Kia K5. There is no ATF drain bolt on the K5.

Pointless snake oil type device. There is no empirical data to support that they do anything.

The only positive thing I've ever heard is "they don't hurt".

Whoopee!!!

Waste of time. If they helped the car manufactures would of put them in.
Do they make a significant difference? Probably not, and let's remember that manufacturers really only care about vehicles lasting through warranty.

I think they aren't a bad idea for systems without filters such as a gear case, splash lubed small engine, or differential. If we are being honest though, finding a loaded up magnet when we pull the drain plug probably means we have bigger issues anyway.

Back