Magnetic Drain Plugs?

I imagine they help a little, or at least can't hurt.
I have to wonder, are there any cars that come from the factory with a magnetic oil drain plug?
Yes. That would be very interesting to find out.

I use dimple magnetic drain plugs their website is probably dimple dot-com something like that use in my Volvo by Toyota truck my Moto Guzzi motorcycles yes they are worth it and a great piece of mind

Tom

I think all my cars have them. Never really thought about it. Filter should catch that stuff. I am sure it doesn't hurt.

I just found out about magnetic drain plugs. I will buy one right before I do my next oil and filter change. I have been using wix xp oil filters for years but I was just informed a couple of weeks ago about the FRAM Ultra Synthetic Filter,20K mile Change Interval Oil Filter. 99%+ dirt removal efficiency at greater than 20 microns.

Attachments

• 7d818576-1217-482e-ace8-57e7cc03c5c1.b1aedb7a1502cdc23e95f3f4192116db.jpeg
    7d818576-1217-482e-ace8-57e7cc03c5c1.b1aedb7a1502cdc23e95f3f4192116db.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 1
Some manual gearboxes have big magnets installed in their bottom from the factory. They serve as a "Lifetime " oil cleaner = metall particle catcher.

For Example, Nr. 2 in this Picture.

Attachments

• KUPPLUNGSGEHAEUSE-Honda-S2000-2002-S2000-6-gang-Schaltgetriebe-M__0100.jpg
    KUPPLUNGSGEHAEUSE-Honda-S2000-2002-S2000-6-gang-Schaltgetriebe-M__0100.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
For whatever type of vehicle you drive you can see if there is an OEM magnetic drain plug for your specific vehicle. I know that Nissan offers one for my truck. $17.00

I had a magnetic drain plug catch a retention spring that had come dislodged from a crank seal. Amazingly the seal wasn't leaking. This was in a race motor where oil was changed every event. Was glad to have had the magnet, just to have discovered that the seal needed replacing. It wouldn't have passed the screen into the oil pump, but I wouldn't have known it was there if it hadn't dropped out of the pan with oil being drained.

So what about magnetizing ferrous particles that don't get caught by the magnet but then go on to stick somewhere else? If you've ever magnetized a screw driver, you know what I'm talking about.

I like them as another 'gauge' if you will; another way to monitor the engine. Short of cutting open an examining the filter, which many of this crowd do, or a chip detector it is the only easy way to see if an engine is making metal. Can't see them affecting normal wear.

I had one catch the curved tip of a piston squirter that had broken off, letting the oil jet flow across the engine as opposed to under the piston.

I have also had a cheap magnetic plug shear on removal from a new to me car, so buy a good one if you do.

I think they're optional for an engine but absolutely essential for any splash-lubricated gearbox, reducer or diff, and I can't recall ever seeing any without one.
That is until I bought my Hyundai EV. Hyundai/Kia decided it was better to save $3 and let the wear particles circulate in the simple 2-stage gear reducer.
I've been rallying owners worldwide since last month to change their gear oil and in every case reported back so far (perhaps 10) it's the same story.
Ferrous wear particles circulate continuously and and are soon worn down to a black dust, which makes the oil pitch black within about 10,000 km. It's pretty obvious to anyone that ball and roller bearings aren't appreciative of these conditions and we hear of failures once in a while. Of the two failures reported in better detail, it seems the tapered rollers on the final drive so south first.

So, yes, many of us have added aftermarket magnetic drain plugs just like are present in the Leaf which has a similar design. The Bolt and Model 3/Y use the gear oil for cooling the motor additionally, so use a filter to protect the pump. The Bolt's magnet is not easily serviceable but is large enough for its lifetime.

Last edited:
So what about magnetizing ferrous particles that don't get caught by the magnet but then go on to stick somewhere else? If you've ever magnetized a screw driver, you know what I'm talking about.
Moot. If they don't get caught by the magnet they also won't be under it's influence long enough and strong enough to be magnetized.

I bought this one for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is very well made, and works as advertised. But I took it off when I installed the Valvomax System.

Back