Lucas Extreme Duty CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha. I thought maybe it did because you brought it up, thanks for the clarification
smile.gif

Lucas products tend to be low on approvals so that really isn't surprising.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Gotcha. I thought maybe it did because you brought it up, thanks for the clarification
smile.gif

Lucas' "Extreme" line of gun products seems to be very solid, based on what I've seen from labs, and what I'm hearing from people who shoot. A lot.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
smile.gif

Lucas' "Extreme" line of gun products seems to be very solid, based on what I've seen from labs, and what I'm hearing from people who shoot. A lot.

True, but we have many anecdotes of Lucas "Oil Stabilizer" doing "wonders" here in the additive section with no real metric for what the benefits, if any, are. A properly formulated gun oil should not be hard to make, was was pointed out by Tom NJ, a firearm is not a challenging product to lubricate properly
smile.gif

Curious! What gun oil does fireman Tom of NJ currently use?

My handguns never get shot beyond 50 rounds at a time. I could get by just fine using Hoppes Gun Oil. But I demand a top-shelf product and now have probably eight of the top-12 most popular, most accumulated in small sample bottles.

Slip 2000EWL
MPro-7 LPX
Gun Butter
Fireclean
Lucas Extreme
Weapon Shield
Ballistol
Gunzilla

I'm probably good for the next 10 years now.....lol

Last edited:
More data on the Lucas CLP. It does not contain kerosene, but rather, a very similar chemical that falls under the same coding. That's the word from on high, and I'm sure many people will dispute it, but I'll take my sources over internet conjecture. You will have to follow your own compass in that regard.

More data on the Lucas CLP. It does not contain kerosene, but rather, a very similar chemical that falls under the same coding. That's the word from on high, and I'm sure many people will dispute it, but I'll take my sources over internet conjecture. You will have to follow your own compass in that regard.

So Kerosene by one of its many names basically. I'll take a CAS # over somebody trying to sell a product any day
wink.gif

You are welcome to take that CAS # and search for something that isn't Kerosene or Kerosene by another name. CAS #'s have no bias or agenda, they are simply a registration # for a particular chemical.

Other names it could go by are (but are not limited to):
- ICP solvent
- C13-14 isoparaffin
- Turbo fuel A
- HISTOCHOICE CLEARING AGENT
- Mineral Turpentine
- Comsol D-40
- Paint Thinner
- LPA®-170 Solvent
- Paraffinic Naphthenic Solvent
- Safeclear

Just take the CAS # and plug it into google. You will see it goes by all kinds of names.

It's a solid choice for a solvent BTW, as I said earlier. And commonly used for exactly that due to that reason.

36.gif

12.gif

35.gif

My popcorn is pretty yucky, sprayed lightly with Fireclean.
crackmeup2.gif

But the slide on my 9mm has never operated this freely / as slippery prior.
thumbsup2.gif

Ws6....I also luv' the Lucas Extreme Gun Oil BTW..... that one and the Weapon Shield. The MPro7 LPX stinks as bad as motor oil. I emptied that 1/4oz into a 2oz drip spout of Hoppes oil I had remaining. I now call the container Hoppes On Steroids.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
More data on the Lucas CLP. It does not contain kerosene, but rather, a very similar chemical that falls under the same coding.

Is it lamp oil? Diesel oil? Heating oil?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
More data on the Lucas CLP. It does not contain kerosene, but rather, a very similar chemical that falls under the same coding.

Is it lamp oil? Diesel oil? Heating oil?
smile.gif

Kerosene. Just like Jet-A is Kerosene, but it's called Jet-A. It used to be called JP-4. It was still Kerosene.

Originally Posted By: billt460
So we're at the same place. Lucas CLP is Kerosene. And Fireclean is Canola Oil.

That is one way to look at it. It's similar to how someone looks at vehicles. One person may consider a Ford Taurus equal to a Porsche 911 GT2 because "Hey, it's a car. 4 wheels, can go anywhere the other can, what do I care?" The other person may beg to differ. I beg to differ.

This is your Comsol D-40.
http://www.cometchemical.com/MSDS/D40.pdf

This is Kerosene:
http://waterocket.explorer.free.fr/properties_of_kerosene.htm

I would direct you to look at the flash point. That is one readily visible difference in the chemicals.

This is much like your Weapon Shield that you love so much. It uses Chlorine as an EP. However, it uses extremely long chain molecules. Militec-1 did not use such long chains. Because of this, it caused corrosion issues, and lost its NSN number. WS has no such issues.

By your logic though, Militec-1 and WeaponShield both suck because they both use Chlorine as an EP...but I'm sure you don't see it that way. You have been extremely myopic the entire time I've read your posts. Your claiming I never lubricate my weapons because on ONE OCCASION I ran the weapon only lubed once, and not reapplying, to see how it would fare. You took this to mean that "I never lube my rifles". In truth, it makes it difficult for me to see the value in discussing things with you, because you can't be communicated with effectively. So please, ignore this post if you don't understand the logic that similar chemicals can have variants due to the length of the chains, not necessarily the TYPE of molecules IN the chains, and the like. Or do us a favor and throw out your Weaponshield/Militec-1 (same thing, right?
wink.gif
Chlorine EP...)

Also, no, FIREClean is probably only partially Canola oil, again, a product of your broken ability to read/comprehend, or a purposeful trolling attempt in multiple posts about various topics. I'm unsure which. I am, however, coming to the point that I think I'm wasting my time, and you're profiting. You have gotten a lot of information from me, some of which comes from the people who invented the products you use, and all I've gotten from you is a bunch of derp. In the future, I'm just adding you to the ignore list to save myself the time. Enjoy your militec-1, lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
36.gif

12.gif

35.gif

My popcorn is pretty yucky, sprayed lightly with Fireclean.
crackmeup2.gif

But the slide on my 9mm has never operated this freely / as slippery prior.
thumbsup2.gif

Ws6....I also luv' the Lucas Extreme Gun Oil BTW..... that one and the Weapon Shield. The MPro7 LPX stinks as bad as motor oil. I emptied that 1/4oz into a 2oz drip spout of Hoppes oil I had remaining. I now call the container Hoppes On Steroids.
happy2.gif

In empirical lab testing, FIREClean has a very low coefficient of friction. Couple that with the fact that it will pretty much melt and suspend any fouling that isn't large chunks, and you will notice the slide feeling nice and the gun running a looonnng time before it gets sluggish, if yours ever does. My M&P, not so much, but my .22 pistol can.

So Kerosene by one of its many names basically. I'll take a CAS # over somebody trying to sell a product any day
wink.gif

You are welcome to take that CAS # and search for something that isn't Kerosene or Kerosene by another name. CAS #'s have no bias or agenda, they are simply a registration # for a particular chemical.

Other names it could go by are (but are not limited to):
- ICP solvent
- C13-14 isoparaffin
- Turbo fuel A
- HISTOCHOICE CLEARING AGENT
- Mineral Turpentine
- Comsol D-40
- Paint Thinner
- LPA®-170 Solvent
- Paraffinic Naphthenic Solvent
- Safeclear

Just take the CAS # and plug it into google. You will see it goes by all kinds of names.

It's a solid choice for a solvent BTW, as I said earlier. And commonly used for exactly that due to that reason.

I plugged a few in. They all had different physical properties. Flash point varied significantly among them, is what stood out the most. I did not dig deeper, because it seemed to confirm my suspicions that they were indeed different items that fell under the same CAS code.

For example, I used to drive a Firebird. According to my vehicle title. Then it further listed it as a TransAm. A good 150hp difference between the "Firebird" and "TransAm" in 2001. They were both built on the same unibody, though. That is kindof how I'm viewing this CAS# deal. Same unibody...might have a V6 or V8, though.

Kindof like a guy who went into a bar and ordered some H2O, and his buddy said he'd have H2O(too)...same elements...different results.

Last edited:
It's similar to how someone looks at vehicles. One person may consider a Ford Taurus equal to a Porsche 911 GT2 because "Hey, it's a car.

I love listening to you and your silly comparisons. All in some whacked out attempt trying to justify something so similar, you wouldn't know the difference if someone switched it on you. Here's a newsflash. If a person drives a Taurus, then a 911, he, she, or it, is going to know the difference before they get in, and even more after. I don't care if they were blindfolded before, much like "The Pepsi Challenge".

If I gave you a bottle of "Lucas CLP" that I dumped out on the ground, and replaced with Kerosene or Mineral Sprits. You..... Or your gun would not know the difference until you were told. I can say the same exact thing about "Fireclean" and Canola Oil..... Law suits and all. That fact is why you have 26,789 "Gun Oil's" on the market. ALL at ridiculous prices. And people actually believing one is "better" than the other. Yes, even Weapon Shield. At least they conducted a direct comparison wear test no one else has, that visually proved it reduces wear better than most others. Without resorting to reams of data, and assorted other B.S. no one cares about... Let alone understands..... Or cares to try.

Like I said before. Same bottle, same label. What's in it? You tell me. Most likely whatever they had laying around in the bottom of the barrel on that day. Now it's sold as an, "Improved Formula". Since when is motor oil an "improved formula" over ATF? All bottled B.S., nothing more.

Is there something wrong when a gun oil manufacturer changes their formula?

Tell me this Bill! When digging out that motor oil to use on your handguns, what color are the gloves you should be using? What color is the clothespin that pinches your nose.....to avoid the toxicity levels? Are you wearing a mask? You should be while indoors.

..... and you have the nerve/audacity to bemoan the use of body and environment-safer equipment others desire to use.

Wait! You don't care about your body and the environment?

Is there something wrong when a gun oil manufacturer changes their formula?

Only when they do it every 15 minutes.

Tell me this Bill! When digging out that motor oil to use on your handguns, what color are the gloves you should be using? What color is the clothespin that pinches your nose.....to avoid the toxicity levels? Are you wearing a mask? You should be while indoors.

..... and you have the nerve/audacity to bemoan the use of body and environment-safer equipment others desire to use.

Wait! You don't care about your body and the environment?

Not sure what to make of your rant? It doesn't make much sense. I'll say in my 63 years I have never come across a product that worked as well once they change the formula to be more "green", or "environmentally friendly". Most become more worthless than the dung it would take to cover them. And that included Hoppes #9. It is not the same any more. Not only does it not smell the same, it doesn't work as well because they took the Benzene out of it. Now, before you start carrying on about how carcinogenic Benzene is, perhaps it would be better, and help support your argument more conclusively, if you could document the number of people who contracted cancer from using "old formula" Hoppes #9.

And for what it's worth I've been casting lead bullets, and shooting them at indoor ranges for over 45 years. I'm still here, healthy as ever. But regardless, carry on!

This is your Comsol D-40.
http://www.cometchemical.com/MSDS/D40.pdf

This is Kerosene:
http://waterocket.explorer.free.fr/properties_of_kerosene.htm

I would direct you to look at the flash point. That is one readily visible difference in the chemicals.

You looked up a generic kerosene with a COMPLETELY different CAS #. We already went over this, there are various grades of Kerosene just like there are various grades of gasoline. That does not make them more or less Kerosene!

If we are trying to be intellectually honesty here, compare the Comsol D-40 to one of the others I listed with the same CAS # like:

Jet A Aviation Fuel:
http://www.cpchem.com/msds/100000014588_SDS_US_EN.PDF
Flash: 37.8C:
Autoignition: 210C

Comsol D-40:
Flash: 42C
Autoignition: 232C

Shell Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light
http://www.shell.com/business-customers/...47-8-str-en.pdf
Flash: 66C
Autoignition: 220C

HISTOCHOICE CLEARING AGENT
https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/technical/msds/64114.pdf
Flash: 55C
Autoignition: 210C

LPA-170 Solvent
http://www.solventsandpetroleum.com/uploads/6/0/3/7/60372849/lpa170.pdf
Flash: 79C
Autoignition: 231C

DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT
http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics1379.htm
Flash: 66C

Safeclear
https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/89683.htm
Flash: 61C
Autoignition: N/A

Aviation Kerosene
http://sites.petrobras.com.br/minisite/reach/pt/..%5Cdownloads%5Cfichas-tecnicas%5CIngles%5CPEL%5CAviation-Kerosene.pdf
Flash: 40C (closed cup)
Autoignition: 238C

Mineral Spirits
http://megaloid.ca/MSDS/Mineral Spirits.pdf
Flash: >38C
Autoignition: 229C

142 Solvent
http://megaloid.ca/MSDS/142 Solvent.pdf
Flash: >61C

Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon
https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon TR.pdf
Flash: 80C
Autoignition: 254C

Take a look at this table from Citgo:
https://www.citgo.com/CITGOforYourBusiness/Petrochemicals/ProductInformationPetrochemicals.jsp

Look specifically for CAS # 64742-47-8. You will see there is a range of gravity and Distillation temperature as well as the number of differently named chemicals all wearing that same CAS #. There is a range of flash points from 44C to 79C. There is also some small variance in Paraffins and Cycloparaffins, however that appears to have no affect on flash point. The Flash point corresponds with the Distillation temperature.

You will also note they all have aromatics listed as
On the other hand, if we look up the CAS # of the product you linked to we find:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0366.html

Quote:
Synonyms & Trade Names Fuel Oil No. 1, Range oil [Note: A refined petroleum solvent (predominantly C9-C16), which typically is 25% normal paraffins, 11% branched paraffins, 30% monocycloparaffins, 12% dicycloparaffins, 1% tricycloparaffins, 16% mononuclear aromatics & 5% dinuclear aromatics.]

You'll see that this CAS # has aromatics in it. It also has very different levels of paraffins and cycloparaffins making it a different product in the Kerosene family and these differences are why it has a different CAS #.

I plugged a few in. They all had different physical properties. Flash point varied significantly among them, is what stood out the most. I did not dig deeper, because it seemed to confirm my suspicions that they were indeed different items that fell under the same CAS code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Quote:
The flash point is an empirical measurement rather than a fundamental physical parameter. The measured value will vary with equipment and test protocol variations, including temperature ramp rate (in automated testers), time allowed for the sample to equilibrate, sample volume and whether the sample is stirred.

Ed

Bill

Changing formulas every five minutes?.... I know of only one change and you have them shown.
The greenish/blue and the almost black is the Extreme Gun Oil change.

So there's a new, safe formula for Hoppes #9?....... hahahaha, quit lying, will ya'?

We aren't talking lead here either. We are talking cleaning and oiling guns. Quit dancing around the subject.

Lastly, because you are currently cancer-free, then why isn't everyone that's contracted it? Besides, do you even have a clue on what percentage of people with cancer, can trace it's actual cause?
I have two relatives in the cancer-treatment business and the answer is .... very-very few.

But hey, since you desire using those-type cancer risk agents like motor oil, then don't bust anyone's balls here for using much safer products like Fireclean.

So go ahead and save your dime and the heck with the risks. That's the right attitude...... hahahaha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back